• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Case for firing Manning Today to Save Randolph Childress' Future

I used to feel sorry for assistants like Randolph when the head coach got fired since for years they were poorly paid, but I think that scenario has changed, at least in college football. What does Randolph make? $ 250,000 ? These assistants have known for a year or so that their future job prospects were tenuous— do they make enough to salt some away?

he makes $250k?

Agreed, Randolph should have found a new job after Manning year three. He could have parlayed the first four / JC success into an HC job at Longwood or someplace similar.

guessing he stayed to be able to coach his kid.

I'd say $250K would be the absolute minimum. Most #1 assistants at major programs can make up to $700K and above. My guess Chill is around $350K plus

we talk about manning's salary/contract often but when you factor in the rest of the staff, woof. the sheer amount of money flushed into this fucking toilet is mind boggling

Chill will get another D1 job. We shouldn’t worry about him. After 9 years of this mess with only one enjoyable season to speak of, our assistant coaches should be the last of our concerns.

Chill will get another D1 job. We shouldn’t worry about him. After 9 years of this mess with only one enjoyable season to speak of, our assistant coaches should be the last of our concerns.

Wrangor--do you see Lil Chill staying on with the expected coaching change? Even if he could finish his degree and go the post grad route?

The next coach is going to clean house and bring in their own staff. The ONLY way that Chill gets a bench job elsewhere - as he has now sat beside two failed coaches at Wake - is if he is given 7 or 8 games to breath some life into a dead or dying program. Give the man a shot, the possibility of a future as college assistant coach is at stake for him.

My God man what has he done that makes you think Randolph Childress deserves to still sit on a Wake Forest bench? Just because he was one of our best players does not mean he is or can be a great coach. It just does not work that way. Besides whoever we get has to have to be able to bring in his own staff and not be made to take or keep anybody.

I would hope all Childressi close to the matter can understand that Wake Forest has done everything within reason to keep them involved with the program, and that a separation is clearly nothing personal. They may have gotten bad shakes when it came to head coaches, but cleaning house is a business decision. If Childress wants to interview with a new coach, then I'm all for it, but either way, I hope him and little Chill can see this for what it is, and continue to stay involved with Wake athletics in some capacity for decades to come.

Last edited:
Randolph has shown enough recruiting chops that he'll be fine. The school needs to start making decisions on the basis that they are the best thing for the basketball program for a change.

IF there's a coaching change, whatever happens with the staff must be strictly about the business of Wake Forest basketball and improving it asap. Randolph is a Wake Forest hero and legend as a player. That should never be questioned, but shouldn't be a part of any staff decisions going forward. His ability to contribute as a coach is the only discussion topic. As far as Brandon Childress, he should be treated by the rules as far as a transfer opportunity if he wants one, and with respect by our community as far as his future association with Wake Forest in any way. Personally, I'd be happy to have him on the squad whether he never plays another minute. He's a selfless teammate who gives 1000% to the team, and we need that quality no matter what.

My God man what has he done that makes you think Randolph Childress deserves to still sit on a Wake Forest bench? Just because he was one of our best players does not mean he is or can be a great coach. It just does not work that way. Besides whoever we get has to have to be able to bring in his own staff and not be made to take or keep anybody.

You do understanf what I'm saying right? We cannot bring oats in to coach our final 7 games. We vs . Both agree on that. So can manning now and give the reigns to chill for his final 6 or 7 games at wake. Maybe he can gin up some energy which reflect positively on his opportunities for next year elsewhere

I think Randolph will land on his feet. Statistically, after landing Massoud, Childress is ranked as the #24 best recruiter of all D1 assistants, based on the average ranking of commits landed. He's been the primary recruiter for Mucius, Massoud, Bryant Crawford, Sharone Wright Jr. and John Collins. Also was the guy that got Wake Forest in Cole Anthony's top 6. He's not a bad recruiter, he's actually the best one Danny Manning has had.

wild thought: maybe it's actually Childress that is the problem and not Danny

Danny is definitely a problem. The question is whether Childress is one too. Either way he doesn't deserve to stay because he's been on the worst 2 staff's in history, but I think he's the best of the bunch. Woodberry can't recruit, and sucks at identifying talent. Jones was connected to the DMV area for recruiting, but killed someone. Bauman hasn't done anything yet, but he's also only been an assistant coach for less than 1 year.

I think Randolph's hand are tied. Manning is going to do things the way he wants know matter what the outcome. He is not going to listen to his assistants. I think Randolph is the time of personality that he is going to win, he is just too competitive. I do hope he takes another job, and I would not bet against him.

It was interesting hearing Odom say on telecast that he was surprised Childress was a coach because he lacked patience. With that said, RANDOLPH CHILDRESS is our DABO SWINEY. Remember when the fired Bowden, and let DABO coach out the year.

It was interesting hearing Odom say on telecast that he was surprised Childress was a coach because he lacked patience. With that said, RANDOLPH CHILDRESS is our DABO SWINEY. Remember when the fired Bowden, and let DABO coach out the year.

Chill and Dabo are polar opposites.

Has a single guard shown any improvement in Childress's time here? Not to rag the guy but there is zero evidence he can coach. He is historically a slightly below average recruiter at wake as well.

Has a single guard shown any improvement in Childress's time here? Not to rag the guy but there is zero evidence he can coach. He is historically a slightly below average recruiter at wake as well.

Umm, Brandon has improved a bit.

Chill is my favorite Wake player of all time but this is where i am. we have seen progression of big men but the guards have not improved at all. i am also not aware of his high recruiting prowess...who was he lead on? i mean we have not had GREAT recruiting for the last 10 years. this FR class was our best, and was not a ball buster (already lost one of them after 5-10 games).

Well the time for Wake to pull that was at least after we lost to Clemson. If Childress had gotten us to .500 in conference, I would have been willing to give him a chance.

Back