• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump to declare national emergency over wall funding

Newenglanddeac

Reaction score
I’m old enough to remember when conservatives claimed to believe in limited government and following the constitution.

Hypocrites.

I’m old enough to remember when conservatives claimed to believe in limited government and following the constitution.

Hypocrites.

Better strategy was pretending it was already built, now it will bring more attention to his failures when it gets held up in court. Where Republicans I would assume hope it gets smacked down or opens quite the precedent for things.

Is this true?

Good for you, Donald J Trump. Build that wall!

That is the Moral thing to do for all involved.

Shortsighted on so many levels. Trump really doesn't care what happens after he's done.

Last edited:
Wrong again..

Great move!

Proud of ol’ Orange. He did the right thing. Bravo,Mr President!

Seems like a smart move. Trump gets to save face on his campaign pledge, and when it's struck down by the courts he can say he needs to be re-elected so he can appoint more judges.

Yeah that’s probably the campaign thinking but the inability to build the wall is a massive failure for him and he could just tell them he is building it instead of keeping the failure in the news.

So this National Emergency will force Mexico to build the wall ?

We have reached authoritarian dictatorship levels with this national emergency shit. This is straight out of the fascism playbook.

We have reached authoritarian dictatorship levels with this national emergency shit. This is straight out of the fascism playbook.

I was trying to see exactly what funding is allowed to be reallocated under a state of emergency and stumbled across this from the Wikipedia article on States of Emergency in general:

Though fairly uncommon in democracies, dictatorial regimes often declare a state of emergency that is prolonged indefinitely for the life of the regime, or for extended periods of time so that derogations can be used to override human rights of their citizens usually protected by the International Covenant on Civil and political rights.[4] In some situations, martial law is also declared, allowing the military greater authority to act.

I imagine this is unpopular but will get up to 35-40 percent approval encompassing Donald’s base.

Nothing says "emergency" like waiting 8 weeks to declare a national emergency.

Saw a poll that it’s 66% overall disapprove of the emergency for the wall, 33% disapprove but it’s 70 something if identify Republican and like 79% if identify conservative. So you know the usual rube support with maybe a small peel away of people that are smart enough to think precedent.

Finally. Precedent for a democrat to confiscate guns or other property. There's really no downside here.

Back