• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Atlanta Braves Season Thread: off season decisions loom

I need that gif of the beer pyramid going down

Braves & Acuna close to an 8 year, $100 million extension + 2 option years. Yessir.

Deal starts with the season and runs thru the 2026 season with the options taking it to 2028. Heck of a deal for us. The amount of surplus value could be insane.

I was just thinking the other day about how sad I'll be when Acuna is doing the bidding war in five years and the Braves don't even pretend to be involved.

Bobby in hospital for possible stroke. Prayers to skip.

Would have rather gone with Camargo and Riley this season and used Donaldson's money towards a frontline starter.

Hell, with how much money we saved by extending Acuna, we could still grab Keuchel long-term.

They have the money to go get Keuchel and Kimbrell.

Folty, Newcomb, Keuchel and Teheran as the top 4 in the rotation with Kimbrell and Vizcaino in the pen sounds pretty good. They could cut or trade away some of the dead weight that is currently on the pitching staff.

Would have rather gone with Camargo and Riley this season and used Donaldson's money towards a frontline starter.

Hell, with how much money we saved by extending Acuna, we could still grab Keuchel long-term.

Not sure I get the logic here. We are now spending more money on him the next few years than previously expected. I think it gives another excuse to the FO for why we aren't signing anyone.

Point here is that we may not have made big time signings this off season because we were worried about not being able to lock up Acuna.

Now that we have locked him up for a bargain, worry is out of the way, and we can sign big name starters.

Point here is that we may not have made big time signings this off season because we were worried about not being able to lock up Acuna.

Now that we have locked him up for a bargain, worry is out of the way, and we can sign big name starters.

Acuna was under team control for a long time before his new contract.

Minter is supposed to return tonight, Gausman tomorrow, and Foltynewicz is starting in AAA tonight too.

It would be laughable if the Braves cried poor due to the Acuna extension.

Acuna was under team control for a long time before his new contract.

Minter is supposed to return tonight, Gausman tomorrow, and Foltynewicz is starting in AAA tonight too.

It would be laughable if the Braves cried poor due to the Acuna extension.

AA said he wasn't going to spend this offseason at the potential detriment of losing the future.

When you have a chance to lock up a potential Mike Trout for a longer time that should be your priority as compared to locking up a frontline starter for five years at the potential detriment of losing said Mike Trout clone. If anything, we are doing the exact opposite of what the Angels did with Trout. They screwed themselves by locking up Trout (even after team control) for 6 years, 144M and then just dished out the largest contract in MLB history because they didn't do what the Barves just did with Acuna.

Now that we took care of the biggest worry (locking up Acuna forever, on the cheap, and when his contract will run out when he is on the decline) we can now spend more freely without having to worry about losing Acuna when he is 28. It's not difficult logic.

Are we spending more money on him in the next 3 years tho? I haven’t seen the breakdown of the contract but I’d be surprised if he was getting more than $3 million or so for the first few years. Maybe 5 million in year 3 & then incremental increases that would be in line with his arbitration earnings would be my guess.

AA said he wasn't going to spend this offseason at the potential detriment of losing the future.

When you have a chance to lock up a potential Mike Trout for a longer time that should be your priority as compared to locking up a frontline starter for five years at the potential detriment of losing said Mike Trout clone. If anything, we are doing the exact opposite of what the Angels did with Trout. They screwed themselves by locking up Trout (even after team control) for 6 years, 144M and then just dished out the largest contract in MLB history because they didn't do what the Barves just did with Acuna.

Now that we took care of the biggest worry (locking up Acuna forever, on the cheap, and when his contract will run out when he is on the decline) we can now spend more freely without having to worry about losing Acuna when he is 28. It's not difficult logic.

"logic". ok.

Are we spending more money on him in the next 3 years tho? I haven’t seen the breakdown of the contract but I’d be surprised if he was getting more than $3 million or so for the first few years. Maybe 5 million in year 3 & then incremental increases that would be in line with his arbitration earnings would be my guess.

I could be wrong, but I think the 100 million is just divided by the total number of years starting now. There is additional bonus money and a 2 year option as well.

I think the appealing part for Acuna was that he doesn't have to wait 5 years to start getting big money. He was making 1 mil for the next 5 years, so he should make an extra +/-55 million before his rookie contract would have expired.

Negative. That’s rarely how it works. I think even Trout’s deal has small raises throughout.

Back