• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

PSU Hoops - National Media Sees Chambers as Possible Manning Replacement

So what's your opinion on the fact that since you claimed that Penn State was wildly overrated in these rating systems that they are five and two in the Big Ten with a two and two record against ranked opponents?

They have also lost to bad teams. Why don't you talk about them being under .333 in their conference?

Here are a couple of real world decisions- If Jaylen Hoard was 4-4 on threes and Brandon was 0-5, if I had one shot left, there would be no hesitation in giving it to Hoard. Or if Barrett was 5-5 and Reddish was 0-5, RJ gets the last shot.

Games aren't played by computers. They are played by human beings. If you haven't made a shot (and aren't a superstar), you will most likely have less confidence in your next shot than the guy who hasn't missed.

They have also lost to bad teams. Why don't you talk about them being under .333 in their conference?

Here are a couple of real world decisions- If Jaylen Hoard was 4-4 on threes and Brandon was 0-5, if I had one shot left, there would be no hesitation in giving it to Hoard. Or if Barrett was 5-5 and Reddish was 0-5, RJ gets the last shot.

Games aren't played by computers. They are played by human beings. If you haven't made a shot (and aren't a superstar), you will most likely have less confidence in your next shot than the guy who hasn't missed.

Because it is not measuring their record. It is measuring how good of a team they are as in if they played any other team on a neutral court would they be expected to win. Based on the measurement you said wildly overrated PSU, it really underrated how good they were.

Reddish and Barrett are pretty much a wash from 3. Running a 3 point shot play for a player who has 11 made 3s all year is lunacy.

READ the post...he has made FOUR that night...what he's done before doesn't matter. Nor am I saying if it's the beginning of the game.

My bad about Reddisn/Barrett, a few games ago there was a big difference...change it to Kenny Williams and Cam Johnson...I'll take the 4-4 KW over 0-5 Cam.

Even if a shooter who only made 11 going into a game was for 4/4 I still would not run a game deciding play at the end of the game for that player. I would run it for my best player. And most coaches apparently agree with that.

Yep, send them to the State College HS junior prom. That's a dance they could qualify for.

Penn State locks up a bye in the first round of the B1G tournament and moves up to #39 in KenPom; will face either Keyshawn Woods and tOSU or lil' Pitino and Minnesota this Thursday

Kinda like our chances to make a run if I'm honest -- fraud Minnesota, then Purdue who always sucks in March, then a fading team in likely Michigan or Iowa. Let's do this!!

BIG TEN SECOND ROUND.

#10 Penn State Nittany Lions (14-17, 7-13) vs. #7 tournament-bound Minnesota Golden Gophers (9-11, 19-12).

United Center.

Chicago, Illinois.

6:00 PM CT.

Big Ten Network.

Penn State (-2.5).

giphy.gif

Today is the day! I’m so ducking excited I can’t sleep. WE ARE!

BIG TEN SECOND ROUND.

#10 Penn State Nittany Lions (14-17, 7-13) vs. #7 tournament-bound Minnesota Golden Gophers (9-11, 19-12).

United Center.

Chicago, Illinois.

6:00 PM CT.

Big Ten Network.

Penn State (-2.5).

giphy.gif

But Minnesota won more games?! By a lot!? How can they be the underdog!? If only there were some kind of metric(s) or predictive framework that could help me understand!

Per KenPom's log5 analysis, Penn State has a 1.1% chance of hoisting the coveted Big 10 trophy this weekend. Do you believe in miracles? YESSS!!!!

I thought about snatching up tickets for tonight's game and flying out but have work conflicts.

Per KenPom's log5 analysis, Penn State has a 1.1% chance of hoisting the coveted Big 10 trophy this weekend. Do you believe in miracles? YESSS!!!!

I thought about snatching up tickets for tonight's game and flying out but have work conflicts.

tenor.gif

rj is putting in quite the performance on this thread. excellent, even for him.

These posts were made on February 13, 2019 when Penn State was 9-15 (2-11).

Thanks for proving my point. My initial post INCLUDED Penn State's 8-15 record not just the loss to Rutgers.

BTW, they are LAST place in their conference. They have TWO conference wins. It's ABSURD than any ranking would have a team that 2-11 in their own conference to be #58 in the nation.

I'm not talking about anyone other than Penn State.

It's one thing if they were 5-8 or 4-9 in their conference, but they aren't. They are 2-11 and in LAST place. They have also lost to three out of the other four worst teams in the Big We Can't Count conference. They have also lost to bad teams like DePaul and Bradley.

Sorry, there is no rational way to make this shitshow be ranked #58.

Then it should be showing that they will continue losing. If it's truly predictive, that's what it should do.

Since then Penn State is 6-2 and has moved up 20 spots in KP to the top 40. I guess that the "predictive" KP system was wrong by RJ's metrics. It showed Penn State would win more games moving forward instead of showing that they would continue losing. Lo and behold, Penn State won more games moving forward and did not continue losing.

Similarly, Bradley and Colgate won their conference tournaments and will be going dancing while UMBC and Wright State have made their conference championships (these are the "bad teams" that helped make up Penn State's schedule that cannot possibly be a top five difficult schedule).

Time to keep proving the haters wrong boys!

Back