• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Muggsy Bogues ON ESPN website

TheReff

Rod Griffin
Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...her-chuckie-drug-addiction-found-meaning-life

Muggsy earned a scholarship to Wake Forest and set an ACC record at the time for career assists. Stroh joined the U.S. Army. He was at Fort Hood, Texas, listening to the radio the night his brother's name was called as the 12th pick in the 1987 NBA draft. Their sister, Sherron, or Helen, worked for 32 years in Baltimore's parks and recreation department. She died from lung cancer in 2015, and a year later Baltimore's mayor dedicated a day in June as Sherron Bogues Day.

But Chuckie, on the other hand?

It was 1985 or 1986, and Muggsy was home on a break from Wake Forest. As Chuckie starts to tell the story, Muggsy says, "Oh, my goodness" and gently slams his head on the table.

Damn. Great piece.

Magnificent. Required reading for all Deac fans. Thanks for posting.

Excellent article. Thanks for sharing...Man, I had no clue that Muggs went through everything that he did.

I was at Wake at the same time with Muggsy. Two years ahead of me in school, I believe. Played quite a bit of pickup with him. Fastest human being I have ever witnessed live and the second is not even close. Was at the game against Maryland where we played a box and one with Muggsy guarding Lenny Bias. Bias couldn't bring the ball down below his shoulders the whole game.

Saw him chase down a ball running full speed towards the baseline - grabbed the ball and cut 90 degrees on a dime to go back under the basket for a reverse layup. The guy chasing him down couldn't make the same cut obviously and ran into the bleachers instead.

He also worked his ASS off in school. Muggsy was probably the LEAST likely Wake student I have ever encountered as far as likely to graduate. I didn't understand a word he said my frosh year but by end of my sophomore year I could, and he looked you in the eye when he talked. To try and compete against guys on average 13-14 inches taller. In the ACC. And go to a school that Dunbar simply did not prepare you for - and to succeed. Amazing.

I was at Wake at the same time with Muggsy. Two years ahead of me in school, I believe. Played quite a bit of pickup with him. Fastest human being I have ever witnessed live and the second is not even close. Was at the game against Maryland where we played a box and one with Muggsy guarding Lenny Bias. Bias couldn't bring the ball down below his shoulders the whole game.

Saw him chase down a ball running full speed towards the baseline - grabbed the ball and cut 90 degrees on a dime to go back under the basket for a reverse layup. The guy chasing him down couldn't make the same cut obviously and ran into the bleachers instead.

He also worked his ASS off in school. Muggsy was probably the LEAST likely Wake student I have ever encountered as far as likely to graduate. I didn't understand a word he said my frosh year but by end of my sophomore year I could, and he looked you in the eye when he talked. To try and compete against guys on average 13-14 inches taller. In the ACC. And go to a school that Dunbar simply did not prepare you for - and to succeed. Amazing.

Great article. Thanks for sharing that tidbit.

Amen Jaybone!! I reffed a bunch of Coach Tacy's practices during that time. Final 8 season of 1984 was Muggsy's freshman year and he absolutely made Danny Young & Delaney Rudd into NBA guards having to play against him every day in practice. They had to learn how to protect the ball. Would laugh & "complain" to me showing the scratch marks on their arms after practices from Muggsy's finger nails. All I could say was "can't call what I can't see". He was so fast. Could go for a steal at mid-court & be back in front of his man in 2 steps. Really quite a nice guy too.

Back