• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Atlanta Braves Season Thread: off season decisions loom

Only a casual Barves fan these days, but let me tell you, I am super stoked about their payroll flexibility this year. AND the real estate development around the ball park.

We won’t sign anyone who can help the team win, but we COULD, and that is what really matters to fans.

That's right, we need to pad the rainy day fund. We have gotten good value from our moves in terms of projected wins/$ but did we really do enough given we are firmly in a year we should contend? I still can't believe we couldn't find a better RF upgrade. AA said signing Muk cheap would allow for another move but I guess that will have to wait until the deadline.

Choosing to pay down private debt with increased revenue generated by a publicly funded ballpark is bullshit. The one thing I really don't understand is there is apparently some kind of MLB rule that a team's total debt cannot exceed some factor of their annual revenue.

I mean, we COULD sign a starting pitcher to help reduce the load and pressure on the young arms, but then how is Liberty Media gonna pay down debt on the new office building across the street from the stadium?

Being owned by Time Warner then Liberty Media back-to-back has just been absolutely so freaking shitty.

I kind of think AA is a value junkie too and I wouldn't mind slight overpays that don't really jeopardize the contending window.

No one wants them making stupid, crippling deals, but it seems like we've gotten to the point where the team won't sign a contract that carries any risk whatsoever. I don't think you can win a World Series that way. They were clearly outclassed in the playoffs and needed to upgrade. Make a move or 2 to get better. Now is the time, especially with so much of the league sitting back. I just think we've gotten numb to the fact that payroll will be about where it's been since the early 2000s ($90-110m) and that'll be the case regardless of whatever the franchise's revenues may be or how much public subsidies they've received.

Just so folks understand, the Braves could have signed that deal with Bryce Harper yesterday and still had a 2019 payroll lower than the Rockies and Mariners.

To be fair, I think we have to wait to really evaluate the offseason til post trade deadline. If we trade for the guy that puts us over the top before the deadline, this this is all a success. I'm cool being cheaper this offseason and then evaluating what we really need and targeting it before the deadline. That said.... Not entirely sure that is what I hope will happen but it is my optimistic take on it.

MLB network on Sirius yesterday was reviewing the NL East and said because of the offseason and the lack of money the Braves want to spend, the Braves have gone from being a prohibitive fav for 2019 to a probable 3rd place. GM Anthopoulos was thoroughly hamstrung in the off season by the cheap front office. They now put the high spending Phillies 1st as long as Gabe Kapler can get out of his own way and the Nationals in 2nd, mainly due to the strength of their pitching.

What the fuck is going on down there? Half the team has been scratched, exited early, or not even started throwing due to injury.

MLB network on Sirius yesterday was reviewing the NL East and said because of the offseason and the lack of money the Braves want to spend, the Braves have gone from being a prohibitive fav for 2019 to a probable 3rd place. GM Anthopoulos was thoroughly hamstrung in the off season by the cheap front office. They now put the high spending Phillies 1st as long as Gabe Kapler can get out of his own way and the Nationals in 2nd, mainly due to the strength of their pitching.

Yeah I mean with what the Phillies, gNats, and even the Mets have done this offseason and the fact that we signed a potentially over the hill former MVP, did we expect to win the division?

I am just hoping to see the young players to continue to develop and we don't make any stupid decisions this season to affect 2020.

Pretty upset with our offseason.

I have nothing against Donaldson, but that move never made sense to me. I thought Camargo was growing into a pretty darn good 3rd baseman. The Riley kid would have made a good backup and Camargo could play middle infield in case of injury to Albies or Chicken Broth (Wife's nickname for Swanson).

I really hope they go after some high quality pitching. I don't care if it is closer or starter, but they need some help.

I have nothing against Donaldson, but that move never made sense to me. I thought Camargo was growing into a pretty darn good 3rd baseman. The Riley kid would have made a good backup and Camargo could play middle infield in case of injury to Albies or Chicken Broth (Wife's nickname for Swanson).

I really hope they go after some high quality pitching. I don't care if it is closer or starter, but they need some help.

People that don’t like the Donaldson move baffle me. Dude has second highest WAR behind Trout over the last 5 years. I love Camargo but you always try for an upgrade if you can. Riley has proven nothing. Dude doesn’t have an MLB AB.

People that don’t like the Donaldson move baffle me. Dude has second highest WAR behind Trout over the last 5 years. I love Camargo but you always try for an upgrade if you can. Riley has proven nothing. Dude doesn’t have an MLB AB.

I like Donaldson. I just think we tried to fix something that wasn't broken. If the Braves have millions sitting in the bank, then why not get some pitchers that won't walk the leadoff man every inning.

Teheran, Wilson, Wright are the opening series starters. I like it.

Gausman making me nervous this spring. Seemingly not healthy at all.

Gausman with a good/decent first outing yesterday right? Looks like 3.1 innings, no ER, 5k's. Hopefully that's the start of him getting back on track. Thought he was great last year and is much needed this year. Hopefully he only misses a few starts max. Certainly a lot more nervous about the pitching than I was initially in spring training. Thought several of the guys would have been back by now....

Going to try to actually watch games this year. Will be nice to have something to throw on tv in the afternoons on the west coast. T-Mobile MLB.tv deal goes live in a few days.

Okay Duvall isnt making pennies and has looked awful. Do we have a platoon plan against LHP? Why couldn’t we get Camargo more time in the corner?

Back