• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 Wake Spring Football

Clawson tells it like it is and doesn't care what you think of him. He is dedicated to winning football games which coincides with his bullish attitude. He's everything that our soft Athletic Department isn't. He's the lone bright spot in a pit of darkness within Wake athletics (no I'm not including the successes of tennis and soccer because the masses don't give a shit. Having said that, I watch every soccer game in its entirety when televised on watchespn). We are beyond fortunate to have Clawson.

Masterson lacks speed.

Does he? What is his 40 time? 3 cone? Shuttle? (serious questions)

Was he late getting where he needed to be last year? Obviously. Was it because he is physically too slow or was it because he didn't make the right read soon enough? My bet is that with a full year of playing time under his belt, he will magically become faster.

Then again, maybe he runs a 4.9 40 or something and still got a P5 scholarship.

Regarding Masterson I have a hunch that the coaching staff is more concerned about their safeties getting beat long than we are...just a hunch. Therefore, I conclude if they choose him as a starter they must think he is the best guy for all the responsibilities associated with that position, including not getting beat over the top.

Yesterday, Clawson was commenting about how there were representatives of 31 of the 32 teams, and said that it was so different now than 4 or 5 years ago when only 7 or 8 teams were represented. This comment rubbed me the wrong way, 5 years ago Camp was drafted and 4 years ago KJ was drafted in the first round. So are you telling me only 7 or 8 teams showed up to scout a first round corner? This year we are expecting two players to be drafted and neither in the first couple rounds.

I understand Clawson is trying to sell the momentum angle and building the program and so on, but its not like Wake hasn't had players drafted highly before. Under Clawson we average 1 player drafted a year (two last year and none in '16), so it is not like he is turning Wake into an NFL development team by any means.

There is a good change the comment was just hyperbole, and I am making something out of nothing.

I think you're making a big deal our of nothing. It's not disparaging, but it is showing the growth and development. I definitely think we are producing more NFL-caliber players and that is just now beginning to show. But also, it's comments like this from Clawson, along with alumni player performance and facilities investment, which is driving this increase in attendance. Clawson's off-the-cuff numbers do seem a bit off, but there has definitely been an positive trend:

2014 - 22 pro scouts. Campanaro was a notable draw, and many negative comments about conditions
2015 - 21 teams. K. Johnson was the notable draw.
2016 - 15 teams. Kinal and Chubb were best draws, but this was also the first year in the new practice facility
2017 - 20 teams. Marquel Lee was best draw.

Then, per Clawson we had 32 and 31 teams in 2018 and 2019. And, we had that without any obvious 1st rounders in those classes.

Pretty sure KJ was in the combine so teams saw him there.

Clawson tells it like it is and doesn't care what you think of him. He is dedicated to winning football games which coincides with his bullish attitude. He's everything that our soft Athletic Department isn't. He's the lone bright spot in a pit of darkness within Wake athletics (no I'm not including the successes of tennis and soccer because the masses don't give a shit. Having said that, I watch every soccer game in its entirety when televised on watchespn). We are beyond fortunate to have Clawson.

And we're all but inviting him to leave with his ridiculously low pay.

Definitely excited to see how Newman and the WR group look this year. Could see Hinton having a big impact with the opportunity to focus exclusively on that role.

Sounds like Arkeem Byrd is done with football at Wake due to his last knee injury.

Sounds like Arkeem Byrd is done with football at Wake due to his last knee injury.

Did he have another one - or still not able to recover from the ACL tear he sustained last spring/summer? Either way, bummer.

If he can still run in a straight line with nobody hitting him, track team could sure use him.

Took me a while to find out what the instagram beef was about between Wake and WSSU. Wish I could say I am surprised.

Quick recap for those who were as clueless as I - someone from Wake pretending to be running for student body something wrote something to the effect of - build a wall between WSSU and Wake and make WSSU pay for it as part of his "campaign" and then the expected back and forth happened. Apparently, Elontae Bateman waded in smartly and essentially said, yo - this is a fake account - yes, there is racism everywhere and that includes Wake, but coming from a 90% black community he had his own misconceptions about a white student body that has mostly proven to be just that - misconceptions. Not letting Wake off the hook for being sometimes tone deaf but WSSU jumped to a lot of conclusions thinking this was a real campaign misfire.

I think you're making a big deal our of nothing. It's not disparaging, but it is showing the growth and development. I definitely think we are producing more NFL-caliber players and that is just now beginning to show. But also, it's comments like this from Clawson, along with alumni player performance and facilities investment, which is driving this increase in attendance. Clawson's off-the-cuff numbers do seem a bit off, but there has definitely been an positive trend:

2014 - 22 pro scouts. Campanaro was a notable draw, and many negative comments about conditions
2015 - 21 teams. K. Johnson was the notable draw.
2016 - 15 teams. Kinal and Chubb were best draws, but this was also the first year in the new practice facility
2017 - 20 teams. Marquel Lee was best draw.

Then, per Clawson we had 32 and 31 teams in 2018 and 2019. And, we had that without any obvious 1st rounders in those classes.

That first link reports that Josh Harris tweeted that he ran a 4.26 40 in the freezing rain and adds, “Color us skeptical.”

Back