• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The ACC Gets It Right

tagsfan

Reaction score
The match-ups for the next 3 seasons have been announced. All the Big Four schools have other Big Four schools as annual H&H opponents. Wake gets State and Dook.

Wake has had H & H against State and Duke for like the last 8 seasons.

Wake has had H & H against State and Duke for like the last 8 seasons.

My point is that, in my book, carrying on rivalries dating back 50 years is a good thing. There was never any doubt that Dook & UNC would be playing twice annually but State and Wake could have been paired with schools such as BC or Pitt as annual H&H games. I don't think many Wake fans would have been thrilled at those prospects (aside from replacing a likely loss to Dook with an easier game).

Right. What is new about this announcement? Has UNC also been added as a home and home?

The new information is basically the rotation of H&H opponents, which becomes next season because the ACC is going to a 20-game conference schedule.

So:

Home-and-home ACC basketball opponents for the next 3 seasons, as the league moves to 20-game schedule (in addition to N.C. State and Duke):

2019-20: UNC, BC, Notre Dame, Clemson
2020-21: GT, Pitt, VT, UVa.
2021-22: FSU, Miami, Louisville, Syracuse

So the ACC didn't get it right and we don't have a home and home against UNC going forward.

Saw rumors on twitter a few months ago the ACC plans to open the seasons moving forward with an ACC game (with the 20 game schedule). It will be interesting to see if that comes to fruition.

It all about programming for the ACC Network. Two months of OOC games in November and December won't draw viewers.

So the ACC didn't get it right and we don't have a home and home against UNC going forward.

Just like they screwed the pooch when they ended the longest football rivalry in NC. And now we play Chapel Hill once every five years in conference and have to resort to scheduling non-conference games with them.

Saw rumors on twitter a few months ago the ACC plans to open the seasons moving forward with an ACC game (with the 20 game schedule). It will be interesting to see if that comes to fruition.

99% chance this does happen and it will be so dumb.

It all about programming for the ACC Network. Two months of OOC games in November and December won't draw viewers.

Cool, so we can lose our first game instead of eeking out a win against San Dimas High School.

At least with Duke coming to the Joel every year, fans get to see their one & dones. That's not as big a deal where Carolina is concerned.

As a fan of a non-NC ACC school, let me heartily say "fuck the Big 4". Sincerely.

The majority of the conference is treated as 2nd rate citizens by the NC mafia and it's fucking annoying. I hope UNC gets H&H against Syracuse for the next 20 years.

And extra fuuuuuck Greensboro. I grew up in NC, that place is a shithole and should never host anything. Play one ACCT in Charlotte every decade at the most (as often as it's hosted in say ... Orlando) and the rest in real, major cities that have ACC ties.

There, that feels better.

As a fan of a non-NC ACC school, let me heartily say "fuck the Big 4". Sincerely.

The majority of the conference is treated as 2nd rate citizens by the NC mafia and it's fucking annoying. I hope UNC gets H&H against Syracuse for the next 20 years.

And extra fuuuuuck Greensboro. I grew up in NC, that place is a shithole and should never host anything. Play one ACCT in Charlotte every decade at the most (as often as it's hosted in say ... Orlando) and the rest in real, major cities that have ACC ties.

Twenty-five years ago, your argument might have made sense but now give me a break. Expansion has taken away any advantage or preference the NC schools had. Wake should be playing the other NC schools every year in football and home and home every year in basketball. It's ludicrous that they don't. Name another state with 4 schools in the same conference that don't play each other annually.

There wouldn't be an ACC without the Big 4. And Georgia Tech athletics would be even more of an afterthought nationally than they already are if the ACC hadn't let them in.

And those major cities would ATL and ?????????????????? We ain't going to Miami for a tourney anytime soon.

99% chance this does happen and it will be so dumb.

It is definitely happening in November 2019 with the first year of the ACC Network....already been announced that there will be 7 conference games and the 15th team will play a high-caliber non-conference opponent to start the season....remains to be seen whether or not it will happen to start off the 2020-21 season and beyond, but I'd be a fan. Was nice having some big non-conference games on that first Tuesday of the season this year, much better than starting off with some nobody that you are expected to beat by 30 points.

#biffbatsignal

bless your heart

Back