• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 Wake Spring Football

Immediate thoughts as game ended:
1) No injuries!! No stoppage of play for anyone and no one noticeably limping off.
2) OL dominated the first half. Classic is that great news or bad DL news?
3) Only threw deep a couple times, nearly successful every time. Both may be because of shortage at safety.
4) Super athletic looking team on both sides.
5) Hinton at PR and Surratt at WR really could make up for all Dortch production.
6) Groulx runs exceptional routes. Weight room needed.
7) Donovan Green looks athletic, Monroe healthy, McCollum quick burst
8) D came out fired up 2nd half, also noticed some depth OL in. They have a ways to go.
9) Kicking game is in great shape (only ? Is kickoff, only 2 today)
10) Newman v Hartman: Would give this round to Newman. Battle this fall

Bonus: Clawson has total control of this program and amazing to see how efficient the operation runs.

Did Newman and Hartman alternate possessions? Les barely mentioned Hartman.

Yes, even split I believe. Think Delaney and Beal-Smith both had some big runs when Hartman was in.
Both those RB, looked competent. See my O-Line comments above. When O-Line was good they were good. When not, they did nothing.

Last edited:
Hopefully the Dline will round into shape. We lost 2 good ones in the middle, Yarberry and Rodney. How did Mike Allen look today?

I was at the game and lots of players were sitting out:
Scotty Washington
Miles Fox (out for season)
Jake Simpson
Coby Davis
Isaiah Isaac
Justin Strnad
Tyriq Hardimon
Zion Keith
Jeff Burley
Nasir Greer
Peyton Woulard (out for season)
DJ Taylor (out for season)
Cade Carney
Loic Nya
DeVonte Gordon
Justin Herron
Mike Edwards
Arkeem Byrd (medically disqualified)

Hopefully the Dline will round into shape. We lost 2 good ones in the middle, Yarberry and Rodney. How did Mike Allen look today?

Mike Allen was once again one of the first players to be noticed. He is so athletically gifted. He did alright, had a couple plays where he bullied a back up O lineman. Noticed Clawson mentioned many D lineman after the game but not Allen.

I was at the game and lots of players were sitting out:
Scotty Washington
Miles Fox (out for season)
Jake Simpson
Coby Davis
Isaiah Isaac
Justin Strnad
Tyriq Hardimon
Zion Keith
Jeff Burley
Nasir Greer
Peyton Woulard (out for season)
DJ Taylor (out for season)
Cade Carney
Loic Nya
DeVonte Gordon
Justin Herron
Mike Edwards
Arkeem Byrd (medically disqualified)

That is sobering.

After today I don't think we will have to worry about rb's with Colburn gone. Wr is obviously a team strength and depth. OL is good. I'd worry about d and our depth. A year of shoot outs looks in store.

A.T. Perry made some nice catches. Chase Monroe looked good at LB. No doubt that Shamar McCollum is a force at DE.

Heard we won.

Worried about the D, not so much in talent, but in depth.

Think we are in good shape at WR for a long time.

Understand the concern on D — but still consider getting Nasir Greer, Coby Davis, Jeff Burley, Tyriq Hardimon, Justin Strnad, Manny Walker, and Jake Simpson will make a difference.

It is Spring. Time to see some “flashing” from Jacorey Johns, Chase Monroe, Kenneth Dicks III, Rondell Bothroyd and Shamar M.

“I think in the six years here, this will be the most competitive the offense and defense is with each other,” Clawson said. “I think we had three years that the defense was significantly ahead, probably the last two years the offense was significantly ahead. I think next year’s team has a chance to have the smallest gap between the two units.”

Just keep everyone healthy and this team will be fine. Enough talent on both sides if the injuries don't keep plaguing the team. Need a year where the top guys can play the whole season.

JaSir and Sage are two of the most talented and competitive guys we have. JaSir came right in and played and did not get the benefit of a year to get acclimated. He has taken some grief for getting out of position but he continues to improve and play within the scheme. I expect a strong season from him. He had 2 TFL’s yesterday and is an aggressive DB with 10.6 100M speed. He has the tool set.

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — Sage Surratt and Ja’Sir Taylor fought for position, then fought for the ball on a pass down the right sideline from quarterback Jamie Newman.

A yellow flag flew in as Surratt hauled in the grab under high duress from Taylor. Taylor thought for sure Surratt was being called for offensive pass interference, while Surratt was confident it was Taylor being penalized.

In the end, Surratt was right. The penalty was declined and the 34-yard catch stood, much to Taylor’s chagrin.

It wasn’t the first time Surratt, a redshirt sophomore wide receiver, and Taylor, a junior cornerback, have fiercely battled and it certainly won’t be the last.

But it is indicative of the competitive balance Wake Forest coach Dave Clawson thinks he has with the 2019 Football Demon Deacons.“

Did Newman and Hartman alternate possessions? Les barely mentioned Hartman.

Sorry, PH. Krokow pretty much nailed it. The QB reps were evenly split, as they have been all camp. It kind of just happened that a lot of big runs took place during some of the Hartman reps. Statistically, Newman destroyed him Saturday, but those numbers were largely just the opposite in the first scrimmage. Long way to go until Aug. 30.

JaSir and Sage are two of the most talented and competitive guys we have. JaSir came right in and played and did not get the benefit of a year to get acclimated. He has taken some grief for getting out of position but he continues to improve and play within the scheme. I expect a strong season from him. He had 2 TFL’s yesterday and is an aggressive DB with 10.6 100M speed. He has the tool set.

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — Sage Surratt and Ja’Sir Taylor fought for position, then fought for the ball on a pass down the right sideline from quarterback Jamie Newman.

A yellow flag flew in as Surratt hauled in the grab under high duress from Taylor. Taylor thought for sure Surratt was being called for offensive pass interference, while Surratt was confident it was Taylor being penalized.

In the end, Surratt was right. The penalty was declined and the 34-yard catch stood, much to Taylor’s chagrin.

It wasn’t the first time Surratt, a redshirt sophomore wide receiver, and Taylor, a junior cornerback, have fiercely battled and it certainly won’t be the last.

But it is indicative of the competitive balance Wake Forest coach Dave Clawson thinks he has with the 2019 Football Demon Deacons.“

Thanks, Lecto. Here's the link for the piece this is from. https://247sports.com/college/wake-...-Wake-Forest-Football-Spring-Game--130945303/

Off to enjoy the rest of my wedding anniversary, folks. Have a great Sunday!

Back