• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

PSU Hoops - National Media Sees Chambers as Possible Manning Replacement

They beat a bunch of crap teams.

But they must be playing in the best conference in the history NCAA men's basketball if as the #40 in the country, they are about a 90-1 underdog to win their conference tournament. If the B10 is really that good, EVERY team should get a spot in The Dance.

Well no because you have to actually win games to make the NCAAT since the tournament is based off of resume and wins. As you know from our previous discussions, KenPom is a predictive evaluative tool.

And even if they did beat a "bunch of crap teams" (which I don't concede), why should a team that was 2-11 at one point in conference play be able to rattle off 5 wins in 7 games if they were truly awful as you suggested? Wake sure as hell didn't come close to rattling off five wins in 7 games in the ACC and they certainly didn't win three conference games by 16+ points over the last six games.

Even if a shooter who only made 11 going into a game was for 4/4 I still would not run a game deciding play at the end of the game for that player. I would run it for my best player. And most coaches apparently agree with that.

My best player had a 3 game stretch where he went 0 for 13 from the outside this season. He would still be my primary option every time in a game-deciding situation.

pretty sure if you kicked WF out of the ACC, the ACC would be the toughest conference in the country this year, not the B1G

RJ is wrong about PSU and is probably wrong about how coaches should react to a perceived hot hand, but he is technically right that there is a such thing as a statistically significant “hot hand” in basketball.

Well no because you have to actually win games to make the NCAAT since the tournament is based off of resume and wins. As you know from our previous discussions, KenPom is a predictive evaluative tool.

And even if they did beat a "bunch of crap teams" (which I don't concede), why should a team that was 2-11 at one point in conference play be able to rattle off 5 wins in 7 games if they were truly awful as you suggested? Wake sure as hell didn't come close to rattling off five wins in 7 games in the ACC and they certainly didn't win three conference games by 16+ points over the last six games.

They had ONE good win that group. Four of the five wins were against teams that were tied or below them in league standings.

Minnesota is in EVERY bracketology out there and they are 3 point dogs today to Penn St on a neutral court. It is not that hard to comprehend what the analytic tool is providing. It is providing a power rankings for all teams after considering all things equal. For someone who hates KP, you sure were pimping the Wake 2017's offense based off his #s.

Minnesota is in EVERY bracketology out there and they are 3 point dogs today to Penn St on a neutral court. It is not that hard to comprehend what the analytic tool is providing. It is providing a power rankings for all teams after considering all things equal. For someone who hates KP, you sure were pimping the Wake 2017's offense based off his #s.

uhhhh

I understand exactly what you are saying, but I totally disagree with saying the B10 is the best conference in the country.

As to using our KP offensive rating, the best way to defeat someone's argument is to use what they believe in to defeat them. If you say, X is a great system and I can use X's system to contradict your statements, you have no honest defense and are hypocritical if you say "not in this case".

It's a pretty basic concept.

Last edited:
so basically MILLENNIAL kenpom saying when he fucks up it's because the team got lucky not that he was wrong.

Now I get it.

What unmitigated BS.

I understand exactly what you are saying, but I totally disagree with saying the B10 is the best conference in the country.

As to using our KP offensive rating, the best way to defeat someone's argument is to use what they believe in to defeat them. If you say, X is a great system and I can use X's system to contradict your statements, you have no honest defense and are hypocritical if you say "not in this case".

It's a pretty basic concept.

What about all the other metrics that aren’t KP, that use different types of metrics, that also have Penn State ranked pretty high?

SOS is inherently flawed. Once you impose it, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It's heightened when a team plays 2/3 of their games reinforcing it. Of course, there is a small use for looking at it, but it's not nearly as accurate as it is made out to be.

I just read this whole thread for the first time. Great entertainment. This stuck out for me:

Yep, beating a bad team by one makes you a believable bubble team...

And I remembered these posts from a couple of weeks ago:

Wins count more than "good losses".

Unless I'm betting, I don't give a damn about losing margins. The object is to get to wins. Accepting close losses is accepting losing. Get those Jimmies and Joes.

A win is a win...

Also, this one from Feb 21, post #21. LOL.

Well I think we're done here.

I’m addicted to the game boys.

And like I always say to people that criticize KP and other stats: what specifically should be changed or what is wrong with it? Criticizing outcomes without looking at methodology is odd.

You know I love the players....you love the GAME.

Also if UVa loses today to State does that help Penn state

In summary.

Penn State ranked #68.

RJ claims rating system totally overrates Penn State.

Since that time, Penn State has been playing like a top 30 team.

RJ doubles down.

Back