• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Case for firing Manning Today to Save Randolph Childress' Future

jaybone

Reaction score
The next coach is going to clean house and bring in their own staff. The ONLY way that Chill gets a bench job elsewhere - as he has now sat beside two failed coaches at Wake - is if he is given 7 or 8 games to breath some life into a dead or dying program. Give the man a shot, the possibility of a future as college assistant coach is at stake for him.

The next coach is going to clean house and bring in their own staff. The ONLY way that Chill gets a bench job elsewhere - as he has now sat beside two failed coaches at Wake - is if he is given 7 or 8 games to breath some life into a dead or dying program. Give the man a shot, the possibility of a future as college assistant coach is at stake for him.

I think Wake has done enough for Childress. I mean he is hands down my favorite Wake player ever, but Wake doesn't owe him anything. He has been a coach under two failed head coaches. It's time for him to move on if he wants to continue coaching. I would love for him to stay at Wake but not on the bench.

Childress has had ample opportunities to save himself and find somewhere else to coach, so one of three things is probably happening:
1. He is content here and not actively aiming to rise up the coaching ladder.
2. He is remaining way too loyal to WF to jump off the sinking ship.
3. He is part of the problem at WF.

I'd imagine that the answer is a combination of two or all three of those options.

I agree and I think it’s in that order. I’d be shocked if Childress wasn’t back in an AD or Deacon Club position. Of course that’s assuming he isn’t on the next staff.

I wish RC had just gone straight into the AD/Deacon Club or atleast after Bz. As much as I love him based on those glory years he gave us we have to admit the stench of not one but two of the sorry coaching staffs in ACC history is hard to ignore, even on a legend.

ETA: No way he gets a bench job above a D2 school at this point.

He'll get a DI job. He's considered a Top 25 recruiter. How many other assistants can manage to recruit some of the athletes Wake has had with such a shitty product on the court? His coaching... who knows the quality of that.

This is a good idea. Afterwards, maybe Randolph can get a job at UNC-Asheville and hire Jamil Jones as an assistant.

I wish RC had just gone straight into the AD/Deacon Club or atleast after Bz. As much as I love him based on those glory years he gave us we have to admit the stench of not one but two of the sorry coaching staffs in ACC history is hard to ignore, even on a legend.

ETA: No way he gets a bench job above a D2 school at this point.

He did start in the AD or Deacon Club. Then he became an assistant coach.

I’m guessing that may have been the plan for Justin Gray too.

Good Jamil Jones mention. Crazy that our assistant coach killed a guy and that wasn’t rockbottom.

Last edited:
I think Randolph's hand are tied. Manning is going to do things the way he wants know matter what the outcome. He is not going to listen to his assistants. I think Randolph is the time of personality that he is going to win, he is just too competitive. I do hope he takes another job, and I would not bet against him.

He did start in the AD or Deacon Club. Then he became an assistant coach.

I’m guessing that may have been the plan for Justin Gray too.

Good Jamil Jones mention. Crazy that our assistant coach killed a guy and that wasn’t rockbottom.

I had forgotten that but that's right. I wish he could have been on the bench for some better basketball, though. Maybe if he is such a good recruiter he will find something but there are better coaching trees to fall off of.

Randolph doesn’t have a rosy personality that would translate into a lot of the duties of a head coach. I doubt he would be good with the media and alumni. But he’s been a very good recruiter and the players seem to like and respect him. He has been muzzled on the bench for the most part. He can’t be a Gary Williams with a bozo head coach like Manning. He has to suck hind tit. It’s probably been frustrating as hell.

Your poor souls who love Childress so much you have it in your user name... chill43 and wfu22fan. You’re blind to your hero’s flaws. He’s not being “muzzled.” His hands are not “tied.” If he were a good coach it would have shown itself by now. Maybe he’s a good recruiter. He is not gifted with the coaching gene. I don’t even think RChill is as blind in this particular respect.

He'll get a DI job. He's considered a Top 25 recruiter. How many other assistants can manage to recruit some of the athletes Wake has had with such a shitty product on the court? His coaching... who knows the quality of that.

curious on the basis of "considered a top 25 recruiter" when there are at least 100 programs in much better shape than we are. presumably they each have at least one head or assistant coach who is a better recruiter.

curious on the basis of "considered a top 25 recruiter" when there are at least 100 programs in much better shape than we are. presumably they each have at least one head or assistant coach who is a better recruiter.

This. He is an above average recruiter for an ACC team, but hardly exceptional. Top-25/300+ teams is pretty exceptional.

Hope for the best for Randolph...he's a legend and always will be, but we need to clean house from top to bottom on the basketball staff.

This post has merit. Chill was supposedly the lead recruiter on Collins, Hoard and Muscius and I think those recruiting success will look good on a resume as an assistant some where or maybe an HC at a low low major. He’s also had some recruiting misses though, like Melo, and been the only consistency on two of the worst ACC coaching staffs ever.

He's got to be the losingest assistant coach in Wake Forest, and likely ACC, history.

I used to feel sorry for assistants like Randolph when the head coach got fired since for years they were poorly paid, but I think that scenario has changed, at least in college football. What does Randolph make? $ 250,000 ? These assistants have known for a year or so that their future job prospects were tenuous— do they make enough to salt some away?

I used to feel sorry for assistants like Randolph when the head coach got fired since for years they were poorly paid, but I think that scenario has changed, at least in college football. What does Randolph make? $ 250,000 ? These assistants have known for a year or so that their future job prospects were tenuous— do they make enough to salt some away?

Agreed, Randolph should have found a new job after Manning year three. He could have parlayed the first four / JC success into an HC job at Longwood or someplace similar.

Back