• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ron Wellman & the Ticket Trade

donaldross

Reaction score
Ron for decades has fought the 3rd party ticket market. For awhile, he had backers. Now he is the only AD in the country to not allow game time digital scanning direct from phone off third party apps and also not allow ordinary flips on property.

It has been over a decade since NC Supreme Court weighed in in favor of stubhub (much to my class clients detriment) & the NC legislature subsequently agreed: flopping tickets is 100% legal, smart, & normal.

Ron kept fighting. After wasting 6 million of our money on the Joel (no other bidder), he then hired off duty cops to kick ordinary alums off (their) property for trying to sell their extras for $5 each. When confronted with the reality that what they were doing was 100% legal, the response was “the AD says this is his property & he can do what he wants”

The resale of tickets has for years been mainstream. Programs like Duke & WF work with both brokers and third party websites too their benefit.

So to all those text messages you are receiving this morning from your colleagues trying to figure out how to get in, the answer is simple: “WF is a 3rd world country. Our AD lives in 1995. Buy your tix across the street or print them out at home. Enjoy your annual home game in Winston.”

I got two spares for today because my kids don't want to suffer with me, guess I'll be standing down at the Goodwill.

Meh. The secondary market is rarely going to work in Wake’s favor. Even if we are ever somehow good again. I’m not going to waste time being pissed that blue and red clad assholes don’t have the convenience of discounted tickets.

Speaking of tickets, I just scored a four pack for $4 each, no fees, for the Syracuse game. Some guy named Frank Bacon took a 33% loss; he picked 'em up for $6 each. The big dilemma that I faced though was whether to purchase ticket protection for $6.99 each???

Wellman and the BOD really wish that it was still the 1960's.

Well except for that sweet, sweet rich kid cash.

I thought it was still illegal in NC to sell tickets for over $3 face value (if rarely enforced).

wfu doesn't do scans of tickets off the phone? wtf A few weeks ago a guy off twitter e mailed me 2 free tickets to the Davidson/VCU game that he couldn't use. Scanned off the phone into Davidson's arena. The easiest thing ever. They really need to get into the 21st century.

It is. Shockingly, DR has no idea what he's talking about.
This is one topic that I'm absolutely sure DR knows what he's talking about. I'd go so far as to say he knows more about the secondary ticket market than anyone on these boards.

Last edited:
It's legal provided it's done online through certain qualified third parties. Still illegal, I think, to do it in person for greater than $3 over face. I agree with Racer, though - this is one area I'm fairly confident DR is on top of.

This is one topic that I'm absolutely sure DR knows what he's talking about. I'd go so far as to say he knows more about the secondary ticket market than anyone on these boards.

Illegal to sell tickets more than $3 over face value in person. It’s pretty black and white.

Wake Forest needs to stop spreading tenure to the Athletic Director. It has seeped in from the academic side. We kept Hooks the predecessor ten years too long. Now history repeats. It's a business and hires and fires should reflect that.

Illegal to sell tickets more than $3 over face value in person. It’s pretty black and white.
You'll have to point me to the post where he said differently. For the record, I know for a fact that DR has flipped tickets at everything from Wake Basketball to the Masters, and thousands of other events. He knows more about this than you, period.

You fuckers are missing the point. I want an AD who brags tickets to see my product are going for $100 bucks in the parking lot. He doesn't have to be the enforcement arm no matter the law. Especially when his product is $3 bucks a ticket.

You fuckers are missing the point. I want an AD who brags tickets to see my product are going for $100 bucks in the parking lot. He doesn't have to be the enforcement arm no matter the law. Especially when his product is $3 bucks a ticket.
No doubt. The fact that Wellman wants to play morality cop is just more evidence of his need to micromanage and control everything to do with Wake basketball.

Yeah nobody is selling wake tickets for three dollars over face value right now.

1971 ACC Tournament Greensboro
Holiday Inn Four Seasons Bathroom

So I'm pissing next to Lefty Driesel.
Lefty says how's it going
Me: Cops ran me out of the Coliseum Parking lot for trying to cop tickets.
Lefty: That ain't good.
Me: it's okay. I'll find some here in the hotel
We wash up and when we go to the Lobby I hear
Lefty: Fuck the cops. Here's two tickets.
Lower level 8 rows up. Fuck our AD on how we get tickets.

Dipshits. As if we needed even more evidence that nobody is attending Wake home games in harms way. Wake enforces a policy on their private property that prohibits ticket sales of any kind. Heck, they'll even stop you from giving tix away. Ron is living in his own fantasy world and you fools are allowing it to happen.

Anyone who sells a ticket to a WF athletic event for $3 over face outside the venue should be convicted of theft.

Back