• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 Wake Spring Football

And I also agree completely with Lecto on Ja'Sir Taylor. Clawson has raved about him all spring, and I was pretty pumped to talk with him after the game yesterday and come to the realization that he's a GREAT interview. Lot of fun to chat with!

I’m pretty sure Manning is the only coach who would find a way to lose a Wake v. Wake intrasquad.

Let me preface this with I loathe talking negatively about any Wake players, but I did not see any progress in Ja’Sir’s coverage game yesterday. The 3rd play of the scrimmage he was beat on a simple route down the sideline for 40 yards. Later was the Surratt play. If Newman/Hartman face that kind of CB play in the ACC, Les is going to be flying to New York to cover Heisman festivities. Was Newman’s easiest throw of the day.

In pass coverage he is still out of position more times than not in zone. Also got beat 1-1 at least twice. Killed us last year and I did not see anything in coverage that seemed to improve yesterday. Now, he did look great in run help and by Clawson, Les, Connor’s reports, he might be one of our best humans we have and he dominates at practice. I would like to know what the breakdown is on Saturday because from the stands it is a huge drop off from what is said about him after practices. Frankly, was hoping he would be much improved this year but after yesterday, I hope Alston/Dicks/? beats him out this year for that 3rd CB spot.

Would like to make the spring game trip sometime; for those who were there:
How was the crowd? Any tailgating?
Wellman, Currie sightings?
Were the clothing, food and beer concessions open?

Masterson and Taylor were the weak links last year. They have not proven to this pint that they are high ACC caliber players that it takes to win. Masterson at LB seems better. Perhaps Taylor can get better but Masterson does not have the speed for safety.

Lots of tailgating; food and beer for sale; clothing available; 3500 in attendance. With the great weather, it was a fantastic day.

Let me preface this with I loathe talking negatively about any Wake players, but I did not see any progress in Ja’Sir’s coverage game yesterday. The 3rd play of the scrimmage he was beat on a simple route down the sideline for 40 yards. Later was the Surratt play. If Newman/Hartman face that kind of CB play in the ACC, Les is going to be flying to New York to cover Heisman festivities. Was Newman’s easiest throw of the day.

In pass coverage he is still out of position more times than not in zone. Also got beat 1-1 at least twice. Killed us last year and I did not see anything in coverage that seemed to improve yesterday. Now, he did look great in run help and by Clawson, Les, Connor’s reports, he might be one of our best humans we have and he dominates at practice. I would like to know what the breakdown is on Saturday because from the stands it is a huge drop off from what is said about him after practices. Frankly, was hoping he would be much improved this year but after yesterday, I hope Alston/Dicks/? beats him out this year for that 3rd CB spot.

I will say this, Kruk.. you didn’t wave for a fair catch on this one. :)

For certain, your comments are ultimately,imo, to be seen as “constructive criticisms”..my thinking on this, and this as a limited athlete, is that he is clearly thinking of “possibilities” as opposed to sticking out the scheme. For some reason I believe he will outgrow this tendency and learn to “lock down” on his own assignment..letting the rest of the game flow to him. But he is still young and testing the range of his position as if he had to reinvent it.

Ja’Sir is what I call a corner-hound in that he has some linebacker in him.. he pursues and breaks down in open field and is a guy who can blitz in certain packages - a guy who hovers in a dime, then suddenly bears down on the line of scrimmage, becoming a blitzing rover ala Caron Bracy.

I’m not sure of his upside - clearly he doesn’t lack athletic prowess and he is still kind of a convert from WR (Temple offer). I’m betting the competition between he a Surratt will reap rewards on both sides of the ball..

All in all..he has a ways to go, yes. But yet he still shows all the signs of being able to get to ‘there’.

Taylor was horrible last year and looks slightly improved. Sage's height won that battle as Taylor is what 5'9. Dicks III got beat very badly on a long td. If we can keep the d healthy we may be ok but I expect shoot outs this year and a more balanced team next. WR will be a strength for a long time rb's look good. Kicking game looks solid. Kendal won't be Dortch returning kicks but he'll be ok. Was told some we're trying to get Boogie to leave early but he won't. Groulx is a little ole fella I'm thinking Camp 2.0

Are we sure Groulx is a Camp 2.0 or more of a Danny Amendola due to his versatility and gym-rat work ethic?

Taylor was horrible last year and looks slightly improved. Sage's height won that battle as Taylor is what 5'9. Dicks III got beat very badly on a long td. If we can keep the d healthy we may be ok but I expect shoot outs this year and a more balanced team next. WR will be a strength for a long time rb's look good. Kicking game looks solid. Kendal won't be Dortch returning kicks but he'll be ok. Was told some we're trying to get Boogie to leave early but he won't. Groulx is a little ole fella I'm thinking Camp 2.0

Why would Wake want Boogie to go early? Fifth year guys are good to have, particularly on both lines.

Let's hope that Groulx is Camp2.0 in pass catching, not with injuries.

Why would Wake want Boogie to go early? Fifth year guys are good to have, particularly on both lines.

Let's hope that Groulx is Camp2.0 in pass catching, not with injuries.

Also Boogie is really good.

I think jamesda had an unfortunate typo and meant were instead of we’re

This spring game had a different feel than any I'd been to before. The crowd was good, people tailgating a few hours before the game, and the overall people generally interested and excited for the coming football season.

This spring game had a different feel than any I'd been to before. The crowd was good, people tailgating a few hours before the game, and the overall people generally interested and excited for the coming football season.

+1

We're a football school, now.

Immediate thoughts as game ended:
1) No injuries!! No stoppage of play for anyone and no one noticeably limping off.
2) OL dominated the first half. Classic is that great news or bad DL news?
3) Only threw deep a couple times, nearly successful every time. Both may be because of shortage at safety.
4) Super athletic looking team on both sides.
5) Hinton at PR and Surratt at WR really could make up for all Dortch production.
6) Groulx runs exceptional routes. Weight room needed.
7) Donovan Green looks athletic, Monroe healthy, McCollum quick burst
8) D came out fired up 2nd half, also noticed some depth OL in. They have a ways to go.
9) Kicking game is in great shape (only ? Is kickoff, only 2 today)
10) Newman v Hartman: Would give this round to Newman. Battle this fall

Bonus: Clawson has total control of this program and amazing to see how efficient the operation runs.

#4 stands out to me as well. WF has speed and size now..not much different than you find at NC State.

* a note about the DL..we have taken some licks and lost the guy who was slated to fill in for Elontae..but this will be a more versatile bunch with Boogie eventually getting more free reign — think Bradley Chubb’s role down the road. As Mike Allen emerges - either man can be inside or out - and working side by side. The motor Royce Francis provides depth. On the inside it is time for RS JR Sulaiman to fully emerge and he has two young power plugs in Bergan and Williams — both of whom can line up at either position inside - with Willams able to come off the edge. A wild card is the impressive young DT Rondy Bothroyd. I am really intrigued to see what type player he becomes..has really grown and filled out since high school days. Is he a 300 pounder by Fall? Big engine - he and Will Smart and Royce are motor guys.

Back