• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Atlanta Braves Season Thread: off season decisions loom

Magic number to clinch a playoff spot as of today is 16. That would put them at 97 wins. No team in the history of the MLB has missed the playoffs with more than 96 wins.

Magic number to clinch the division sits higher at 23. It’s probably not going to take that many but the way Washington has been playing it could easily take 100+ wins.

Washington would have to go 26-4 to get to 100 wins.

Didn’t look hard at their record before posting that. Like I said 97 and we’re golden.

Plus Washington has seem to be playing a easy strength of schedule for what's been weeks now but it actually gets tougher for them towards the end of the year.

Magic number to clinch a playoff spot as of today is 16. That would put them at 97 wins. No team in the history of the MLB has missed the playoffs with more than 96 wins.

Magic number to clinch the division sits higher at 23. It’s probably not going to take that many but the way Washington has been playing it could easily take 100+ wins.

The 1993 Giants went 103-59 and missed the playoffs, but in those days, only the 4 division winners made the playoffs. In the Wild Card era (after 1993), the best record to miss the playoffs was the 1996 Reds (96-67). After that, three 93-win teams missed the playoffs (2005 Indians, 2003 Mariners, 2002 Red Sox). Braves will make the playoffs, and will win the division unless the Nats go at least 5-2, and probably need to go 6-1 in their remaining 7 head to head games. Not likely.

FWIW, Fangraphs currently projects the following win totals for NL teams:

Dodgers: 104
Braves: 96
Nats: 91
Cards: 88
Cubs: 88
Mets: 84
Phillies 83
Brewers: 83

If the season played out that way, Cards and Cubs would have a one game playoff to determine the division winner and the 2nd WC. The playoff bracket would be:

WC: Cards v. Cubs loser @ Washington
NLDS: WC Winner v. Dodgers and Cards v. Cubs winner v. Braves.

Pretty compelling.

The 1993 Giants went 103-59 and missed the playoffs, but in those days, only the 4 division winners made the playoffs. In the Wild Card era (after 1993), the best record to miss the playoffs was the 1996 Reds (96-67). After that, three 93-win teams missed the playoffs (2005 Indians, 2003 Mariners, 2002 Red Sox). Braves will make the playoffs, and will win the division unless the Nats go at least 5-2, and probably need to go 6-1 in their remaining 7 head to head games. Not likely.

FWIW, Fangraphs currently projects the following win totals for NL teams:

Dodgers: 104
Braves: 96
Nats: 91
Cards: 88
Cubs: 88
Mets: 84
Phillies 83
Brewers: 83

If the season played out that way, Cards and Cubs would have a one game playoff to determine the division winner and the 2nd WC. The playoff bracket would be:

WC: Cards v. Cubs loser @ Washington
NLDS: WC Winner v. Dodgers and Cards v. Cubs winner v. Braves.

Pretty compelling.

Best month of the year for baseball, almost every single game with HUGE implications. The older I get though, the more the games in June and July mean to me as I've seen how important one or two games is once you get into September. Same reason I'm live and die with October NHL games, it always comes down to one game.

Braves pick up another one on the Nats and there are six and a half off. Actually closer to the Dodgers.

Braves have won 14 out of 16. Had a great chance to pick up another game last night but the Mets blew a six-run ninth inning lalead against the Nats. Four game series coming up against the nats. A split would pretty much end the division race for the most part

This. A sweep would put the Nats 10 back.

A sweep would put them at 11 back after the nationals lost tonight. That Mets W last night would’ve been huge. An 8 game lead going into a 4 game set? If we sweep, a 12 game lead essentially seals it up. If we get swept, a 4 game lead is somewhat comfortable, especially with each teams remaining schedule.

A sweep would put them at 11 back after the nationals lost tonight. That Mets W last night would’ve been huge. An 8 game lead going into a 4 game set? If we sweep, a 12 game lead essentially seals it up. If we get swept, a 4 game lead is somewhat comfortable, especially with each teams remaining schedule.

I’ll take a split and be perfectly happy.

There's a chance we sweep, take 3 of four, split, only win 1 game of four, or get swept. We just don't know.

Excellent outing for Fried tonight. Magic number 15!

Fried is figuring it out. Him throwing the slider has him pitching on another level.

Really only having to have 3 of 7, beating their ace in game one is a pretty big win.

Fried is figuring it out. Him throwing the slider has him pitching on another level.

Yeah, his slider has gotten nasty, and is the perfect set up pitch for his massive curve at ~10 mph slower. Probably looks almost the exact same to the batter. He easily could have gone 8, but I didn't mind sitting him since he's made so many starts this year. I assume Folty is the odd man out of the rotation come playoff time, even though he's pitched well of late.

Back