• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 Wake Spring Football

TCU has cancelled their spring game due to injuries and depth problems, as per ESPN.

I can't imagine it's a money making venture to run a Wake site for profit right now. It's always been a hard sell, Wellman has made it damn near impossible. I bet the news that Manning was being retained went over really well in Les' household.

Yeah I mean personally I know there isn’t a long line of people lining up to run BSD that would fit the billing for the college editors at SBNation. While these sites are slightly different (reporting v. blogging - more focus on recruiting and objective reporting for rivals and 24/7), id also imagine that rivals flat out cant find anyone who wants the gig that would put out a remotely quality product.

Aaron Curry and Riley Skinner are going to be the guest coaches for the spring game.

These aren't the days of Jim Grobe's open practices. Les had an interview from the 12th practice. Clawson talked a lot, but said little. the only thing that didn't need decoding was the injury report. DeaconIllustrated reported on the scrimmage. Since its behind a pay wall, I'll just say that Clawson is encourage by the youngsters and look for big things from Boogie. There should be more coming with the Spring Game on Saturday.

Didn't realize I was a topic of conversation today.

Once upon a time, I was at Deacons Illustrated. More than two years ago, I left to form Demon Deacon Digest, which is at 247Sports. Conor is correct that the current guy at Deacons Illustrated (though a nice guy) primarily covers Georgia Tech and lives in the Atlanta area. He's only covered a handful of things first hand since he's taken over the site, and he's certainly not been at any practices.

For every practice so far, I've had an absolutely free Q&A with Clawson (not a single Clawson interview has been behind a paywall) as well as a VIP (behind a paywall) virtual play by play of practice. I hope all the readers and subscribers have enjoyed. I'm tremendously lucky that Clawson allows us the access to see all the practices in camp and talk to virtually any players or coaches that we want.

Thanks for the kind words Conor, Wakeforest22890 and DeacsOrDie. Also, RacerDeac is pretty astute.

Last edited:
Is JJMMGG thinking of DeacMan and his echo chamber? What ever happened to that?

Thanks Les. I updated my old account. I have some catching up to o.

Didn't realize I was a topic of conversation today.

Once upon a time, I was at Deacons Illustrated. More than two years ago, I left to form Demon Deacon Digest, which is at 247Sports. Conor is correct that the current guy at Deacons Illustrated (though a nice guy) primarily covers Georgia Tech and lives in the Atlanta area. He's only covered a handful of things first hand since he's taken over the site, and he's certainly not been at any practices.

For every practice so far, I've had an absolutely free Q&A with Clawson (not a single Clawson interview has been behind a paywall) as well as a VIP (behind a paywall) virtual play by play of practice. I hope all the readers and subscribers have enjoyed. I'm tremendously lucky that Clawson allows us the access to see all the practices in camp and talk to virtually any players or coaches that we want.

Thanks for the kind words Conor, Wakeforest22890 and DeacsOrDie. Also, RacerDeac is pretty astute.

Jared Shelton was the guy back then I believe and did a good job.

It's wet in Winston today, but the weather for tomorrow looks perfect. Mid 70s and sunny. Should be great for the spring game.

I say this as a pretty big sports fan - anyone watching a spring football game on tv really needs to get a hobby

LOL, you better not have watched a minute of AAF with that kind of attitude.

My Dad comes to a couple games a year but could name no more than 2 guys. We are watching slow paced warm ups and he lets out a “Woah” who is WR #24? “He looks more fluid and athletic than everyone out there. What year is he?” (Checks notes), “Hey Dad, that is Donovan Greene, he should be a SR in HS right now.”
Have to agree with my Dad (Lectro-Lite?).

...and the Defensive #24 beat for 40 yards on 3rd play.
Yes, you all know who that is.

My Dad comes to a couple games a year but could name no more than 2 guys. We are watching slow paced warm ups and he lets out a “Woah” who is WR #24? “He looks more fluid and athletic than everyone out there. What year is he?” (Checks notes), “Hey Dad, that is Donovan Greene, he should be a SR in HS right now.”
Have to agree with my Dad (Lectro-Lite?).

5 Star Athlete for sure 5 Star potential — 6’2.5 - 190 / 4.4 / 41” vertical and really just getting started..

2 NC WR’s come to mind when looking at Donovan — Koren Robinson, tiny school in Belmont, largely overlooked, 41st Rated player in NC would eventually become the 9th player taken in 2001 Draft. Also, Torry Holt who came out of Gibsonville as the 25th ranked player in NC by the News and Observer and Sammy Batten in Fayettteville has him in about the same spot. He was the 6th player taken in the 1999 draft.

N.C. Produces a guy like this every decade or so - just so happened to have 2 come on the heels of the other..

Donny is a lot like Koren the athlete..and he has the ‘between the ears’ drive of Holt.

Looks like Les is the only person giving updates. Newman seems to be playing well. 72 yard TD pass to AT Perry. D is having problems.

A.T. Perry is really, really nice. Hands, speed, size and ups

...and the Defensive #24 beat for 40 yards on 3rd play.
Yes, you all know who that is.

To be fair..he and Sage have been going at it all camp and JaSir has won as many as he’s lost.

He is a helluva hound DB and he is only going to get better.

Back