• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Atlanta Braves Season Thread: off season decisions loom

Huge hit from Ozuna!! Smith and Minter have been rough the last couple of weeks though.

1 strike away from a 2-0 win with no one on and now losing. Baseball gods are cruel. Thompson was completely lost and thought he hit a game ending pop up.

That fucking sucks. Really wanted to hand that hideous beaver Gonsolin a loss.

Kenley Jansen goes on the IL with irregular heart beat. This has been an issue before with him.

FF fires agent. While I don’t think FF is completely excused from how it all went down, firing the agent following the series in Atlanta is pretty telling.

FF fires agent. While I don’t think FF is completely excused from how it all went down, firing the agent following the series in Atlanta is pretty telling.

jay-mohr-GC.jpg

But seriously, agents work for you. If you are not directing them according to your wishes, that's on you. The agent went out and got FF the best deal. If staying in Atl meant something to FF, then he should have instructed his agent to accept a deal with a hometown discount to assure that he re-signs.

Yeah at the end of the day if Freddie wanted this badly to stay in ATL, he has no one to blame but himself that it didn't happen.

But I can see a scenario where Freddie's agent convinced him they could still get a lot more money from ATL by leveraging other offers, and where his agent convinced him that in order for leveraging other offers to work there needed to be no communication between Freddie and ATL that did not use the agent as a middleman. Then Freddie's agent overplayed his hand without Freddie understanding what was happening and ATL moved on to Olson. It's surprising to me that ATL did not reach out to Freddie directly (not through the agent) to say something along the lines of "sign the contract that is on the table in the next hour or else we are moving on to another option."

Regardless of whether they work for you or not, players (usually rightfully so) trust that their agent has expertise in negotiations and therefore are going to usually do what the agent suggests as far as how the negotiating is handled.

jay-mohr-GC.jpg

But seriously, agents work for you. If you are not directing them according to your wishes, that's on you. The agent went out and got FF the best deal. If staying in Atl meant something to FF, then he should have instructed his agent to accept a deal with a hometown discount to assure that he re-signs.

He actually ended up with less than he would gotten with the Braves

Yeah at the end of the day if Freddie wanted this badly to stay in ATL, he has no one to blame but himself that it didn't happen.

But I can see a scenario where Freddie's agent convinced him they could still get a lot more money from ATL by leveraging other offers, and where his agent convinced him that in order for leveraging other offers to work there needed to be no communication between Freddie and ATL that did not use the agent as a middleman. Then Freddie's agent overplayed his hand without Freddie understanding what was happening and ATL moved on to Olson. It's surprising to me that ATL did not reach out to Freddie directly (not through the agent) to say something along the lines of "sign the contract that is on the table in the next hour or else we are moving on to another option."

Regardless of whether they work for you or not, players (usually rightfully so) trust that their agent has expertise in negotiations and therefore are going to usually do what the agent suggests as far as how the negotiating is handled.

I mean, the Braves did exactly that. They had Chipper talk to Freddie directly and tell him they were seriously going to have to move on. That he needed to get involved with the process. He refused, simply trusted his agent, not knowing he was throwing bullshit 60 minute ultimatums like some movie caricature of an agent at a Braves front office that was never going to reward that kind of crap.

And he didn't actually get a better deal from the Dodgers. Thankfully the Dodgers are incredible and he's playing back home, can you imagine how much more crying there would have been if the Dodgers suffered a few injuries, decided to sell of some pieces and head for a few rebuilding years?

Olson with two dingers tonight.

I'd bet good money Freddie has another stint with Atlanta, probably to end his career. Dodgers will probably have at least one bad year in the next 6 and be sellers, or the Braves will scoop him up as a DH at the end of his contract. Unless, of course, Matt Olson wins 2 rings and an MVP, and then Freddie will be a bit of an afterthought.

I'd bet good money Freddie has another stint with Atlanta, probably to end his career. Dodgers will probably have at least one bad year in the next 6 and be sellers, or the Braves will scoop him up as a DH at the end of his contract. Unless, of course, Matt Olson wins 2 rings and an MVP, and then Freddie will be a bit of an afterthought.

Agree respectfully with many aspects except the last. No matter what, Freddie will not be an afterthought.

No clue about the credibility of this, but...

Not to get ahead of ourselves but the path to us going from 10.5 back on 5/31 to leading the division by the All Star break is there. Need to take care of business in the 7 with the Nats and 3 with the Reds before the break; and also not get swept by the Mets in two weeks.

1) Braves’ PA announcer passed in his sleep.
2) Acuña top vote getter in the NL so he is starting the AS Game.

Not to get ahead of ourselves but the path to us going from 10.5 back on 5/31 to leading the division by the All Star break is there. Need to take care of business in the 7 with the Nats and 3 with the Reds before the break; and also not get swept by the Mets in two weeks.

Very favorable first half schedule.

Back