• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 Wake Spring Football

deacondamo

El Jefe
Reaction score

Last edited:
Taylor out for the season! Why?

Not good news. He was impressive for a young player.

Shamar McCollum weighs in at 220 lbs, up 20 lbs from NSD. That young man is going to be a beast.

Bad omen on injuries. Hope that’s it.

An Shamar gain another 20-30 lbs by September?

Crap, Taylor played a lot last season. Not a good start health-wise. ACL?

Just watched Clawson's press conference and I'm pretty excited about football. Most positions seem deeper than they have ever been. Seems like recently some of the positions were 1 stud with nobody behind them, but hopefully we will have some quality depth now.

Btw, Masterson is a 6'2" 220lb safety? If he doesn't ruin some WR's life goals this year when they come across the middle, then I will be disappointed.

Just watched Clawson's press conference and I'm pretty excited about football. Most positions seem deeper than they have ever been. Seems like recently some of the positions were 1 stud with nobody behind them, but hopefully we will have some quality depth now.

Btw, Masterson is a 6'2" 220lb safety? If he doesn't ruin some WR's life goals this year when they come across the middle, then I will be disappointed.

He doesn't seem to mind contact, so I would expect him to lay the hammer when he can.

The quality depth (or lack thereof) has been an issue at Wake for decades. Wake could hang for a half or three quarters, then the wheels would come off late in the game as the starters tired and the backups just weren't ready for prime time. That is one aspect of Wake football that has to improve for Wake to make the next big step.

Clawson mentioned Masterson's flexibility will be put to get use this year as a Safety and a LB.

Clawson appears to be impressed with Redd as a Rover and Safety type.

He was also totally prepared for the Hartman red shirt question, so yes he has considered it. He considers all options.

Clawson mentioned Masterson's flexibility will be put to get use this year as a Safety and a LB.

Clawson appears to be impressed with Redd as a Rover and Safety type.

He was also totally prepared for the Hartman red shirt question, so yes he has considered it. He considers all options.

Will admit I asked that with pretty much this board and Twitter folks in mind, since I know how much it's been discussed that Hartman should redshirt this season.

Will admit I asked that with pretty much this board and Twitter folks in mind, since I know how much it's been discussed that Hartman should redshirt this season.

Haha, yep I figured.

According to some people on here who do not think he has even considered the idea of redshirting Hartman, you could totally tell he expected it and had already thought about the scenario. Pretty sure he didn't even let you finish the question cause he knew what you were hinting at.

He’s tough and played well at LB, but he missed so many open field tackles and got beat deep so many times. Not enough speed for safety.

He’s tough and played well at LB, but he missed so many open field tackles and got beat deep so many times. Not enough speed for safety.

Agreed. Not a good safety. Too slow. However, he played hard at LB when we needed him and he stuck his nose in there and made some plays. The extra weight will serve him well, but not at safety. He might be a nice Rover/LB.

I see this mentioned a lot. I think early in the year he was late getting to the play/out of position/filled the wrong gap, but I would say that has as much if not more to do with decision making, lack of experience or a combination of the two due to playing multiple positions. I'm not sure there is a lot of evidence of him being physically too slow. It seems like he got "faster" as the year went along.

That is the problem with Masterson.

Yesterday, Clawson was commenting about how there were representatives of 31 of the 32 teams, and said that it was so different now than 4 or 5 years ago when only 7 or 8 teams were represented. This comment rubbed me the wrong way, 5 years ago Camp was drafted and 4 years ago KJ was drafted in the first round. So are you telling me only 7 or 8 teams showed up to scout a first round corner? This year we are expecting two players to be drafted and neither in the first couple rounds.

I understand Clawson is trying to sell the momentum angle and building the program and so on, but its not like Wake hasn't had players drafted highly before. Under Clawson we average 1 player drafted a year (two last year and none in '16), so it is not like he is turning Wake into an NFL development team by any means.

There is a good change the comment was just hyperbole, and I am making something out of nothing.

Masterson lacks speed.

Back