• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

50 Years Ago Tonight!

DeacDoug

Reaction score
Charlie Davis set the WF basketball scoring record with 51 points vs. the American U Eagles. I was keeping my own score sheet on press row (nobody does this anymore) and Larry Habegger kept asking me how many points Charlie had. It was an easy, fun win for the program which, as now, didn't have that many during my tenure. Charlie was such a great player that I'd hate to think where we would have been without him. Can't believe 50 years has past.

For the Wellman haters, we had one 1 NCAA championship on display in our trophy case when I was graduated. I was kind of amazed that we even had that one in baseball. We have quite a few more now, although basketball is clearly worse than it was in my day.

Charlie Davis set the WF basketball scoring record with 51 points vs. the American U Eagles. I was keeping my own score sheet on press row (nobody does this anymore) and Larry Habegger kept asking me how many points Charlie had. It was an easy, fun win for the program which, as now, didn't have that many during my tenure. Charlie was such a great player that I'd hate to think where we would have been without him. Can't believe 50 years has past.

For the Wellman haters, we had one 1 NCAA championship on display in our trophy case when I was graduated. I was kind of amazed that we even had that one in baseball. We have quite a few more now, although basketball is clearly worse than it was in my day.
We had 3 golf NCAA championships before Ron hit town. We still have three.

Charlie Davis set the WF basketball scoring record with 51 points vs. the American U Eagles. I was keeping my own score sheet on press row (nobody does this anymore) and Larry Habegger kept asking me how many points Charlie had. It was an easy, fun win for the program which, as now, didn't have that many during my tenure. Charlie was such a great player that I'd hate to think where we would have been without him. Can't believe 50 years has

I was there . What would CD have averaged with a 3 point line.?

Last edited:
I was at that game, and I used to keep the stats for every player on the team while watching the game in the stands. I still have that program. CD scored 16 in the first half and lit it up for 35 points in the 2nd half. Gil McGregor carried CD on his shoulders after he set the record.

The other great memory that year was obliterating Duke in Greensboro before Christmas. McGregor was a little rough around the edges early that year, but had a monster game.

CD had the best shot and was the best scorer that i have witnessed at WF. Great player. If he had played with the 3 pt. line he would have taken more outside shots and I don't think it is possible to project how many he might have averaged.

Charlie averaged 24.9 ppg for his Wake career without a three point line.

Also was at the game. CD was one of the best ever at Wake. Smooth shot and a real leader

Back