• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 Wake Spring Football

With Surrat, he was a physically-limited but savvy player.

He had a hard time against physical DBs, couldn't get much separation.

46% of his catches came in two gams (Tulane and State)

I have a hard time accepting that a player who could have received a Div1 basketball scholly if he had focused on hoops can be considered physically limited. Maybe I am reading too much into the phrase. Technically, CP3 is physically limited as he is not particularly fast or have great hops and he doesn't have size, but he is elite in the control of his physicality. How else can one explain his HOF career?

So Surratt has something, certainly something I like a lot. And I am not exactly sure what it is. He caught a lot of balls in traffic. Does he have elite hands then? He's got good not great size. I think we forget that he was only a frosh last year. He will surely get stronger and more physical as he ages.

Would be nice to start the season with a quality win vs. Utah State; opens up a lot of possibilities for the rest of the slate.

Thought it interesting that we are underdogs according to S&P vs. USU

I have a hard time accepting that a player who could have received a Div1 basketball scholly if he had focused on hoops can be considered physically limited. Maybe I am reading too much into the phrase. Technically, CP3 is physically limited as he is not particularly fast or have great hops and he doesn't have size, but he is elite in the control of his physicality. How else can one explain his HOF career?

So Surratt has something, certainly something I like a lot. And I am not exactly sure what it is. He caught a lot of balls in traffic. Does he have elite hands then? He's got good not great size. I think we forget that he was only a frosh last year. He will surely get stronger and more physical as he ages.

Chris Paul in his prime (and at Wake) had elite speed. See the buzzer beater against State for reference. He also dunked on Dwight Howard.

I can think of plenty of D-1 basketball wing player who would struggle to be physical enough to be a D-1 WR. I'm sure Surratt is working on his physical play both in the weight room and on the field and should be improved next season.

I'm worried about the interior OL-DL we lost. Our runners and passers will suffer if our opponents are in the backfield a second after the snap. Our young LBs will be put on their backs if no one slows down the other teams guards. Replacing those linemen will determine our season.

I'm worried about the interior OL-DL we lost. Our runners and passers will suffer if our opponents are in the backfield a second after the snap. Our young LBs will be put on their backs if no one slows down the other teams guards. Replacing those linemen will determine our season.

Losing Miles Fox (grad transfer in) for the year this spring didn't help the interior D-line depth.

Hinton and Beal-Smith seem to be the big play guys. Everyone else at the skill positions seem like move the chain guys. Of course Hinton and Beal-Smith haven’t been in the position to make those big time plays at their positions.

I liked the description of Surratt in the SB piece. He disappeared in way too many games.

I’m excited to see what Newman and his arm can do with Scotty and his deep ball leap and catch ability.

Given what we know about this offense and the defense, I would really like to see Clawson slow things down. We will have plenty of 3 and outs. At least take a minute plus off the clock and give our D a breather.

This is the least offseason discussion I remember about football. The QB situation isn’t particularly controversial. Clawson has shown at worst he’s a consistent 6-7 win coach. People seem to be on the same page about this team.

The QB situation was not controversial last year either, right? Hinton wasn't suspended until summer. I might be misremembering. As you are indicating, just one potential conversation among a now more solidified program.

OL should be fine, barring injury. Gilliam will kick inside. Tom played a lot of snaps last year and looked good at C. So we're really just replacing one guard. I'm confident an open competition between Nash, Nya, Maginn, Watson, Suhren, et al can net us a starter at guard. The bigger issue will be developing the backups so we can handle injuries this year and be positioned for next season. We need to replace Herron, Gilliam, and Benzinger next offseason.

The DL is a much bigger question with only 3 proven guys. Williams and Kamara should start, with Bergan as main rotation. Fox was a big loss. A couple guys are transitioning from end to tackle, and we need them to step up. Maybe we can kick Mike Allen inside to get him on the field with Boogie. He's got the size.

The QB situation was not controversial last year either, right? Hinton wasn't suspended until summer. I might be misremembering. As you are indicating, just one potential conversation among a now more solidified program.

Some of the discussion topics: Hinton wasn't suspended, true. But he was coming off a significant knee injury. So discussion about that. Replacement for Cam Serigne. DB's, linebacker, and. To a lesser extent, D-line ("who's gonna be Boogie behind Boogie" the way Boogie was behind Duke E.) Dortch's health, coming off the injury.

Some of the discussion topics: Hinton wasn't suspended, true. But he was coming off a significant knee injury. So discussion about that. Replacement for Cam Serigne. DB's, linebacker, and. To a lesser extent, D-line ("who's gonna be Boogie behind Boogie" the way Boogie was behind Duke E.) Dortch's health, coming off the injury.

We seem to have a lot less critical issues this year compared to last. This is a good thing.
Also, our coaching staff appears stable and functioning well. Also a good thing.
Most fans and posters here seem more content and comfortable than years past, at least for now. Another good thing.

Whocares, you have a good point about Gilliam moving inside. That guy is a beast! As for the DL, we'll see more sub-packages. The NY Giants famous "NASCAR" look, (DEs across the front) would fit our personnel. Also, having a DE with a big frame, put on 20 lbs of fat in weeks instead of muscle in months, could help out too. We're asking them to be knife fighters in a phone booth, not gazelles chasing scatbacks in open space. Leave that to our unblocked LBs.

I can think of plenty of D-1 basketball wing player who would struggle to be physical enough to be a D-1 WR. I'm sure Surratt is working on his physical play both in the weight room and on the field and should be improved next season.

What's to discuss ? Newman should be starting QB, the D sucks, and the offense needs to score about 33 per game so we can get our six wins and some of you people can go stand in the cold on the Monday before Christmas at noon. And Clemson will beat us by 55.

What's to discuss ? Newman should be starting QB, the D sucks, and the offense needs to score about 33 per game so we can get our six wins and some of you people can go stand in the cold on the Monday before Christmas at noon. And Clemson will beat us by 55.

I'm good with this as long as we beat UNC, State, and lay another 60 on Duke. In fact I'd be better than good with it.

The off-season football discussions will perk up as the pre-season predictions start to trickle in.

The Sports Books have posted college football win totals for several teams, BUT NOT WF.

Here are the current regular season win totals for ACC teams:

Clemson 11 (Bama is the only other team with a win total as high as 11)
Miami 8.5
FSU 7.5

Notre Dame 9.5

BTW, while not WF related, these are among the games on Texas A&M's schedule this year:

@ Clemson
Auburn
Alabama
@ UGA
@ LSU

Yikes. Good thing Jimbo has a long-term deal (their win total is 7.5).

What do you think the win total for Wake will be? I’m guessing 6.5.

What do you think the win total for Wake will be? I’m guessing 6.5.

Will be in that ballpark. WF is not public team; so, it's not like the books will be worried about WF nation lining up on the over. My guess is 6, but wouldn't be surprised to see a 5.5.

As things currently stand, WF will be dogs at Clemson, at VT, at BC and at Cuse. WF will be big favorites against Elon, and at Rice, and a modest favorite against L'ville (although if Satterfield turns the Cards around quickly, the outlook on that game could change quickly).

Then, WF plays several games in the toss up category (State, FSU, Duke, Utah State, UNC). If I can get 5.5, I will take WF. Anything higher than doesn't have a lot of value mostly because of the unknowns about the opponents.

We were 6.5 last year, I doubt we'd be down to 5.5 this with the experience we now have at QB.

Plus the division is probably worse with the lost talent at QB and teams like BC losing a lot, not to mention Louisville and FSU being regarded less favorably than they were before last season

Last edited:
Back