• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Has Blogersodear given up on new basketball coach?

Deacfan27. Thanks for all your hard work. I am sure that we all will not agree on the best candidate, but I do appreciate all the work you have put in. Let's just hope we get to debate and find a great replacement for DM.

I’ll be interested because barring a big coup it’s gonna be someone in the mid major tier and people will lose their shit from the last few posts.

Meh. People didn’t lose their shit about Manning. Worse case scenario is Miller. Most of you love him. The rest think we could do better.

It would also piss me off if I wrote informative articles for free and people were upset about the timing when I have life/work going on.

I think miller has the traits to be a really good coach and he could be really good for us, but his current resume doesn’t really impress me. I wouldn’t be mad if he was our next coach and I would support him. That’s my opinion.

Meh. People didn’t lose their shit about Manning. Worse case scenario is Miller. Most of you love him. The rest think we could do better.

I think people (myself included) hated Bz so much and thought he was so terrible that Manning was a tolerable hire.

I was definitely not excited, but was willing to give him a chance.

I suspect there are only a few names that would unite 90% of poster on the boards.

I also don’t think we’ll hire any of those names.

So yeah, it’s probably going to be a little rough around here.

The happiest day will be when Manning is fired.

In terms of Miller... Not my first choice, but I’d give him a chance.

Would be hugely disappointed if it felt like the search started with him.

For me, it’s Oats or Matta.

Ph... I don’t recall seeing any names from you. You have anyone you’d like to see? Don’t care if “realistic” or not... Just curious about where you’d like to see us focus the search.

I posted my criteria. Top 50 season or significantly outperforming their conference.

I have almost completely given up the prospect of a new coach for WF. If the 18 million figure is correct without a buy-out provision, I think we are stuck for years to come. Hope I am wrong.

Kelsey's results at Winthrop really haven't been all that great considering he took over a program that dominated the big south before he was head coach. Plus the UMass thing was extremely flaky.

This is just inaccurate. During the 4 years before Kelsey got there they had three losing seasons including a combined 25-37 in the two years before Kelsey. They hadn't had a 1st place finish in 5 years. After Kelsey arrived within 5 years they went back to back 1st place finishes.

You can look up their names if you want to. Most of them have been mentioned here from what I can tell.

I get that. It just seems like you’d rather criticize everyone else’s opinion without offering up your own.

I guess I can do the work to figure out the names that fit your criteria (it’s gonna be a very short list once I eliminate Coach K, Bill Self, and Mark Few), but I’d rather just hear your opinion from you.

I say Oats and Matta. Neither are without risk, but there is no doubt that they can both coach basketball. Will either of them end up as our next coach? Probably not.

Last edited:
I’ve been going through the KP data and historical conference standings and the list of strong mid-major candidates is short.

They all have flaws.

Long track records of mediocrity with outlier years of success.

Stains due to other issues (Chris Jans getting drunk and fired from Bowling Green).

It’s kind of depressing, actually. Anyone that strings together 2-3 years of success moves to a better job.

So you’re left taking a risk with one of those guys that has had 1-2 years of success with no real way to delineate if they are good coaches or if they lucked into talent right off the bat.

If we can’t get Matta or Oats, TJ Otzelberger would be my pick, I think.

I'm on the Brinks truck to Thad Matta's house.

After that, Oats.

Another mid/low major coach is John Becker at Vermont. Not so young, (50) but lots of winning. 192-126 over eight seasons there . 3 regular season and two conference tournament titles. Coach of the year 3x. No p6 experience is a flaw.

ETA:

He is 103-20 (.832) in conference since 2011. Worst finish is 3rd. 186-82 overall. Won at least 20 games every year. Currently 10-1 in conference play.

His record at Gallaudet in the late 90's was not good. That drags down his overall record. Maybe he learned something between 1998 and 2011. Worked as an assistant to Mike Lonergan at Vermont before Lonergan moved to GW.

Last edited:
We can really hire anyone we want so long as we are willing to give their spouses tenured professorships. It’s that easy !

Oats win at Toledo last night was impressive. Very tough crowd in Toledo, refs were giving Toledo a lot of questionable calls, Buffalo got way down and came back to win it on the road. Oats makes the most sense for the next hire. Throw some big money at him.

Back