• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

PSU Hoops - National Media Sees Chambers as Possible Manning Replacement

Depends on if you’re looking at past results or attempting to predict success moving forward

So, results are only predictive if you like the results. Go it...

Again, it's one thing to have some success versus having none.

So, results are only predictive if you like the results. Go it...

Again, it's one thing to have some success versus having none.

No that's not how any of this works.

KP is a predictive system not a reactive one. Google "predictive analytics" and read about it.

PSU Hoops - Top 50 Team, B1G Cellar Dweller, or Both

The reason KP is good for looking at coaches and analyzing teams moving forward is that it ignores the results of games and is solely looking at points per possession adjusted for strength of each opponent (and this strength is broken down into offense and defense - not simply "this team is X ranked in the country").

The overarching point is that regardless of if a team is 25-0 or 20-5, where the team that is 25-0 may be ranked as the top team in the country based on the results of the games they have played, the 20-5 team may actually be better moving forward based on the data you have for both teams. The most simple explanation of this would be (taken to an extreme) that the 25-0 team beat a bunch of bad teams by a close margin while the 20-5 team beat a bunch of very good teams by a bigger margin, destroyed bad teams, and lost five very close games.

Better yet, RJ just read KP’s own explanation of his system from 15 years ago:

“The first thing you should know about this system is that it is designed to be purely predictive. If you’re looking for a system that rates teams on how “good” their season has been, you’ve come to the wrong place. There are enough systems out there that rank teams based on what is “good” by just about any definition you can think of. So I’d encourage you to google college basketball ratings or even try the opinion polls for something that is more your style.

The purpose of this system is to show how strong a team would be if it played tonight, independent of injuries or emotional factors. Since nobody can see every team play all (or even most) of their games, this system is designed to give you a snapshot of a team’s current level of play.”

Last edited:
He's failed 8 out of 8 years in the NCAAT. The one constant is Bennett and his style.

He's failed 8 out of 8 years in the NCAAT. The one constant is Bennett and his style.

So if and when UVA makes a final four will you STFU about this idiotic line of logic or will you say "well he's ONLY made one final four?"

How many years will we have to suffer through this dumb paradigm with you?

So if and when UVA makes a final four will you STFU about this idiotic line of logic or will you say "well he's ONLY made one final four?"

How many years will we have to suffer through this dumb paradigm with you?

The "dumb paradigm" is to neglect a long history. It will change it a bit, but one out of nine is still not great. He could get there, but he's not close yet.

I can't believe you guys try to convince RJ of something as if he were a normal human being capable of rational thought.

You might as well try to slow the rise of the oceans with a sand bucket.

Big home game tonight against Maryland. With a win our Lions can sneak into a T8 in the top conference in America.

Maryland (a top 20 team) is only a 1.5 point favorite. Pretty weird since they’re playing a terrible team huh RJ? You should be all over this line.

Big home game tonight against Maryland. With a win our Lions can sneak into a T8 in the top conference in America.

Maryland (a top 20 team) is only a 1.5 point favorite. Pretty weird since they’re playing a terrible team huh RJ? You should be all over this line.

With a win, they will move to the ACC?

Anyone who says the Big 10 is the "top conference in America" can't be taken seriously.

How many times do I have to post I very, very, very, very rarely bet individual sports games before you pay attention.

Anyone who says the Big 10 is the "top conference in America" can't be taken seriously.

How many times do I have to post I very, very, very, very rarely bet individual sports games before you pay attention.

Ranking of conferences by AdjEM of team that's expected to go .500 in conference play
Conference Rating Conference
1 Big Ten Conference +17.37
2 Big 12 Conference +16.99
3 Atlantic Coast Conference +16.12
4 Southeastern Conference +14.41
5 Big East Conference +11.38
6 American Athletic Conference +7.34
7 Pac 12 Conference +7.14
8 West Coast Conference +4.98
9 Mid American Conference +4.24
10 Southern Conference +1.08
11 Mountain West Conference +0.73
12 Ivy League +0.60
13 Atlantic 10 Conference +0.58
14 Western Athletic Conference -0.48
15 Sun Belt Conference -0.82 31
16 Conference USA -0.89 32

I'll take the Fighting Turtles in this one.

Ranking of conferences by AdjEM of team that's expected to go .500 in conference play
Conference Rating Conference
1 Big Ten Conference +17.37
2 Big 12 Conference +16.99
3 Atlantic Coast Conference +16.12
4 Southeastern Conference +14.41
5 Big East Conference +11.38
6 American Athletic Conference +7.34
7 Pac 12 Conference +7.14
8 West Coast Conference +4.98
9 Mid American Conference +4.24
10 Southern Conference +1.08
11 Mountain West Conference +0.73
12 Ivy League +0.60
13 Atlantic 10 Conference +0.58
14 Western Athletic Conference -0.48
15 Sun Belt Conference -0.82 31
16 Conference USA -0.89 32

I don't care what that says. The B10 is not the best conference in the country.

I very, very, very, very rarely bet individual sports games

giphy.gif

I don't care what that says. The B10 is not the best conference in the country.

"I don't care about objective data and facts. My feelings are what matter."

RJ the millennial.

Back