• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Has Blogersodear given up on new basketball coach?

It’s difficult to look to the best teams in the ACC for how we should hire our next coach.

Coach K is Coach K
Boeheim has similarly been around forever
Roy came from KU
Bennett had 3 really good years at Wazzu
Mack was proven at Xavier
Buzz was proven at Marquette

Only Keatts has the profile of a mid-major who did exceptionally well at his last stop. Two things about that... He doesn’t belong on the list with those other 6 (yet) and there aren’t really any existing coaching prospects that have a resume that compares with what he did at UNCW (maybe Oats?).

I guess you can look at Larranaga and Brownell, but I don’t consider them hugely successful.

Becker was Laranaga's top assistant when Vermont was built. He's kept it going for nine years. So that isn't just on a guy or two.

ETA:

He deserves some consideration in the tier below HR hires. Maybe not the best guy there, but worth discussing.

Last edited:
Russell Turner belongs in the Red Flag tier. If that's the hire, we clearly aren't even trying anymore.

At least he makes a good faith effort at aggregating the info and breaking it down.

At least he makes a good faith effort at aggregating the info and breaking it down.

Sure, but then he comes onto the board and acts like a child when faced with any modicum of pushback to his blogging.

To be clear, the only thing I was trying to push back on was people who took umbrage of when and how I published the articles. It takes a lot of time to write on 20-25 candidates and I have a full time, regular job that I work during the week.

I don't really care if you push back on who I write on or what tier I put random dudes into, but I do like to hear who people like when they want to argue about it instead of "I have named my qualifications, you find the guys who fit into it".

I wasn't big on Turner initially, but what is the red flag about him? He's been tremendous at 2PT defense which is something that would seemingly translate pretty well.

Strick - if anything, based on your 5+ comments on this thread alone that are passive aggressive shots at me, I would say that you're the one with the bigger issue than I have. If you want to discuss something or have an issue with the way that I post then I will happily chat with you via DM to avoid cluttering up the thread with personal shit.

Last edited:
You could have waited until you were done then published them in a row instead of stopping at two and making it seem like you weren’t going to finish.

It’s a simple point. Nobody thinks this is your full time job. You set up the expectation that it was a series.

In fairness, the first two were probably really easy to write.

It’s once you have to start digging into all of these mediocre mid- and low- major coaches that it becomes a more difficult task.

There’s not much that separates the #16 potential hire from the #25 potential hire.

You could have waited until you were done then published them in a row instead of stopping at two and making it seem like you weren’t going to finish.

It’s a simple point. Nobody thinks this is your full time job. You set up the expectation that it was a series.

It is a series. That hasn't changed. You're just picking at things to pick at them, which is your shtick, I get it.

The articles are getting written and published/streamed into a series. That's always been the goal and what's going to happen.

at worst, i do appreciate the time doofus and the bsd gang put into reporting on wake sports.

i do think turner is a viable candidate in the worst case tier, where i’d also dump guys like miller, kelsey, anthony grant, etc. better than proven losers like [Redacted] or brian gregory

but we should have to strike out on a bunch of other guys before tipping into that.

It is a series. That hasn't changed. You're just picking at things to pick at them, which is your shtick, I get it.

The articles are getting written and published/streamed into a series. That's always been the goal and what's going to happen.

Who gets the girl at the end of the series?

I guess you can look at Larranaga and Brownell, but I don’t consider them hugely successful.

Odd you'd lump those two together.

Larranaga's accomplishments at Miami in 8 seasons:
2013 ACC regular season and tournament champions
Twice a top 3 seed in the NCAA Tournament (2013, 2016)
4 NCAA Tournament appearances
One losing season in conference play (looks like this will be his second)
One season where he didn't win 20 games

Granted not sure his staff always followed the rules, but I think he's been an unequivocal success

Odd you'd lump those two together.

Larranaga's accomplishments at Miami in 8 seasons:
2013 ACC regular season and tournament champions
Twice a top 3 seed in the NCAA Tournament (2013, 2016)
4 NCAA Tournament appearances
One losing season in conference play (looks like this will be his second)
One season where he didn't win 20 games

Granted not sure his staff always followed the rules, but I think he's been an unequivocal success

Yeah, he and Brownell have both been fine. Larranaga has had more success, to be sure.

I’d still place them both outside the top 6.

And I don’t think a hire of that ilk would excite anyone here.

Why are people complaining about what tier someone is in on the free website where the contributors are volunteers?

I think what you all mean to say is “Thank you for doing this work so I can have more information about possible candidates.”

This is a shitty post. Also Wes Miller belongs in the mid major tier and not a tier of his own.

Why are people complaining about what tier someone is in on the free website where the contributors are volunteers?

I think what you all mean to say is “Thank you for doing this work so I can have more information about possible candidates.”

I'm just not a fan of the growing drumbeat in favor of Miller based off of things like his ties to the school and that he'd surely 100% take the job if offered. This hire is too important to settle

Yeah, he and Brownell have both been fine. Larranaga has had more success, to be sure.

I’d still place them both outside the top 6.

And I don’t think a hire of that ilk would excite anyone here.

You do have some high-ass standards ATS, I will give you that.

Also Oats has topped what Keatts did at UNCW. I don't really see how that's arguable, unless you give Keatts a big benefit of the doubt for inheriting a program in a lower state than what Oats did

Wake needs to hire Rick Pitino and be done with it. Give him five years to get us back at the level where we belong, lead us to an ACC Championship and a couple of deep NCAA tourney runs, then he can retire and we can bring in a young coach to keep things going at the highest level for a long time.

At this point I don't give two shits about Pitino being tainted or a cheater. The NCAA obviously doesn't care (see UNC) so why should we?

I'm just not a fan of the growing drumbeat in favor of Miller based off of things like his ties to the school and that he'd surely 100% take the job if offered. This hire is too important to settle
I've got ties to the school and would take high 6 figures/low 7 figures for sure. Plus, I've been right about [Redacted] and Manning from the start. Sign me up.

Back