• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Republican Presidential Nominees

If any Republican candiate can do anything to point out Trump's failures, lies, and hypocrisy, and get any traction with the media in so doing, it's a net positive for the general election and the nation.

Yeah. This is free anti-Trump campaigning for the general. If Walsh can get 2% of current Trump supporters to not vote in the general or vote 3rd party, it’s a positive for Dems.

Stupid tweet.

1) Tammy Duckworth took his seat and I don't see him getting it back.
2) I can't help it if people in one congressional district are morons.

Not a stupid tweet. Maybe the specifics are off, but in the end this guy is going to get and use his media attention to push the agenda of and legitimacy of a depraved political party. Having the appearance of alternative voices within the party will give cover for “reasonable republicans” to continue to support their party.

Yeah. This is free anti-Trump campaigning for the general. If Walsh can get 2% of current Trump supporters to not vote in the general or vote 3rd party, it’s a positive for Dems.

Walsh ain't getting 2%. More like 0.2%.

Absent Walsh (or Mr. Appalachian Trail) taking a shit while doing a spot on MSNBC, nothing they do is going to penetrate the conservative bubble. They won't be covered other than to mock them.

I disagree. Everyone knew Trump was an incompetent narcissistic shithead prior to November 2016, but Republicans used any excuse as cover to rationalize voting for him. They will do it again in 2020 and this guy running will just give them a reason to say: ‘I don’t support the man but I support the Republican Party.’

Not a stupid tweet. Maybe the specifics are off, but in the end this guy is going to get and use his media attention to push the agenda of and legitimacy of a depraved political party. Having the appearance of alternative voices within the party will give cover for “reasonable republicans” to continue to support their party.

giphy.gif

I disagree. Everyone knew Trump was an incompetent narcissistic shithead prior to November 2016, but Republicans used any excuse as cover to rationalize voting for him. They will do it again in 2020 and this guy running will just give them a reason to say: ‘I don’t support the man but I support the Republican Party.’

giphy.gif

lol

This will only make pubs love him more. He’s the embodiment of white male victimhood. Any challenges just endear him to his tiny dicked mayonnaise monster base.

In the last round of redistricting, Joe Walsh was drawn into a Republican-leaning exurban district that had another Republican rep. He ran in another district rather than competing against an incumbent Republican in a primary. (In that race he accused Tammy Duckworth of talking about her military service too much.)

The exurban district was flipped by Dem Lauren Underwood in 2018, and is a prime target for the Republicans in 2020.

In the last round of redistricting, Joe Walsh was drawn into a Republican-leaning exurban district that had another Republican rep. He ran in another district rather than competing against an incumbent Republican in a primary. (In that race he accused Tammy Duckworth of talking about her military service too much.)

The exurban district was flipped by Dem Lauren Underwood in 2018, and is a prime target for the Republicans in 2020.

So he had every chance of winning it anyway.

Democracy dies not in the darkness, but in broad daylight apparently

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/09/08/shawn-rosenberg-democracy-228045

Not sure where to put this, so this is just as good a place as any. Not an uplifting piece at all, but Shawn Rosenberg writes about the demise of western democracy.

...Taking democracy’s place, Rosenberg says, will be right-wing populist governments that offer voters simple answers to complicated questions.

And therein lies the core of his argument: Democracy is hard work and requires a lot from those who participate in it. It requires people to respect those with different views from theirs and people who don’t look like them. It asks citizens to be able to sift through large amounts of information and process the good from the bad, the true from the false. It requires thoughtfulness, discipline and logic...

we-are-fucked-south-park.jpg

Pretty much. I've had this feeling the last couple of years, and Rosenberg is articulating it well for me. I'm also reading "American Carnage" by Jim Alberta, a Politico writer, right now. It's about the decade or so long populist takeover of the Pub party, and yeah, it's also a depressing and maddening, though informative, read.

It's a good read but I think some of causation is off. Lack of trust in elites didn't erode democracy. Erosion of democracy and desire for a strong leader to tell them what they want to hear lead to lack of trust in elites. Racism isn't a product of the erosion of democracy. It's a cause. Wealthy white men used democracy to lead until it didn't work for them anymore then they moved on.

Back