• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

PSU Hoops - National Media Sees Chambers as Possible Manning Replacement

Second best. And name names for tougher ones. As many as you want until you feel Penn State is appropriately rated SOS wise.

If you don’t know how good teams are beyond their name you’ve got no chance of accurately projecting SOS.

Of course there are, but there's no sane world that makes P$U's schedule the toughest one in America this year. It's batshit crazy to say it is.

Once again, all of the objective attempts at ranking teams and schedules disagree with you and rank their schedule 2-3 in the nation.

Second best. And name names for tougher ones. As many as you want until you feel Penn State is appropriately rated SOS wise.

If you don’t know how good teams are beyond their name you’ve got no chance of accurately projecting SOS.

I haven't been snarky with you...why are you descending...L'ville, Duke and VT come to mind off the top of my head. I'm sure there are many more.

I haven't been snarky with you...why are you descending...L'ville, Duke and VT come to mind off the top of my head. I'm sure there are many more.

So name 10 and explain your reasoning. Go ahead, we're waiting. I know you have the time.

You mean the same VT whose out of conference schedule included a LOSS to Penn State?

I’m snarky because you’re just criticizing objective statistics without offering up comparisons or alternatives. These don’t exist in a vacuum. For a team to not be a top SOS team there have to be other teams this year ranked ahead of them.

Penn state has played 17 top 50 teams as of right now (doesn’t even count adjustments for playing top 75-100 teams on the road). The three you named have played 10, 14, and 15 and also have each played multiple teams outside the top 200 while Penn State has played one (VPI has played 7).

The thing about SOS that is discounted by plenty of people all the time is that playing multiple teams in the bottom 50 in the country will tank your SOS. While people may think playing Maryland eastern shore and Gardner Webb are the same these are about as different as Gardner Webb and Illinois (over 100 spots difference). By avoiding teams in the bottom half of the country tour schedule is very very difficult if you’re also in a P5 conference.

if you want to be snarky, no one who believed for years that there is no such thing as a hot hand in basketball and that PSU has the second toughest schedule in the nation should be taken seriously.

if you want to be snarky, no one who believed for years that there is no such thing as a hot hand in basketball and that PSU has the second toughest schedule in the nation should be taken seriously.

#feelings

Going off posting resume doesn't seem a wise move for RJ

I still don’t believe a hot hand exists to a statistically significant degree. I believe in clustering.

Then you don't understand the game.

The concept that due to statistics you'd rather have a guy who shoots 45% from three who is 0-5 take the shot versus a guy who is a 30% shooter and is 4-4 is why coaches win and stat geeks lose.

Last edited:
Then you don't understand the game.

The concept that due to statistics you'd rather have a guy who shoots 45% from three who is 0-5 take the shot versus a guy who is a 30% shooter and is 4-4 is why coaches win and stat geeks lose.

That’s not how probability works, but ok.

Any coach that would rather have a 30% shooter take a big shot than a 45% shooter is an idiot.

If down 3 with 5 secs to go, I’d definitely have Iguodala (5-6 from 3 in the game) take the shot than Curry (2-10).

Agreed, can’t believe Bulls went with Jordan (14/34) over Kukoc (7/14) in game 6 of the nba finals

We have 279 posts on a thread about PSU? WTF?

Some of you guys will argue over anything

Agreed, can’t believe Bulls went with Jordan (14/34) over Kukoc (7/14) in game 6 of the nba finals

How does that compare to 4-4 vs. 0-5??

MJ was only slightly below 50%...but keep on trying...maybe you'll make some sense.

Back