• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Atlanta Braves Season Thread: off season decisions loom

I’ve been done with Folty for 3 years, even after his good year last year. He is not in our future. Unless he agrees to be a closer which he doesn’t have the mentality for that.

Bullpen has made me nervous, but gotten the job done last couple nights. Let's win another one today - would be our 6th series win in a row, I think.

I work with two asshole Phillies fans. This has been a great month.

An awesome month. After starting 30-27 or a 53% W % through 5/31 the Bravos are 18-6 or a 75% W% in June against some great teams. A # of players are stepping up big and getting hot like Donaldson, McCann, Markakis along with Riley injecting some excitement and to have unproven and unknown Soroka and Fried to become aces to go along with an improving Teheran and now adding Keuchel to the mix and hoping they run away with it and can give the Dodgers a run for the money. Still think Dodgers pitching is too good to overcome along with Braves schizo bullpen, but think it could be an exciting postseason for the first time in a while.

Good start today, up 4-1 in the top of third after Freddie golfed one out opposite field.

Pretty surprised Ozzie didn't make the All Star game. 2nd in voting, but I guess only the leading vote getter was guaranteed a spot.

It's a little weird just because the NL doesn't actually have a full time 2b but whatever.

Yeah, I wouldn't really call any of them snubs, but it's pretty odd that Ozzie, BMac, and Donaldson all finished 2nd in the voting, yet none of them made it. Hell, even Markakis finished 5th out of OF, and they took 6.

Minter needs to go. He got no game. He's painful to even watch. He's toxic. Everytime he comes in to pitch it's pins and needles as he can't throw strikes and when he does they get hammered.

Trade proposal:

Offer Gausman, Folty, Wright, and Ender for Stroman. Then offer to pay some of Folty and Gausman contract. Done.

That's not a good trade. I lean toward improving bullpen and hope Gausman can get back on his game. Two good rehab starts in a row and likely to replace Wilson. Ender should come up and replace Riley (so he can continue to play everyday), not get sent out. I'd be fine bringing up Duvall too to platoon with Ender/Markakis and use Culberson's versatility as needed.

That's not a good trade. I lean toward improving bullpen and hope Gausman can get back on his game. Two good rehab starts in a row and likely to replace Wilson. Ender should come up and replace Riley (so he can continue to play everyday), not get sent out. I'd be fine bringing up Duvall too to platoon with Ender/Markakis and use Culberson's versatility as needed.

Being that Braves scouts have been all over Stroman, we appear to not be going the bullpen route (based on current rumors, obviously things change).

So with that in mind, do you really see Gausman winning a playoff start?

Why would we take Riley out of the line up? His average has dropped but the power is real and based on defensive advance stats, is playing a good to almost great outfield. Would be stupid to consiistently take his bat out of the line up.

Why shake up the line up and juju when we are on a roll. Your idea would do exactly that.

Giants are going to trade MadBum and Will Smith. Would like one or both, but would probably have to give up at least 1 elite prospect (likely OF prospect). If you trust Fried to be able to pitch against LA in the postseason, then MadBum isn't near as high of a priority, but I'm not sure I'm there yet. Sounds like the Brewers are pretty dialed in on Smith, but he'd be a great pickup this year, and is a Georgia dude.

Riley has been lost at the plate for a month plus and the regression should have been expected based on some of the underlying numbers.

Just not sure Stroman is a big enough upgrade for the acquisition cost vs Soroka/Keuchel/Gausman/Fried and a hopefully fixed Folty but I am not counting on that last part. I think my preference is anyone we grab to be on expiring deals instead of guys who are controlled in to next season.

Riley has been lost at the plate for a month plus and the regression should have been expected based on some of the underlying numbers.

Just not sure Stroman is a big enough upgrade for the acquisition cost vs Soroka/Keuchel/Gausman/Fried and a hopefully fixed Folty but I am not counting on that last part. I think my preference is anyone we grab to be on expiring deals instead of guys who are controlled in to next season.

Unfortunately Folty isn't exactly lighting the world on fire with Gwinett as gave up 4 runs and 9 hits over 5 innings last game after giving up 2 runs and 8 hits over 5 innings. Seems like he has some work to do to figure things out.

You also left off Teheran who has been very strong since May outside 2 bad starts in June since he struggled to start the season in April. I think your 3rd playoff starter comes down to a veteran Teheran or a young Fried depending on how confident you feel Fried is come playoff time. It does leave you with very strong mid relief options as the one you don't start can pair with Gausman and Newcomb as guys to carry you into late innings.

Still feel like biggest needs is a proven closer as who knows how Luke will go as his last start was the last clean one I can remember in quite a while.

Unfortunately Folty isn't exactly lighting the world on fire with Gwinett as gave up 4 runs and 9 hits over 5 innings last game after giving up 2 runs and 8 hits over 5 innings. Seems like he has some work to do to figure things out.

You also left off Teheran who has been very strong since May outside 2 bad starts in June since he struggled to start the season in April. I think your 3rd playoff starter comes down to a veteran Teheran or a young Fried depending on how confident you feel Fried is come playoff time. It does leave you with very strong mid relief options as the one you don't start can pair with Gausman and Newcomb as guys to carry you into late innings.

Still feel like biggest needs is a proven closer as who knows how Luke will go as his last start was the last clean one I can remember in quite a while.

Hard to disagree here. But outside of Soroka and Dallas, its hard for me to feel confident in any of our starters in a playoff game. Soroka, Dallas, and Stroman is a different story. Got to be able to get the ball to a proven closer with a lead first.

Giants are going to trade MadBum and Will Smith. Would like one or both, but would probably have to give up at least 1 elite prospect (likely OF prospect). If you trust Fried to be able to pitch against LA in the postseason, then MadBum isn't near as high of a priority, but I'm not sure I'm there yet. Sounds like the Brewers are pretty dialed in on Smith, but he'd be a great pickup this year, and is a Georgia dude.

The Giants have been super-hot all of sudden and are about to complete a 4 game sweep of the Rockies in Colorado. Hard to believe, but the Giants are only 3 games out of the 2nd wild-card spot. They may still trade MadBum and Smith, but they also may decide to let the season play out.

I think they should try Newk at closer. It can't be much worse than Jackson and at least Newk can gas it nearly 100.

Back