• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Atlanta Braves Season Thread: off season decisions loom

Hey guys, just stopping by to comment on this post. I’m wouldn’t put too much stock in the Reds total record as as a reflection of their playoff competitiveness for 2 reasons: BABIP and bullpen. The Reds average on balls in play this season, which is mostly a luck factor, has been historically bad. Secondly, our bullpen was a train wreck to begin the season (Bauer was winless into late August with an ERA<2) but since has rounded into great form to end the year, with Michael Lorenzen, Lucas Sims, Amir Garrett, Tejay Antone, and Raisel Iglesias all capable of throwing multiple quality innings.

“Prior to August 13th, the Cincinnati Reds bullpen had a collective 6.23 team ERA. They were 14th out of 15 teams in the National League. However, since August 13th, it’s been a different story. The Reds have a 3.30 team ERA since then, good for first in the NL.”

https://www.redlegnation.com/2020/09/08/the-cincinnati-reds-bullpen-has-become-a-strength/

In typical Braves fashion, Lucas Sims will strike out the player the Braves traded him for, Adam Duvall, to end the series.

2020 Atlanta Braves Season Thread: Soroka hurt

In typical Braves fashion, Lucas Sims will strike out the player the Braves traded him for, Adam Duvall, to end the series.

I’m really happy with the way that trade worked out - both Sims and Duvall are good players who needed a change of scenery. Reds fans loved Duvall. It’s good to see him having success in Atlanta, just hope he goes cold for a few days.

I’m actually pretty excited to play the Reds the more that I think on it. There’s nobody on the Reds that I actively dislike (Bauer is the fun kind of annoying), and Amir Garrett once tried to fight the entire Pirates team over some unwritten rules bullshit, so that’s cool. Plus the Reds are also a team lacking in recent playoff success, which makes things more fun IMO.

Might as well play the best team possible in the first round. If my heart is gonna get ripped out by sports yet again at least it will be quick.

Game 2 is scheduled for 12:08 PM tomorrow and Game 3 for 3:08 PM on Friday. Makes a lot of sense, it's not like Braves or Reds fans have jobs or anything.

Glad the 5 seed Yankees get the primetime slot for all of their games though, seems fair

Game 2 is scheduled for 12:08 PM tomorrow and Game 3 for 3:08 PM on Friday. Makes a lot of sense, it's not like Braves or Reds fans have jobs or anything.

Glad the 5 seed Yankees get the primetime slot for all of their games though, seems fair

If there's a rain delay in any of the games, we'll get a replay of a Yankees - Red Sox mid-season game from sometime in the past.

Some interesting roster decisions:

No Ender, no Hech, no Luke Jackson.

Pache, Contreras, Sandoval, Camargo, and Culberson all make the bench. 6 man bench is pretty deep considering we have a DH (less PH opportunities) and really only Pache will be used as a defensive replacment. Third catcher means we can pinch run for d'Arnaud if needed, but the guy to do that is still Pache. I don't see how Sandoval, Culberson, or Camargo ever get any AB's barring injuries.

I actually think it would have made more sense to carry Ender as a pinch runner only than Culberson as a 5th OF (6 if you count Ozuna). They have Culberson listed as an IF but I don't even remember the last time he played there. Sandoval or Camargo would play third if Riley is hurt, Camargo at SS if Dansby is hurt.

Pache making it and Ender not is as surprising as it is awesome.

Seems like the reports of Bauer's 2020 success being attributable to the poor level of competition are not on point.

Bauer is 29 years old, and some big market team is going to write him a blank check this off-season.

Bauer is 29 years old, and some big market team is going to write him a blank check this off-season.

yep. not sure he could've had a better contract year than this. wish the braves would splurge but i doubt they will.

Bottom 9 with your 2-3-4 hitters up and a tie game. Tough to ask for much more than that in the playoffs. Gotta get it done.

Get the feeling this game could go 20 innings and Braves might not score a run.

Bauer is an exceptionally odd dude. He has already said that he just wants to sign one year contracts for the rest of his career and be a free agent each season. So, he may break the record for a year salary in 2021, but the current claim that he is only signing a one year contract makes him available to almost every team in baseball as only a couple of teams are willing to sign long term deals for pitchers, but any team that thinks it has a chance next year may be willing to dig deep for a one year deal.

Bauer is an exceptionally odd dude. He has already said that he just wants to sign one year contracts for the rest of his career and be a free agent each season. So, he may break the record for a year salary in 2021, but the current claim that he is only signing a one year contract makes him available to almost every team in baseball as only a couple of teams are willing to sign long term deals for pitchers, but any team that thinks it has a chance next year may be willing to dig deep for a one year deal.

If the Reds can’t re-sign him, it would be fun to see if the Angels can get him. Mike Trout deserves some pitching help

Back