• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Atlanta Braves Season Thread: off season decisions loom

I think Camargo got called up because Ron Washington about shit a brick at the idea of that slow fat guy playing 3rd in sub situations. Culberson and Camargo have their flaws, but you can plug them in about anywhere on defense. They can also go 1st to 3rd on a shot to the outfield. No way Sandoval is taking the extra base.

I think Camargo got called up because Ron Washington about shit a brick at the idea of that slow fat guy playing 3rd in sub situations. Culberson and Camargo have their flaws, but you can plug them in about anywhere on defense. They can also go 1st to 3rd on a shot to the outfield. No way Sandoval is taking the extra base.

Sure, but if you call Ender up that sub situation never happens because Riley doesn't move to the OF, with an OF of Culberson-Ender-Acuna. Would be pretty simple to give the PH bat to Pablo for Pache/Markakis and then sub Ender in for Pablo. Ender still gets 0 ABs, but gives more OF flexibility. With Camargo up, if a PH for both Pache and Markakis happens Riley has to move to the OF again.

Sure, but if you call Ender up that sub situation never happens because Riley doesn't move to the OF, with an OF of Culberson-Ender-Acuna. Would be pretty simple to give the PH bat to Pablo for Pache/Markakis and then sub Ender in for Pablo. Ender still gets 0 ABs, but gives more OF flexibility. With Camargo up, if a PH for both Pache and Markakis happens Riley has to move to the OF again.

That's true. Maybe they are thinking that it could potentially be an extra inning game and if they had to play 13 innings they would feel better with an outfield of Riley-Acuna-Culberson with Camargo at 3rd. At least then you have the POTENTIAL to end it with one swing vs Ender with an exit velocity that wouldn't get a ticket in a school zone.

That's true. Maybe they are thinking that it could potentially be an extra inning game and if they had to play 13 innings they would feel better with an outfield of Riley-Acuna-Culberson with Camargo at 3rd. At least then you have the POTENTIAL to end it with one swing vs Ender with an exit velocity that wouldn't get a ticket in a school zone.

Yeah they clearly didn't call up Ender because they don't even want him touching a bat, but the cost is additional defensive flexibility when making subs. I'd prefer it if we just accepted Pache may strike out a lot and just left him in there, but Snit is not going to do that.

This is an offseason conversation, but I'm curious what will be done with Ender this offseason. He is owed $8 million next season, with a club option for 2022 (almost certainly would be declined). He's a negative asset even on that contract, so a trade is more or less out of the question. They may just straight up cut him, but I'd expect they give him all the chances possible to prove to be a useful bench level bat in spring training.

Yeah they clearly didn't call up Ender because they don't even want him touching a bat, but the cost is additional defensive flexibility when making subs. I'd prefer it if we just accepted Pache may strike out a lot and just left him in there, but Snit is not going to do that.

I agree on Pache. He seems to be as good as Ender used to be, but with a better arm. Let the kid play.

This is an offseason conversation, but I'm curious what will be done with Ender this offseason. He is owed $8 million next season, with a club option for 2022 (almost certainly would be declined). He's a negative asset even on that contract, so a trade is more or less out of the question. They may just straight up cut him, but I'd expect they give him all the chances possible to prove to be a useful bench level bat in spring training.

I would bet a lot of it has to do with the DH. That outfield is real crowded if you sign Ozuna. Does Markakis retire or accept a bench role?

My neighbor made the comment this morning:

Well, Panda sure as shit didn’t spend his quarantine doing CrossFit.

No chance Ender sees spring training & no chance Markakis should be a bench bat.

No chance Ender sees spring training.

We owe him $8 million either way. I'm not saying he's going to make the team, but you at the very least give him spring training to see if he can rebound in any way whatsoever. Even if it's just so that you can trade him + $4 million to a team that needs an OF in order to get a nothing prospect and save $4 million.

Lineup today below. DOB reporting if Kershaw started it would have been Camargo and Riley at 3rd and LF vs Ozuna in LF with a catcher DHing.

Acuna RF
Freeman 1B
Ozuna DH
d'Arnaud C
Albies 2B
Swanson SS
Riley 3B
Neck LF
Pache CF

Would be really surprised if Ender is not on roster as a bench option on Opening Day. When they are convinced Pache is the guy they can cut him. They need to get a LHH cOF like Pederson to platoon with Duvall.

Well we have no idea what he has done this year but he needs more seasoning and challenged to the point he learns to draw a walk. Pederson won't get more than 2 years in this upcoming offseason IMO.

We owe him $8 million either way. I'm not saying he's going to make the team, but you at the very least give him spring training to see if he can rebound in any way whatsoever. Even if it's just so that you can trade him + $4 million to a team that needs an OF in order to get a nothing prospect and save $4 million.

If this year was an outlier, sure, you see if there is rebound potential. But his last 315 ABs (start of 2019-2020) should be enough of an indication that he's washed. He's never been a league average bat (career high of 99 wRC+, career 92) so he relied heavily on his defense which has been declining since he got to Atlanta. And when you're a team with championship expectations, you don't give guys who have struggled for the past two seasons (if not more) a chance to rebound. Gotta cut the dead weight, and I would be shocked if somebody even gives us a bag of peanuts for him.

Last edited:
Back