• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Atlanta Braves Season Thread: off season decisions loom

Donaldson numbers this year look a lot like his numbers last year (.246/.352/.449/.801). There is always the hope that he returns to his 2013-17 form, but the sample size over two seasons is almost 500 PAs now, and it appears that Donaldson's level is a middle of the pack 3B.

Ender is a complete black hole in the lineup. Post his numbers along side of JD & Camargo’s. When he had a 200 hit season, he was still a below average hitter.

Ender's stats aren't good either, but he's a strong defensive outfielder and has some speed. Right now the Braves have 2 of 3 OF playing out of position, and it has shown some.

I'm also not saying trade Donaldson because he's awful or anything, but we have our 3B of the future on this team. If Donaldson is merely a 1 year rental, why not try to get some return in the form of bullpen help or maybe another outfield bat? Hopefully he starts raking and this all becomes pointless chatter.

I thought Donaldson would be better but he isn't getting traded. His big spike in K rate is concerning.

Austin Riley has been a terrific spark and he will be a solid regular I think. He is walking in 3.5% of his at bats and striking out 30+%. His HR/FB has started to come back to Earth.

It should not be that hard to rotate Donaldson, Riley, Camargo, Markakis, Culberson keeping them sharp and fresh but I don't have a lot of confidence in Snit's ability to do so.

Best, most encouraging thing about this Pirates sweep is Ozzie has pounded the ball from the left side.

Maybe it is time to start giving Donaldson and Markakis 1 day per week off. The older guys might play better when fresh. Markakis faded the second half of last season and has looked frustrated and tired a few times this year.

Ender is not a strong defender. He was. But he is not anymore.

Ender is not a strong defender. He was. But he is not anymore.

Based off what? he missed a diving catch this year which I thought “woah that’s not Ender” but that’s it. Doesn’t mean he’s a bad in the field.

Donaldson will be fine. He plays great D and will have MVP moments.

His defensive metrics had fallen off before he went on the IL. He’s certainly not unplayable but clamoring to be playing him because of his defense isn’t right. He used to be a great glove. Now? A smidge below average to average. At the time he went on the IL, he had 0 DRS. For comparison, Nick had 2 DRS at that time. His glove just doesn’t outweigh his pitiful bat to start him anymore.

Last edited:
I think you are undervaluing him and he’s a fine player for us at the bottom of the lineup for his price. He was playing through injury this season.

Joyce in left yesterday is a good reminder of the importance of good defense.

BMac missed the third and fourth pitches by a mile then scooped out a game winner. What a hero!

Based off what? he missed a diving catch this year which I thought “woah that’s not Ender” but that’s it. Doesn’t mean he’s a bad in the field.

Donaldson will be fine. He plays great D and will have MVP moments.

Highlight “MVP moments”

Braves went from one back to four up in last 10 games.

Donaldson earning that money too.

Hope Keuchel has a good debut tomorrow.

Lol at the Donaldson criticism.

Swarzek has been a good pick up thus far. Still need a closer. Jackson is a great 7th-inning guy, average 8th inning guy, and a subpar closer.

Kuechel's debut is this Friday against the Nats; Strasburg opposing. Braves will miss Scherzer who dominated the Phils last night with a broken nose.

2042ebe1-706f-4172-8a6b-53f0ba1e5e99-_max-scherzer-eye.JPG

Keuchel gave up one hit in 7 in his first rehab start and then 11 hits and 3 runs in the last one. Hopefully more of the former.

Keuchel gave up one hit in 7 in his first rehab start and then 11 hits and 3 runs in the last one. Hopefully more of the former.

Obviously not as pretty of a line as his second start. But his second start is a huge reason we signed him. Only giving up 3 runs while scattering 11 hits and throwing 7 innings is quite impressive.

Shows he worked out of jams and ate up innings. Veteran starters (and former CY Young winners) are able to put up that kind of stat line when he probably did not have his best stuff.

*noted that it was against AA competition.

Encouraged by Keuchel's first start. Had some good innings, struggled, battled. Not bad for your first start out. I'm content.

Back