• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Republican Presidential Nominees

Plus it gives people like Junebug and jhmd someone to write-in during the General so they can proudly proclaim that they “didn’t vote for Trump” while they express how troubled they are that he didn’t pivot in his second term.

I was just about to post this.

Principled conservatives can now claim that they would have vote for any Democrat other than Clinton and (whoever wins the 2020 nomination).

Hogan rips RNC for shielding Trump from primary challenge
The Maryland governor, weighing a White House bid, said he expects to visit New Hampshire in the next few months.
By ALEX ISENSTADT 02/21/2019 04:31 PM EST Updated 02/21/2019 05:54 PM EST
Republican Gov. Larry Hogan said Thursday he expects to make a springtime trip to New Hampshire as he weighs a 2020 challenge to Donald Trump — and accused the Republican National Committee of going to extraordinary lengths to shield the president from a potentially draining primary.

“Typically they try to be fair arbiters of a process and I’ve never seen anything like it and I’ve been involved in the Republican Party for most of my life. It’s unprecedented. And in my opinion it’s not the way we should be going about our politics,” Hogan, a popular two-term Maryland governor, said in an interview with POLITICO. “It’s very undemocratic and to say, ‘We’re in some cases not going to allow a debate, we may not have a primary…’”

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/21/larry-hogan-2020-trump-1179635

I know from 2016 that Republicans get really angry about an NC showing preference for one candidate.

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan calls Democratic policies ‘reckless’, ‘pro-criminal’

Republican Gov. Larry Hogan, who touts himself as a model of how to work across the aisle, lashed out Monday at the Democrats who control Maryland’s General Assembly, calling their policies financially “reckless.”

As lawmakers entered the frenzied final three weeks of their annual legislative session, Hogan said bills that would significantly increase spending on education and raise the minimum wage would “devastate” the state’s economy.

He accused Democrats of “pandering” to special interests on school funding. And he lambasted them for ignoring his proposal to impose mandatory minimum sentences for repeat violent offenders who use guns and rejecting a bill to allow school resource officers in Baltimore City to carry guns.

The 2018 election is over, time to tack right...

Maryland had their choice - they chose Hogan.

Yes they did - 55-43%. That's by 12 points in a blue state after he won his 1st term by 4-5 points.

In between in 2016, Hillary won MD 60-34%, van Hollen won the senate by 61-36, and the Dems won 7 of the 8 house seats as they usually do.

Yes they did - 55-43%. That's by 12 points in a blue state after he won his 1st term by 4-5 points.

In between in 2016, Hillary won MD 60-34%, van Hollen won the senate by 61-36, and the Dems won 7 of the 8 house seats as they usually do.
You don't have to tell me what Hillary Clinton and Larry Hogan have in common, its quite evident. I hope they enjoy him.

Hmm, now how could a democratic candidate for governor in a "blue state" during a wave election have such difficulty fundraising...its a mystery

"...At the end of August, Hogan had $9.4 million to spend for his re-election campaign, compared to Jealous’s mere $385,000. And the gap never closed. In the final two weeks of the campaign, Hogan had almost 12 times more cash than Jealous, or $3.3 million to the Democrat’s $275,000. Few people wanted to donate to a race that seemed uncompetitive, which in turn made it even less competitive as the weeks went on..."

You don't have to tell me what Hillary Clinton and Larry Hogan have in common, its quite evident. I hope they enjoy him.

Marylanders apparently are enjoying having him as governor. His approval ratings have been in the 70% range. Similar to the numbers Baker is enjoying in MA. And yeah, he badly outraised Jealous in a blue state in a year when most Dems were flush with money. Wonder how that happened.

Marylanders apparently are enjoying having him as governor. His approval ratings have been in the 70% range. Similar to the numbers Baker is enjoying in MA. And yeah, he badly outraised Jealous in a blue state in a year when most Dems were flush with money. Wonder how that happened.

I actually dont wonder at all. It's very clear that the Democratic establishment and donor class dont support candidates like Jealous, and tax and spend Democrats face enormous resistance in the wealthy eastern seaboard states, where an authoritarian Republican governor can have a 70% approval rating. Maybe "blue state" isnt quite specific enough to describe states like Maryland.

Back