• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Atlanta Braves Season Thread: off season decisions loom

Agreed on feeling doomed. Honestly, I am not sure how BOTH Jackson and Melancon made the post season roster. While Greene has come around and in to form, Melancon never has. Jackson has been bad as well. I just don't know why Fried, being a starter for most of the year didn't get a chance to pitch the 8th, he only threw 14 pitches. Using Greene in the 6th was a huge blunder.

I think if I had been making the call, I would have used Fried in the 6th and 7th perhaps the 8th as well and then let Greene close it out. Let's say Fried throws 40 pitches or so, that's basically a side session in between starts. I mean, you got 5 quality starters and you're only gonna use three in a 5 game series. You got Fried and Teheran just sitting there. Use them. You have to give up on Melancon at some point, the guy just isn't getting the job done for the Braves. Snitker is a good manager but a bad strategist and probably too much of a players coach.

Completely agree about Snit. Also would point out Teheran wasn't just sitting there as he was left off the roster although he is apparently rejoining the team in place of C. Martin.

Acuna can be the best player in baseball but this not running out plays is inexcusable and has to stop it could have very well cost us the game yesterday.

Watching that ball head out (and not watching Acuna) from the stands, I was flabbergasted when I saw it bounce off the wall and then saw that Acuna was only about 3 steps around 1st. I lost it in the stands, but no one else around me seemed to think anything was wrong. I feel vindicated in my anger after seeing it and the comments from Freddie and others this morning. That and the bang/bang play at first were the difference in the game. I'm not going to get into our bullpen or how Snit used them, other than to say Fried should have been out for the 8th.

Fried needs to close. Use Julio as the inning eater or Game 4 guy.

My fault. I never even checked roster. I just assumed that Teheran would be on the roster if Melancon and Jackson were on it.

My biggest issue is Melancon up there throwing meatballs up 0-2 on two different hitters. Throw a high heater or in the dirt. Inexcusable for him to give up two doubles on 0-2 counts. Mindboggling.

My biggest issue is Melancon up there throwing meatballs up 0-2 on two different hitters. Throw a high heater or in the dirt. Inexcusable for him to give up two doubles on 0-2 counts. Mindboggling.

Sometimes players have a hard time adjusting to new teams. Greene and Melancon both had issues when they first arrived in Atlanta. In time, Greene was able to work through those issues but Melancon hasn't. He got to a point where he was serviceable but never elite. I think he is overthrowing because he wants to be perfect and that is causing his ball to rise rather than sink. He throws a lot of balls and all his balls that get hit are up in the zone....especially 0-2 pitches. While I think they should ditch Melancon for the rest of the playoffs, remember that 2 of the balls that got hit off him were right over the third and first base bags and the one over first base I would I wasn't so sure about. But the Braves are a great team, take this loss in stride and hopefully Snit won't make the same mistakes again tonight. Even the series and go kick ass in St. Louis.

The good news is that, today, the Braves face Jack Flaherty, who in his 15 starts since the All Star Break, has given up 0 or 1 run 12 times, and has not given up more than 3 runs in any start.

His 2nd half numbers: 7-2W-L 0.91ERA 99IP 48H 23BB 124Ks 0.715 WHIP .142BA .424OPS.

He has not given up a run in his last 19 innings.

The good news is that, today, the Braves face Jack Flaherty, who in his 15 starts since the All Star Break, has given up 0 or 1 run 12 times, and has not given up more than 3 runs in any start.

His 2nd half numbers: 7-2W-L 0.91ERA 99IP 48H 23BB 124Ks 0.715 WHIP .142BA .424OPS.

He has not given up a run in his last 19 innings.

Time to change that up.

2 things. I was clamoring for us to use Fried for multiple innings out of the pen before the season ended. He should have gone back out last night. Acuña not running out of the box is a blunder and him getting thrown out at second in the first sucks, but him getting doubled up isn’t on him. There are bigger problems that occurred last night that aren’t getting addressed. Why leave melacon in? Anybody ask about nick not getting that ball in quickly where Fowler went 1st to third? How about nick not swinging the bat in the final AB?

That inning. We’re headed to Stl down 0-2

What a fiasco. Smells of desperation. If going to go small ball have Swanson try to bunt again with only 1 strike. I think Snit thought billy Hamilton was on 3rd not markakis. Heck Folty could have walked or got a fluke hit but that was just throwing away a great opportunity.

I went to a Braves game a few years ago.
Went to one of their World Series games too. They did not win.

Using Melancon is like driving drunk. Just because it might work out, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Back