• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Atlanta Braves Season Thread: off season decisions loom

What about trading Donaldson? Would free up some $$$ for Kimbrel.

What about trading Donaldson? Would free up some $$$ for Kimbrel.

This doesn't make sense. JD is twice the hitter Inciarte is. The eye says that Riley is passable in LF, while Inciarte's defense has actually regressed. I don't think you trade JD, on a one year contract, so you can move somebody who is passable in LF (where you stick guys without a position) to his natural position, which, in turn, causes you to play a guy who is 35% worse than the league average hitter while also playing poor defense.

This doesn't make sense. JD is twice the hitter Inciarte is. The eye says that Riley is passable in LF, while Inciarte's defense has actually regressed. I don't think you trade JD, on a one year contract, so you can move somebody who is passable in LF (where you stick guys without a position) to his natural position, which, in turn, causes you to play a guy who is 35% worse than the league average hitter while also playing poor defense.

This. Inciarte relies on a defensive reputation that his advanced stats don’t support.

I think Riley is great and I think he has to play. That being said, 3 errors in 20 chances in LF doesn't pass the eye test. Maybe he improves with more time there, but right now he is not a good defensive outfielder. Inciarte is going to return, and as long as Riley is hitting, will find a place on the bench. However, definitely expect him to be a late inning defensive substitution.

I think Riley is great and I think he has to play. That being said, 3 errors in 20 chances in LF doesn't pass the eye test. Maybe he improves with more time there, but right now he is not a good defensive outfielder. Inciarte is going to return, and as long as Riley is hitting, will find a place on the bench. However, definitely expect him to be a late inning defensive substitution.

Interesting to note that Donaldson played some catcher earlier in his career. Given that McCann is hitting .167 against lefties maybe try the Donaldson @ catcher against lefties and then Riley @ 3B in those games. Heck even Donaldson is only .222 against lefties so no matter what you have Riley play 3B against lefties.

The issue is what to do against righties as agree he has a long way to go before he is a serviceable outfielder from a fielding perspective.

It is not easy to make a position player learn catcher, even if he has done it before. He has taken too much time off from catching to learn it mid-season. As compared to making a catcher/infielder learn the OF (although that transition is also difficult too).

Interesting to note that Donaldson played some catcher earlier in his career. Given that McCann is hitting .167 against lefties maybe try the Donaldson @ catcher against lefties and then Riley @ 3B in those games. Heck even Donaldson is only .222 against lefties so no matter what you have Riley play 3B against lefties.

The issue is what to do against righties as agree he has a long way to go before he is a serviceable outfielder from a fielding perspective.

Zero chance. Donaldson has had leg injuries just playing 3rd. Our emergency catcher isn’t even him. It’s Culberson.

Is Culberson Snit's backup too? That guy does everything.

Is there a better bench in the league? Culberson, Joyce and Camargo are all solid players.

I wish Camargo was playing a little more. He seems like he is struggling with his reduced role.

Also, MLB draft tonight. This is our last top 10 pick for hopefully the next 5 years so let's make that pool money count.

Interesting draft selections. 3 college bats. Definitely a different strategy in past years.

Weird - everything I read was that they were going to go heavy on arms.

Yeah, thought we were definitely going Espino with the 21st pick. But reading that Shewmake will sign for under slot value. Which is important as we are still being penalized from the previous regime.

Intially was frustrated with the Shewmake pick but softening up to it. His best baseball is ahead of him.

Need to sign Keuchel although it sounds like the Yankees are the favorite. Gausman and Teheran just aren't cutting it.

Teheran has actually been decent the last month. He has gone 1-1 with a 1.59 ERA his last seven starts. Folty (1-4, 6.10 last 7 starts) and Gausman (1-3, 7.50) have been abysmal.

Back