• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Has Blogersodear given up on new basketball coach?

Missed that earlier. I don't necessarily disagree, but you think that his ability to get the transfers will correlate to success on the high school recruiting trail as well?

You are truly insufferable. I'm not asking you to "write my columns for me".

My primary point is to prove to you that you aren't the only one who does the damn research, but you can't wrap your head around the notion that anything other than what is done on your timeframe or your way is worth anything.

I've done the research. I know the answers, that's why I am asking you why you think you know more about it than I do.

You're writing columns presuming to know the "answers" to who we should hire as the next coach and you claiming I'm condescending for questioning you. I read your first two columns. There was some basic out of context descriptive statistics. That's it. I'm trying to put what Miller has done in context with the rest of the SoCon and the national landscape. You can't even explain why Wes Miller is a better option than the three coaches ahead of him from his own conference.

Is your use of the word realistic based on your opinion or is it based on sources/insider knowledge?

That seems like a distinction to make clearer before you lose your shit.

How is me asking "alright who should we get" me "losing my shit"?

It's clearly my definition of "unrealistic" and for the guys that I labeled that way I explained why I labeled them that way.

Do you think hiring guys who have made their career as a head coach so far by recruiting junior college players and transfers is realistic based on Wake Forest's standards with the current administration and AD?

ah i now see that doofus is rightfully getting shit because he called miller a home run candidate (not to mention calling wojo the top pick). seems like there are more than some who seemingly feel all candidates much have some previous connection to wake / acc basketball.

certainly hope we end up taking a much broader look than that

Missed that earlier. I don't necessarily disagree, but you think that his ability to get the transfers will correlate to success on the high school recruiting trail as well?

I don't really see why not. Identifying talent is a skill, I don't think somebody is magically good at only identifying good players on other college rosters and not high-school recruits

You're writing columns presuming to know the "answers" to who we should hire as the next coach and you claiming I'm condescending for questioning you. I read your first two columns. There was some basic out of context descriptive statistics. That's it. I'm trying to put what Miller has done in context with the rest of the SoCon and the national landscape. You can't even explain why Wes Miller is a better option than the three coaches ahead of him from his own conference.

I am writing on 23 guys I think could possibly be our next head coach. How is that "presuming to know the answers". I said that I knew the answers of who has succeeded at a mid-major level relative to their conference because I've already looked it up.

I have explained literally 3+ times on this thread why I feel Wes Miller is in a tier by himself. You don't have to agree with me on that but I have explained it.

Forbes is in my next article. Mike Young at Wofford is good too and I wouldn't dislike that hire. Bob Richey is young as well and has done well at Furman, plus he makes sense given the Buddie connection to Wake, but he is in his second season as a D1 head

ah i now see that doofus is rightfully getting shit because he called miller a home run candidate (not to mention calling wojo the top pick). seems like there are more than some who seemingly feel all candidates much have some previous connection to wake / acc basketball.

certainly hope we end up taking a much broader look than that

I did not call him a home run candidate - he's in a tier below that.

I do think it's important to have connection to the area you are recruiting, as well as how Wake functions given the admin and AD care greatly about that aspect.

I'm not apologizing for thinking Wojo would be a fantastic hire.

I'll defend doof here -- any one of us is welcome to start our own blog posting our own opinions, and this forum certainly provides that to some degree. If he were not open to feedback and were taking his opinion on the gospel that'd be one thing, but he seems open to the response he's been getting here (and I assume the blog, haven't read the comments there)

I'll defend doof here -- any one of us is welcome to start our own blog posting our own opinions, and this forum certainly provides that to some degree. If he were not open to feedback and were taking his opinion on the gospel that'd be one thing, but he seems open to the response he's been getting here (and I assume the blog, haven't read the comments there)

I appreciate the kind words.

I certainly have been more combative today than I intended to be. I don't care about people ripping my opinions, hell we all have them, but it does irritate me when people complain about my timing on the articles or when I should release them.

My bad for coming off as an asshole. Not my intent.

Finally, I never meant to insinuate that my opinion should hold any more weight than anybody else's. My response to Ph about "holding the answers" was about who has done well relative to their conference, not who we should hire.

I think we all agree that his columns are useful, but he seems to be losing his shit because people are daring to question him and his endorsement of Miller.

I think we all agree that his columns are useful, but he seems to be losing his shit because people are daring to question him and his endorsement of Miller.

I don't care if you dislike my endorsement. I think he would be a great hire, if you don't then more power to ya. I've explained why I feel the way that I do and most have said they don't hold the same qualifications in their mind that I do. That will obviously yield a vastly different list.

I don't think he's losing his shit. He's welcome to ask questions of those taking issue with his opinions -- true criticism must have an alternative answer

Also to the extent that doofus needs defending hes not Miller or bust. He’s done a lot of research of what he believes are realistic choices and crowd sourced with the BSD crew what around 10-12 big wake fans believed would and should be on Wake’s list for a new coach and now he’s writing about it.

Man reading the boards after we hire a new coach is gonna be amazing.

Good luck everyone!

Everybody is going to have an opinion after the announcement and then get on board until the season starts with a hiccup here or there as he recruits to fill out the roster. Won’t be that interesting.

Everybody is going to have an opinion after the announcement and then get on board until the season starts with a hiccup here or there as he recruits to fill out the roster. Won’t be that interesting.

I’ll be interested because barring a big coup it’s gonna be someone in the mid major tier and people will lose their shit from the last few posts.

I don’t care about ability as an assistant coach since we’re hiring a head coach. Nothing against Kelsey but he is worse than 5-7 top candidates.

It's about EXPERIENCE and having contacts.

Miller doesn't have qualifications that are as good as Kelsey.

Did Pat kick your dog?

It's about EXPERIENCE and having contacts.

Miller doesn't have qualifications that are as good as Kelsey.

Did Pat kick your dog?

Like I said it’s nothing against Kelsey, simply comparing him to other candidates he’s not a top 5 guy.

What’s your list?

If you name 15-20 guys you realize what is actually out there.

Thad Matta
Steve Prohm
Gregg Marshall
Chris Beard
Ben Howland
Fran McCaffery
Mick Cronin
Shaka if he's fired
Nate Oats
Musselman
Earl Grant
TJ Otzelberger
Wes Miller
Russel Turner
Casey Alexander
Kelsey
Bruce Weber
Tubby Smith
Frank Martin
Fred Holberg
Gregg McDermott
LaVall Jordan
Luke Yaklich
Tommy Lloyd

These are all names I'd put out there before saying Kyle Smith.

I'd also add Ryan Odom, Forbes, and a bunch of other guys I don't think should get the job, but have still made the NCAA tourney.

Back