• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Atlanta Braves Season Thread: off season decisions loom

Shitty incompetent human error is ruining sports a lot more than an extra 3 min in a baseball game and 10 in football for reviews. The problem is the humans involved in replay review still get it wrong a lot of the time. Need robots!!

Yep didn't play nearly clean enough to win a WS game tonight.

Wright is starting game 4 or 5 after that. Wow. Just 1 inning but very impressive. Smyly can be this year’s Tomlin.

Turd, you're making way too much sense for this group. When the Braves AAA team was in Richmond, I split season tickets with a couple of friends and we pulled for the big club too.

I had no idea that the Braves' fans on this board were so insufferable. You guys just begin every day with the absolute certainty that the whole world is intent on getting over on you?

What a way to approach fandom. Good luck.

Last edited:
Turd, you're making way too much sense for this group. When the Braves AAA team was in Richmond I split season tickets with a couple of friends and we pulled for the big club too.

I had no idea that the Braves' fans on this board were so insufferable. You guys just begin every day with the absolute certainty that the whole world is absolutely intent on getting

over on you? What a way to approach fandom. Good luck.

A computer program grades umpires. Unless we were all blind tonight, the home plate umpire has now favored the opposing team in 11/12 playoff games. Some of them egregious. Tough not to feel snakebitten when that happens. How would you feel? That in 2021 it wouldn’t be easily doable to have AI call balls and strikes better than old, stubborn white dudes?

Try to relax.

Edit: Bobby Cox was an old white guy.

Last edited:
A computer program grades umpires. Unless we were all blind tonight, the home plate umpire has now favored the opposing team in 11/12 playoff games. Some of them egregious. Tough not to feel snakebitten when that happens. How would you feel? That in 2021 it wouldn’t be easily doable to have AI call balls and strikes better than old, stubborn white dudes?

I'm a Braves fan and definitely haven't been happy with a lot of the calls. It does seem we've gotten shafted in both series on balls and strikes. Incidentally the grading system for umpires is not the same system that is used in broadcasts. I'm not excusing it, but to say there are easy technology fixes is just ridiculous.

The best that technology can do right now is offer a 2-dimensional plane that is inconsistently adjusted to player height that pitchers would love and batters would hate. Pitchers could throw breaking balls that nick the bottom of the plane and bounce off the back of the plate for strikes. Literally nobody calls (or wants called) strikes at the top corners in and out because they are unhittable, but they would be strikes too. That cock-high pitch an inch off the corner that everyone is whining about is infinitely more hittable than a chest high fastball that nicks the inside corner. But it would be incredibly consistent...

To summarize, Kulpa did not have a great game and I agree the Braves haven't gotten much help in two series, it's not why we lost the game, we need to stop shifting all the time, get double-plays, Fried did not pitch well, we need to put the ball in play more and stop striking out, stop leaving runners in scoring position on base, technology isn't as good as you think it is, people complain about umpires but have never read a rulebook and know little about how the game is actually officiated or played, and some of the more despised umpires are not white (CB, Laz, Angel).

So... it turns out that Kulpa called one of the more accurate games by any umpire this postseason.

I hate Ron "I can do whatever I want" Kulpa as much as anyone, though, so carry on. Go Stros!

jm7a6o8tb7w71.jpg

So... it turns out that Kulpa called one of the more accurate games by any umpire this postseason.

I hate Ron "I can do whatever I want" Kulpa as much as anyone, though, so carry on. Go Stros!

jm7a6o8tb7w71.jpg

I thought he did a good job overall. It just happened that he missed 3 of the first 15 pitches.

Last edited:
I don't think it's misleading to say 96% overall accuracy is better than the 94% average, but I'm just a guy.

So you've been cheated in 11/12 playoff games, and you're 1-1 going home with a chance to clinch the World Series. I'd roll with that.

Back