• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Atlanta Braves Season Thread: off season decisions loom

The decision on Ozuna’s comes down to if the DH is here to stay or not, I think. I also wish we’d go after Bauer but I just don’t see Liberty Media willing to dole out that kind of money.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2020/05/22/mlb-designated-hitter-national-league-2020-traditionalists-must-adapt/5235749002/

This article suggests DH will go away in 2021 but will return on permanent basis in 2022 w/ new CBA.

If accurate that means Ozuna would need to play OF for 1 year if re-signed. Easier to do w/ Acuna/Pache out there with him

This article is from May. As a traditionalist myself, I would say that the DH in the NL has been a huge success. My guess would be that it has a chance to stay. That and keeping the active roster at 27 or 28 would both be ideas the PA would welcome since it gets more players in the league.

Totally disagree with your analysis of the situation.
Baseball is not a game of luck, especially in the modern era. It is a game of percentages. That is why the best percentage for a big inning was for Swanson to not go on contact on a hard hit ball to third and why Riley should have immediately ran to third. Then, both would have had a better chance to later score from third with less than two outs.
If baseball was being played based on "luck" there would never be a left handed batter subbed to go against a right handed pitcher, etc. Also, in the modern era, you would never see the numerous infield shifts that are now employed by almost all teams.
The Braves blew a major scoring opportunity by not playing the percentages.

As a former roommate said regarding his regular success against me in pinball - "I guess I'm just consistently luckier than you are."

He’s probably a non-tender anyway, but I never want to have to watch Folty bat again.

Hopefully, MLB can give NL teams an idea of the plan for DH at the beginning of the offseason. There is some thought it will revert back to pitchers hitting again and owners withholding DH as a give in next round of CBA.

Congrats to Freddie. The man finally gets his award. Next up, an extension.

Did the Braves over-pay for Drew Smyly? My guess is that the answer will be yes or he will be looked at as a great bargain.

If he pitches 5 innings this year, he's a better deal than what we got from Hamels.

Not sure how much stock to put in it, because Smyly only had 5 starts, but he had an elite strikeout rate this past season 26 IP and 42 Ks. 14 per 9 innings. Also, to the extent the Dodgers have an Achilles Heal its facing lefties (which is another reason why the Rays decision to life Blake Snell made no sense).

Braves sign Charlie Morton to a one year $15 million deal. Good move; Morton still has some gas in the tank.

Man, I did not realize he was 37. Remember it very clearly when he was coming up through the Braves' system. Damn, we're all old.

Love the deal.

DeacsOrDie - no thanks on Springer. No thanks on trading for Castellanos. Yes to Ozuna on a reasonable deal if the DH is back or if we decide we can suffer his defense for a season before DH becomes official.

For some reason I thought Castellanos is a FA this year.

Hearing that NL DH may not happen so Ozuna loses stock.

What’s the problem with Springer? Other than the cheating in 2019.

For one, it will more money than the braves will be spending. Two - he's going to get a 5 year deal or so, and will probably experience a decline in year three or four because he is already 31. Third, there are a lot of teams with money burning a hole in their pocket and a need that he fills.

Also, I have not seen a single thing about us being a potential suitor for him, so I would be surprised.

Thumbs down on the Duvall decision.

I've been trying to decide if it means :(a) Waters is thought to be ready to contribute: (b) A third baseman is on the way and Riley headed to LF; or (c) Some of the disappointing or unproven pitching prospects are about to be traded for an outfielder. How Manfred can keep the question of the universal DH open this long is a mystery to me.

I've been trying to decide if it means :(a) Waters is thought to be ready to contribute: (b) A third baseman is on the way and Riley headed to LF; or (c) Some of the disappointing or unproven pitching prospects are about to be traded for an outfielder. How Manfred can keep the question of the universal DH open this long is a mystery to me.

They could bring him back. Possible he gets less on the open market than in arbitration.

Back