• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is Danny Manning the worst coach in ACC HISTORY?

Worst. Coach. Ever.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No, 4th worse. 3rd is Jeff [name redacted], 2nd is Bob Staak. The worst was Georgia Tech coach Dwayne Morrison, who went 1-27 the first 2 years the Yellowjackets were in the ACC. He was fired and replaced by Bobby Cremins, who rebuilt the program.

Last edited:
Maybe not statistically, but as a State guy whose teen years coincided with the Les Robinson years, yes. Yes he is the worst coach in ACC History. Manning sucks, and doesn't seem to know or care.

Nah, Les was worse. And since he lasted six years he surely got a contract extension at some point, so he has Danny beat there too.

Bz was worse too, how soon we forget -- better basketball knowledge but his other many shortcomings made him worse

Nah, Les was worse. And since he lasted six years he surely got a contract extension at some point, so he has Danny beat there too.

Bz was worse too, how soon we forget -- better basketball knowledge but his other many shortcomings made him worse

Nope, buzz the far better coach

I vote Wade as the worst coach ever, one coach told my Dad that Wade was the least knowledgeable coach ever. Said he was not on par with a really good high school coach.

I vote Wade as the worst coach ever, one coach told my Dad that Wade was the least knowledgeable coach ever. Said he was not on par with a really good high school coach.

I call bullshit on that. Wade got the job at Maryland because he was a great high school coach. He was Muggsy’s coach at Dunbar. No way an actual college coach would say that.

Manning will probably end up with a lower overall winning percentage than Wade.

Last edited:
Are we forgetting Les Robinson? They named the opening night tourney game after him.

Les was a better coach than Manning. Has a better record. Did more with less.

Best as I recall, Les's teams always seemed to compete and played hard for him. Never were worth a shit but it seemed they at least tried. Been many years ago at this point so I'm sure there were off-nights.

As for Manning, after today, I get the sense the players either don't like him or don't respect him. It's obvious there's no effort and they have no fight.

It's one thing to be a tactically bad coach. I'm beginning to think the issue with Manning is beyond the X's and O's. These kids have absolutely no fire whatsoever.

Les was a better coach than Manning. Has a better record. Did more with less.

A lot of his better record is that he made the tourney the year after Valvano left. After that he was godawful

A lot of his better record is that he made the tourney the year after Valvano left. After that he was godawful

Yeah but he was basically coaching with one hand tied behind his back. NC State got nailed way harder than UNC for doing much less.

Best as I recall, Les's teams always seemed to compete and played hard for him. Never were worth a shit but it seemed they at least tried. Been many years ago at this point so I'm sure there were off-nights.

As for Manning, after today, I get the sense the players either don't like him or don't respect him. It's obvious there's no effort and they have no fight.

It's one thing to be a tactically bad coach. I'm beginning to think the issue with Manning is beyond the X's and O's. These kids have absolutely no fire whatsoever.

The out of control roster attrition would lead me to believe they don’t really like him.

The out of control roster attrition would lead me to believe they don’t really like him.

One man’s roster attrition is another man’s sending kids to the NBA.

He was also 5-7 against Dean Smith, so he could at least motivate the team every now and then. Manning doesn't seem to have that in him.

Manning has certainly done less with more. Most of those other guys did not waste the talent the way Danny did.

Outside of recruiting, no one can hold a candle to the awfulness of DM.

Les Robinson could coach circles around Danny Manning.

Les Robinson's sweater vest could coach circles around Danny Manning.

When 2/3rds of your fan base think you're the worst coach in the history of your conference its time to get the fuck out of town.

Back