• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Atlanta Braves Season Thread: off season decisions loom

Gosselin doesn't belong on a MLB roster, let alone one as good as ours, but I have a hard time believing Cano isn't toast.

Remember when people were dreaming of an Waters/Pache/Acuna outfield? Lol

Pache's bat was always been a question mark, but man, his offensive numbers in Oakland are frighteningly bad:

214 plate appearances: .149/.203/.224 BA/OBP/SLG Pache is probably the worst offensive player in MLB in 2022 with that many plate appearances.

Gosselin doesn't belong on a MLB roster, let alone one as good as ours, but I have a hard time believing Cano isn't toast.

I assume he's the LH side of a 2B platoon with Arcia. Considering he's basically free and perhaps motivated to stick it to the Mets, I'm cool taking a flyer, but I agree with you that he's probably done.

Sucks we had to shut Soroka's rehab down due to a bad knee bruise. Unlikely to make any rehab starts before after the break, now. The Waters trade seems a bit weird, and we finally gave up on Touki as well. Shame he could never establish a spot in the pen.

We held all these guys too long IMO. Prospects are usually only good as trade chips. I wonder what could have been in ‘18, ‘19, and ‘20 if we had flipped a few guys earlier. Lots of failed pitching prospects in particular.

On the other hand, look at the development of Max Fried and Kyle Wright. Both had struggles, trips to the bullpen, AAA, etc. Thank God we hung on to those guys and let them figure it out. I totally get what you're saying, but not a lot of young starting pitchers come up and are Spencer Strider or Mike Soroka.

On the other hand, look at the development of Max Fried and Kyle Wright. Both had struggles, trips to the bullpen, AAA, etc. Thank God we hung on to those guys and let them figure it out. I totally get what you're saying, but not a lot of young starting pitchers come up and are Spencer Strider or Mike Soroka.

Oh for sure. I just still think about when we had about 9 high level pitching prospects. Even if they all panned out we weren’t going to have a 9 man rotation!

I know our farm system is a bit depleted right now, in part do to some of the international shadiness a while back, but historically it's always been one of the best in baseball. Tough to question too many decisions, particularly when we've been a team (until this year) well outside the top 10 in highest payroll. Teams don't trade star players with many years remaining on their contracts for prospects (unless you sell the farm, and maybe not then).

MLB replay has got to be one of the most mismanaged aspects of any professional sport

Oh for sure. I just still think about when we had about 9 high level pitching prospects. Even if they all panned out we weren’t going to have a 9 man rotation!

In that same vein, it makes sense to hold on to a lot of pitching prospects. You’re toast when you have 4 high level prospects & 0 pan out. It is a game of chances with prospects. Hoard the pitchers, trade the hitting prospects.

Duvall is such a fucking disgrace. Get him back to the Paternity list.

Back