• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 Wake Spring Football

Surprised no one has mentioned recruiting as the biggest issue with the Friday night games. Recruits can't come to our games and our coaches can't go to theirs. Pretty big deal.

Surprised no one has mentioned recruiting as the biggest issue with the Friday night games. Recruits can't come to our games and our coaches can't go to theirs. Pretty big deal.

Les has on Twitter. He also caused a mini-Twitter riot between Wake and a UNC fan.

how much in-person scouting do coaches do the night before a game anyways?

A significant amount. You're not installing anything or watching film the night before a game. If you are, you're so far behind in scouting that you've probably lost the game already. Coaches want to be seen at schools, on the sidelines during games.

A significant amount. You're not installing anything or watching film the night before a game. If you are, you're so far behind in scouting that you've probably lost the game already. Coaches want to be seen at schools, on the sidelines during games.

Its particularly good when you are the visiting coach. You get to schools you might not get to otherwise. Careful scheduling by geography can assist recruiting.

But it could help in that Saturdays are all ours to meet coaches, or if players have film or weight room session the day after. Northern schools play on Saturday afternoons

The coaches could invite HS coaches to go over the Friday night game film on Saturday morning. I’m sure they’ll figure out something.

Wake Forest’s 2019 season could go in so many different directions
https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2019/5/22/18631307/wake-forest-football-2019-preview-schedule-roster

Bill Connelly season preview on SBNation.

Couple thoughts:
-we were not as explosive as I thought
-pass defense isn't going to improve much
-alot of close games this upcoming season

Somebody, or multiple somebodies will need to step up to provide the explosive plays Dortch provided last season
Kendall Hinton is one likely candidate. Who else? Sage Surrat? One or both of the freshman wide receivers?

Scotty Washington should have a big bounce-back year, I'm hoping. Dude has NFL talent, just needs to put it all together like he did at the end of 2017.

would love to be wrong, but don't have high hopes for Scotty

Surrat is no burner; maybe Beal-Smith can be a big play guy

Scotty Washington should have a big bounce-back year, I'm hoping. Dude has NFL talent, just needs to put it all together like he did at the end of 2017.

Much better chance of that happening if he stays healthy in 2019. Bad shoulder made for a tough 2018 season for him.

Hinton and Beal-Smith seem to be the big play guys. Everyone else at the skill positions seem like move the chain guys. Of course Hinton and Beal-Smith haven’t been in the position to make those big time plays at their positions.

I liked the description of Surratt in the SB piece. He disappeared in way too many games.

I’m excited to see what Newman and his arm can do with Scotty and his deep ball leap and catch ability.

Given what we know about this offense and the defense, I would really like to see Clawson slow things down. We will have plenty of 3 and outs. At least take a minute plus off the clock and give our D a breather.

This is the least offseason discussion I remember about football. The QB situation isn’t particularly controversial. Clawson has shown at worst he’s a consistent 6-7 win coach. People seem to be on the same page about this team.

Going into last year, don't think that Bachman was considered a big play guy, but he turned out to be one.

Cade Carney averaged 5+ yards a carry (better than Beal Smith or Colburn) and has busted multiple long runs over his career. Is he not a big play guy because he is white?

Seems like a year when guys are growing, developing and making incremental improvements. QB is a question between two proven good options. Not a "does Wake have a serviceable QB?"

AA dynamic playmaker is gone to NFL. No one looked like a next up in that mold. Lots of solid performers in lots of spots. That doesn't generate a lot of ink.

Once summer practices start, this may change as guys may start to shine more.

Cade Carney averaged 5+ yards a carry (better than Beal Smith or Colburn) and has busted multiple long runs over his career. Is he not a big play guy because he is white?

I don't know but CBS hasn't made any plays much less big plays.

Liked what I saw from A.T. Perry. He has potential to be a good one.

Last edited:
With Surrat, he was a physically-limited but savvy player.

He had a hard time against physical DBs, couldn't get much separation.

46% of his catches came in two gams (Tulane and State)

Going into last year, don't think that Bachman was considered a big play guy, but he turned out to be one.

Those big runs get lost in the many 2-10 yard runs he makes every game. Many don't "look pretty" but when the pile is unstacked and the ball is spotted, 7 or 8 yards brings a smile to a play callers face. He rarely is tackled for losses. Very useful and important, but not spectacular or headline grabbing.

A running back may get 20 carries in a game and break two runs of 20+ yards (10%). A receiver may have five catches on 8 targets and break one for 20+ yards (20% of catches). The receiver will appear to be more explosive, but really which one is?

Would be nice to start the season with a quality win vs. Utah State; opens up a lot of possibilities for the rest of the slate.

Back