• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 Wake Spring Football

#1 isn’t totally true. The write ups last August strongly suggested Hartman would have been the starter regardless although it did help Hartman in the end. Pretty sure Newman was available for Tulane.

I'm impressed enough to post this again

Congratulations to all the guys on the team for top 10% APR. Not easy. Worthy of recognition. Way to go. True Student Athletes at WFU.

Agreed. First time ever for the football team. Clawson is building a very impressive program.

#1 isn’t totally true. The write ups last August strongly suggested Hartman would have been the starter regardless although it did help Hartman in the end. Pretty sure Newman was available for Tulane.

Splitting hairs that really don't matter much now, but there's a level to Newman being "available" for Tulane.

He was there and in pads. If Sam had gotten hurt, Newman might have gone in -- but it would've been an extremely limited playbook, I think. Almost positive Tayvon Bowers lea-frogged Newman and played the following week against Towson.

I think the issue w Newman was that he was not a great
Or as focused in practice as he should have been. It took the Hinton suspension plus hartman's focused arrival to light a fire under him.

I think the issue w Newman was that he was not a great
Or as focused in practice as he should have been. It took the Hinton suspension plus hartman's focused arrival to light a fire under him.

Also, there are multiple stages in recovering from injuries. The first is the physical healing process. Next is dealing with any residual pain. IMHO, the hardest is learning to trust the now healed body parts. Trust that they will work properly. Not think about the fact that they were injured.

For some people and some injuries, this last part can be the hardest and take the longest. If the person is thinking about the injury, there may not be the ability to focus on other things.

I'm glad Newman stuck it out, and was ready when we needed him. Let the best man win, come August.

Newman showed me more in 4 games than hartman in did in 9 games.

I expect Hartman's learning curve to be much steeper than Newman. Newman had the benefit of 2 more years in the system. "Injury" aside, it shouldn't have been a close competition. I trust Clawson to start the better player.

Newman showed me more in 4 games than hartman in did in 9 games.

This is kind of a weird take. Or at least a little blind to the events. Hartman started as a true frosh in part because Newman was unavailable and/or limited through the first 4 or 5 weeks of the season. By that point, Hartman was playing awesome against inferior competition, but struggling against really good competition and really big and fast defenses. But he had (has) a real swagger and a confidence that are almost essential in a QB.

Newman, on the other hand, had been in the program for 2+ years and had not particularly distinguished himself other than being a really good teammate. He did not really have that swagger. There is a 10 minute video on Newman's highlights on youtube posted by ACC Digest I think, and honestly, he didn't even swagger until after huge touchdowns. It was only the bowl game in my mind, where he started the game with a swagger. I don't know whether it's because he's a more humble guy, but I think it certainly helps a guy his size to have that swagger. You can almost ignore the linebackers on the rush because they are essentially his size. I remember watching Cam of course, but also Vince Young their senior years and they really didn't care about the rush from almost anyone because they had size and strength on everybody but the interior DLs. Huge advantage.

Anyway, I don't think it is all that fair to Hartman to compare his 9 games to Newman's 4. Hartman should be fine. I hope he gets to redshirt this year but not the end of the world if he can't or doesn't.

I do think the NFL is moving to a backup QB system in that they want QB2 to come in - at least on some teams - as a change of pace QB rather than a veteran stiff whose only real wow throw is the deep corner out. Newman has the potential to be that type of guy who can run a keeper perhaps even in the NFL, but also throw all the short passes. Again, I don't see him as a starter, but as a career backup, but he could come out next year with a greater liklihood to get drafted in the 4th or 5th round than Dortch had. We may need Hartman to be THE guy again next year. If all goes really well this year offensively and Newman stays healthy.

Having two QBs who have been THE GUY and won games is a nice luxury for Clawson to manage. But Newman should have a clear edge based on the results.

I consider the State win last year to be Clawson's biggest upset at Wake, and Newman won it for him.

Having two QBs who have been THE GU Y and won games is a nice luxury for Clawson to manage. But Newman should have a clear edge based on the results.

I agree.
I really like both, but this season let's start with Newman and have Hartman come in when needed.
Newman, after his late season experience, could be something special this year.
Hartman, with a year of experience as well as some added size and strength, should be a better player.
This could/should be a fun season.

This is kind of a weird take. Or at least a little blind to the events. Hartman started as a true frosh in part because Newman was unavailable and/or limited through the first 4 or 5 weeks of the season. By that point, Hartman was playing awesome against inferior competition, but struggling against really good competition and really big and fast defenses. But he had (has) a real swagger and a confidence that are almost essential in a QB.

Newman, on the other hand, had been in the program for 2+ years and had not particularly distinguished himself other than being a really good teammate. He did not really have that swagger. There is a 10 minute video on Newman's highlights on youtube posted by ACC Digest I think, and honestly, he didn't even swagger until after huge touchdowns. It was only the bowl game in my mind, where he started the game with a swagger. I don't know whether it's because he's a more humble guy, but I think it certainly helps a guy his size to have that swagger. You can almost ignore the linebackers on the rush because they are essentially his size. I remember watching Cam of course, but also Vince Young their senior years and they really didn't care about the rush from almost anyone because they had size and strength on everybody but the interior DLs. Huge advantage.

Anyway, I don't think it is all that fair to Hartman to compare his 9 games to Newman's 4. Hartman should be fine. I hope he gets to redshirt this year but not the end of the world if he can't or doesn't.

I do think the NFL is moving to a backup QB system in that they want QB2 to come in - at least on some teams - as a change of pace QB rather than a veteran stiff whose only real wow throw is the deep corner out. Newman has the potential to be that type of guy who can run a keeper perhaps even in the NFL, but also throw all the short passes. Again, I don't see him as a starter, but as a career backup, but he could come out next year with a greater liklihood to get drafted in the 4th or 5th round than Dortch had. We may need Hartman to be THE guy again next year. If all goes really well this year offensively and Newman stays healthy.

You wrote this long ass post for naught. Clawson doesn’t make excuses for his QBs. It’s what can do for the team NOW regardless of experience.
Newman showed more in 4 games than Hartman did in 9, it doesn’t matter if Newman was a Rs-soph and Hartman was a first year freshman or vice versa. You go with the results you have. You don’t look back and make excuses. Results are results and Newman should have the upper hand on the QB battle.

We run our QB a lot. Hartman ran when he shoudnt have. On ability to advance the ball via the run at the QB position, this ain't even a close call. Newman's accuracy would have to go through the floor. I don't see it happening.

Newman led 4th quarter drives to win the game twice in only 4 games. That’s real swagger. 1st and 10 swagger vs Towson and Rice isn’t worth a hill of beans.

I like Hartman and think he will grow into a real nice QB, but Newman has the potential to be something Wake hasn’t had before. At least not in my lifetime.

You wrote this long ass post for naught. Clawson doesn’t make excuses for his QBs. It’s what can do for the team NOW regardless of experience.
Newman showed more in 4 games than Hartman did in 9, it doesn’t matter if Newman was a Rs-soph and Hartman was a first year freshman or vice versa. You go with the results you have. You don’t look back and make excuses. Results are results and Newman should have the upper hand on the QB battle.

Douchie response. Missed the point entirely

Douchie response. Missed the point entirely

Not really. Didn’t think you would get sensitive and defensive, I’m simply just disagreeing with you and reeling it back in.

You are bringing up your own qualitative observations about swagger and where you think the NFL is moving towards. I’m bringing up facts that Newman was better in 4 games than hartmans 9 games and that’s all Clawson really cares about. It’s not unfair to compare Newman’s games last year to Hartman’s. Hartman will be fine but Newman is better, don’t really care who exerts more “swagger.”

We have 2 excellent QBs and we are likely to need both during the season. However, Newman's accomplishments must give him the nod as starter. If Hartman is still eligible for a red shirt season, it would be great if we could salvage an extra season for him and for us.

We have 2 excellent QBs and we are likely to need both during the season. However, Newman's accomplishments must give him the nod as starter. If Hartman is still eligible for a red shirt season, it would be great if we could salvage an extra season for him and for us.

Everything Clawson said for the past 8-9 months indicate that accomplishments have nothing to do with who gets the nod as starter. And he's basically laughed off the notion that they would remove Hartman from consideration so that he could get a redshirt season.

It might seem likely, based on what we saw at the end of the season, that Newman starts. But it has everything to do with talent level and who gives the team the best chance to win, not with winning at State and winning the bowl game.

Everything Clawson said for the past 8-9 months indicate that accomplishments have nothing to do with who gets the nod as starter. And he's basically laughed off the notion that they would remove Hartman from consideration so that he could get a redshirt season.

It might seem likely, based on what we saw at the end of the season, that Newman starts. But it has everything to do with talent level and who gives the team the best chance to win, not with winning at State and winning the bowl game.

Yep. Newman gives the team the best chance to win.

Back