• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Atlanta Braves Season Thread: off season decisions loom

But but but Snitker isn’t a good manager with 3 NL East titles in how many years as manager

You're right; he inherited a great roster. He has the lineup right now. He needs to lean heavily on the pen in the playoffs.

I certainly question some of his decisions in-game but there are aspects of a manager that he seems to understand. Winning culture, keeping players happy, meshing free agents with farm prospects, etc.

He can be a top tier clubhouse manager (he is), while also still being a middle-bottom tier in-game manager. He's managed the bullpen pretty well this year though, other than a few ugly gaffes (when Culberson had to pitch in a 1 run game).

It's those in-game decisions that are crucial in a short series. That could be read as a criticism of Bobby Cox but isn't intended as such. One bad pitch to Leyritz and Lonnie Smith screwing up can't be blamed on him. I really can't recall any egregious decision by Cox in the playoffs that came back to haunt the Braves, but I am willing to be reminded.

He can be a top tier clubhouse manager (he is), while also still being a middle-bottom tier in-game manager. He's managed the bullpen pretty well this year though, other than a few ugly gaffes (when Culberson had to pitch in a 1 run game).

I think the new rules (min batters faced & DH) have limited his in-game options and thus made him a better manager. Having a much better bullpen this year has helped as well.

I’m sure it isn’t supported by science but I’m of the opinion that there are always three great managers, three terrible managers and 24 mediocre ones. Snit is in the 24 and the team will succeed or fail independently of him.

If they haven't already, someone should develop a WAR system for managers.

Another incredible finish last night to clinch the 2 seed on a walk off by Freeman. This team is insane. They were down to their last strike on an 0-2 count and won anyway.

Another incredible finish last night to clinch the 2 seed on a walk off by Freeman. This team is insane. They were down to their last strike on an 0-2 count and won anyway.

I quit following it after the 8th thinking a 2 run lead was safe with our bullpen. Sounds like I missed a lot.

I quit following it after the 8th thinking a 2 run lead was safe with our bullpen. Sounds like I missed a lot.

Amazing resilience. Blow the 2 run lead, rallied twice after Sox scored 2 in the 10th and another to start the 11th. Neat FF highlight video to lead out of the commercial break and he walked it off opposite field. Sweet!

Last edited:
I guess we are hoping that the Brewers and Reds win tonight?

I guess we are hoping that the Brewers and Reds win tonight?

I’d just like to avoid the reds, who are 10-3 in their last 13 and have scary SPs. If STL wins today we’ll play the reds, so biggest game today is probably cheering for the brewers.

Sandoval playing 3rd and hitting cleanup. I wish we had another week before the playoffs to see how that experiment might work.

Great, we face Bauer, Castillo, and Gray.

Don’t worry. We counter those 3 with Fried coming off a couple of minor injuries, and two completely unproven young guys. What could possibly go wrong?

Why do I feel like sports is just a constant kick in the nuts?

Positive stat my friend sent me today: Reds record in Bauer, Gray, and Castillo's 33 starts was only 17-16. 14-13 in the 27 other starts.

Positive stat my friend sent me today: Reds record in Bauer, Gray, and Castillo's 33 starts was only 17-16. 14-13 in the 27 other starts.

Hey guys, just stopping by to comment on this post. I’m wouldn’t put too much stock in the Reds total record as as a reflection of their playoff competitiveness for 2 reasons: BABIP and bullpen. The Reds average on balls in play this season, which is mostly a luck factor, has been historically bad. Secondly, our bullpen was a train wreck to begin the season (Bauer was winless into late August with an ERA<2) but since has rounded into great form to end the year, with Michael Lorenzen, Lucas Sims, Amir Garrett, Tejay Antone, and Raisel Iglesias all capable of throwing multiple quality innings.

“Prior to August 13th, the Cincinnati Reds bullpen had a collective 6.23 team ERA. They were 14th out of 15 teams in the National League. However, since August 13th, it’s been a different story. The Reds have a 3.30 team ERA since then, good for first in the NL.”

https://www.redlegnation.com/2020/09/08/the-cincinnati-reds-bullpen-has-become-a-strength/

Forgot to include Archie Bradley in our bullpen, who is throwing at an All Star level.

I really think the deciding factor in this series is going to be the ability of Atlanta’s pitching to prevent home runs and walks. If you limit Cincinnati to a few solo home runs then you should win, but if we score more than 3-4 runs then we have the big advantage

Back