• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Right Wing Terrorists in the Military

Comparing the NYT and Wapo to the breitbart and such :: comparing left wing terrorism to right wing terrorism problem.

Take it up with Lara Logan..she went live and bravely stated that in these times it is outfits “like Breitbart and Fox” telling truths at a far greater pace than what she described as “horseshit” being churned out by the mainstream mills.

Her words

Take it up with Lara Logan..she went live and bravely stated that in these times it is outfits “like Breitbart and Fox” telling truths at a far greater pace than what she described as “horseshit” being churned out by the mainstream mills.

Her words

Well shit, if Lara effing Logan said it, must be true.

Where, exactly, did I make such an assertion?

Y’all love arguing against arguments I don’t make. I guess it does making winning easier.

Maybe your rhetorical style is distracting. What’s the point in bringing up anti-fa or ‘any other non right wing’ domestic terrorist if not to say that the problem is equally bad and balanced across the political spectrum?

Do you think extremists turn to Fox News or Fox News makes regular people extremists? I think the former. Is there perhaps some small influence Fox News may have on focusing extremists’ rage on certain targets? Possibly, but (a) I think that influence is being grossly overstated, (b) any news show would have a similar effect, and (c) more importantly, if we are looking to solve the problem, what can be done about it? You can’t regulate Fox News’s content because of the first amendment and market forces aren’t going to shut it down any time soon. I haven’t watched Fox News in a while, but when I have, it’s right leaning, obviously, but it’s not extremist in the sense that no one is advocating domestic terrorism.

b) is just ridiculous. There is no way all news programs have the same effect as Tucker or Hannity.

To support my argument that this is not a right- or left-wing problem but a societal problem. The shiny red ball is the right-wing variety, but it’s myopic to stop looking there.

Your argument is undermined by the tremendous imbalance of right- vs left-wing terrorism and the fact that the example you keep turning to, anti-fa, only exist as a response to right-wing fascism. Thus my responses.

I disagree. A right-wing nut job would actually probably get more riled up watching MSNBC than Fox.

Regardless, assuming Fox is the problem: what can be done about it?

Maybe. But he will feel validated by Fox.

Her words

She’s fake news.

Wapo and the New York Times are currently,and by Logan’s insinuation,”Horse Shit!” — she clearly got that descriptor from me :)

Haberman is an ex-Politico hack and Dowd is past her usefulness.

Sheryl Atkisson,Lara Logan and Sara Carter are true to the profession.The bulk of MSM today is a cheese filled combo of yellow journalism and agit-prop. When it comes to Trump supporters or pretty much anyone who doesn’t goose-step to the beat,the response is swift and unforgiving.

*Atkisson’s NYT’s best seller,“Smear”,is an in depth and sourced view of the Left’s favorite tack when facing headwinds..

What a Lovely day :)

Isn’t she the nutjob antivaxxer?

I disagree. A right-wing nut job would actually probably get more riled up watching MSNBC than Fox.

Regardless, assuming Fox is the problem: what can be done about it?

For starters, the POTUS and head of the GOP can stop getting his information from Fox And Friends instead of his Nation Security team, and tweeting about what he just watched during his executive time. The feedback loop between Fox News and the POTUS is dangerous.

Do you think extremists turn to Fox News or Fox News makes regular people extremists? I think the former. Is there perhaps some small influence Fox News may have on focusing extremists’ rage on certain targets? Possibly, but (a) I think that influence is being grossly overstated, (b) any news show would have a similar effect, and (c) more importantly, if we are looking to solve the problem, what can be done about it? You can’t regulate Fox News’s content because of the first amendment and market forces aren’t going to shut it down any time soon. I haven’t watched Fox News in a while, but when I have, it’s right leaning, obviously, but it’s not extremist in the sense that no one is advocating domestic terrorism.

I think it’s no coincidence that these assholes (this guy, MGAG bomber) have lists that contain that same names of liberal politicians and journalists that Trump constatntly tweets about, and that Hannity/Ingraham/Limbaugh/Brietbart have gone after. Surely that is no coincidence, right? Seems as though these men are influenced in some way by this messaging.

I’ll ask again - do you have a link to political killers, or would be killers, from the past who compile very specific liberal political/media hit lists like this that occurred under previous admins? If they’re not out there, I wonder why that would be.

Look at the chart on the second page of the link I posted. The relative numbers are not what you are claiming.

What am I missing? At best right wing is at least double left wing and environmental combined. That’s with out religious extremism some of which is undoubtedly right wing too. Also the only left wing deaths since the 80s were from a single attack by a black nationalist. According to these data, Right wing extremism is at least twice as bad as left and that’s only if you don’t care about body counts.

41ced9cf4bbdcf57581572476e653357.jpg

7446e3b16944b2ae08734d63a1412bd0.jpg

Again, I agree that Fox News may influence the precise targets. But nut jobs gonna nut job regardless.

I think Trump is a much, much more significant influencer than any right-wing media outlets. Trump teaches people that the means always justify the ends.

It would be really great if Republican leadership would echo your second paragraph. There’s little doubt what he says influences these bad actors, but he never takes responsibility. Cowardly and very dangerous.

What am I missing? At best right wing is at least double left wing and environmental combined. That’s with out religious extremism some of which is undoubtedly right wing too. Also the only left wing deaths since the 80s were from a single attack by a black nationalist. According to these data, Right wing extremism is at least twice as bad as left and that’s only if you don’t care about body counts.

41ced9cf4bbdcf57581572476e653357.jpg

7446e3b16944b2ae08734d63a1412bd0.jpg

Whatabout...whatabout...whatabout...

Again, I agree that Fox News may influence the precise targets. But nut jobs gonna nut job regardless.

I think Trump is a much, much more significant influencer than any right-wing media outlets. Trump teaches people that the means always justify the ends.

There is no President Trump as we know it without Foxnews.

And when Trump spends his day watching Fox News and using what they say to influence his thinking and decision making, what then?

Birdman, look at the chart from the 20 aughts. 60% is left wing and 60% is environmental, which is also likely left leaning. Only a small fraction (20%) is right-wing.

There has been a dramatic shift since 2010 toward right-wing.

My point in citing these charts is not to argue that left-wing is a majority or that left-wing is more than right-wing. Rather, my point is that it is incomplete to argue “Fox News!!11” anytime someone blows something up. There is something else going on in the culture that is the root of this.

Still only only 5 fatalities due to left wing terrorism since the 1980s. It’s actually more remarkable that 15 years ago left leaning terrorism was predominant but they accounts for no fatalities. That means left wingers either suck at violence or they aren’t trying to hurt people but rather to make a point. I’ve looked at the raw data and shared the data here previously, I can’t locate the link again today. Most of these left wing episodes are rabid animal rights activist fire bombing fur coat stores after hours when the stores are closed or setting a bunch of minks free at mink fur farms. The problem of political violence in America is disproportionately right wing and pretending otherwise would be willful ignorance.

Still only only 5 fatalities due to left wing terrorism since the 1980s. It’s actually more remarkable that 15 years ago left leaning terrorism was predominant but they accounts for no fatalities. That means left wingers either suck at violence or they aren’t trying to hurt people but rather to make a point. I’ve looked at the raw data and shared the data here previously, I can’t locate the link again today. Most of these left wing episodes are rabid animal rights activist fire bombing fur coat stores after hours when the stores are closed or setting a bunch of minks free at mink fur farms. The problem of political violence in America is disproportionately right wing and pretending otherwise would be willful ignorance.

Because Republicans are so scared of willful ignorance...

Birdman, look at the chart from the 20 aughts. 60% is left wing and 60% is environmental, which is also likely left leaning. Only a small fraction (20%) is right-wing.

There has been a dramatic shift since 2010 toward right-wing.

My point in citing these charts is not to argue that left-wing is a majority or that left-wing is more than right-wing. Rather, my point is that it is incomplete to argue “Fox News!!11” anytime someone blows something up. There is something else going on in the culture that is the root of this.

Yup. Fox News is more of a symptom of this root evil than the cause. You seem to be willfully blind of this root evil while your party has spent the last 50 years embracing it, at first to win elections and gradually as its core ethos.

There was a decent amount of violent left wing domestic terrorism before the 1980s, but the right has cornered that market ever since.

Back