• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mid Major MBB Coaching Options

What mid major coaches do you prefer

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In general, I favor mid major coaches who have coached a Top 25 team (who doesn't?). Willing to step back to Top 50ish to open it up a bit more. Priority to a coach who has built the team to that level with his "own" players over someone who just managed/coached existing talent to that level.

I'm sure that narrows my potential list substantially. Attempted to choose the ones from above that I know have met that standard, but may have missed someone.

I'd put that kind of coach on Tier 2 behind a proven P6 candidate like Matta, or Barnes when we went to UT.

The rest of the "lots of wins but never competitive for an at-large bid" guys I would slot into Tier 3 and be disappointed.

Generally agree here.

Guys like Brannen and TJ Otz haven't quite done that (although close), but make up for that a bit due to their impressive assistant coaching experience (both known as elite recruiters), so I'm okay with them in the second (or third, depending on your definitoin) tier, but a step below guys like Oats and Rhoades.

I'm cool with Rhoades, but it is a lot easier to get a team in the Top 50 at a VCU or Utah State than South Dakota State or Northern Kentucky.

Not impossible though as Oats is showing -- Buffalo is probably a step up from both those jobs but not a huge one, Summit and Horizon are both decent conferences

Brannen being an elite recruiter is new info for me.

Is he really known as an elite recruiter? Who has he specifically recruited?

Generally agree here.

Guys like Brannen and TJ Otz haven't quite done that (although close), but make up for that a bit due to their impressive assistant coaching experience (both known as elite recruiters), so I'm okay with them in the second (or third, depending on your definitoin) tier, but a step below guys like Oats and Rhoades.

Yeah, that's the next level of analysis that I would want to look at if I were in charge of making the decision. Experience as an assistant at a successful mid-major (top 30ish), or preferably a successful P6, would move some Tier 3's up into Tier 2. Recruiting to a top ranked team and knowing what it takes to build one would help make up for not having actually done it at as a head coach, while still showing that as a head coach you can build a winning team into the Top 100 range. Not sure what the specific metric for gauging recruiting expertise would be though.

Last edited:
I didn't vote for any of them and we shouldn't need to get that far down any list, but Miller>Odom>Turner for me

No way Miller ahead of Odom. Odom with the quicker turn around and actually has a Top 25 W in his career. And perhaps the biggest factor in favor of Odom, imo, is that he has beaten Vermont, the best team in that league, three straight times. Miller has been absolutely demolished by Wofford this year. The biggest games of the year for your squad and you lose by 29 and 30. Wow!

Last edited:
Interesting fact about Becker per Wiki: He set a new America East record as the fastest head coach to reach 100 conference wins, doing so in his 120th conference game, tying Kansas' Bill Self for fourth on the all-time list for NCAA Division I men's basketball. The only other men's coaches in Division I to reach the milestone in fewer conference games are Mark Few (112 games with Gonzaga), Adolph Rupp (116 with Kentucky), and John Chaney (118 with Temple).

And he has lost 3 straight to Odom.

Interesting. Oats is the only one the majority of voters could get excited about.

I don’t think we get anyone “below” Turner because I think we will have contact with him during the search and I don’t see him turning wake down to stay at Irvine (nor do I see another school snagging him if wake wants him)

Given that Turner should be at the bottom of the barrel with Kelsey and Miller, I'm not shocked that we could get him. OF course we can. But if it comes down to hiring him, we'd be better off hiring Racer for $250K per year. We effectively end up in the same place.

Given that Turner should be at the bottom of the barrel with Kelsey and Miller, I'm not shocked that we could get him. OF course we can. But if it comes down to hiring him, we'd be better off hiring Racer for $250K per year. We effectively end up in the same place.
Shit. I'd need more than that. Make it $500K.

People here are dumb. Why are more people supporting Earl Grant than TJ Otzelberger? Otz is objectively the better candidate in every facit.

I don’t think we get anyone “below” Turner because I think we will have contact with him during the search and I don’t see him turning wake down to stay at Irvine (nor do I see another school snagging him if wake wants him)

If Buzz leaves VT this year, that opening would be very attractive to him (assuming they don't go after Mike Young from Wofford who also has local ties).

I voted Musselman but I would def be down with Mike Rhoades. Would be nice to finally see Wake play some defense.

[/B]

If Buzz leaves VT this year, that opening would be very attractive to him (assuming they don't go after Mike Young from Wofford who also has local ties).

Buzz is a southwest guy. The fear of VT fans is that if the right opening comes up in TX or OK, Buzz might leave. He has offered a number of kids from that area so a reasonable inference is that creating relationships and keeping his name out there are secondary goals if he can't convince them to come to Blacksburg. The cupboard at VT is looking bare for next year if NA-W turns pro and/or Blackshear takes the grad transfer route (if he's eligible for that; he's been on campus long enough that he might have accrued enough credits). It won't be as much of a rebuilding project as he had when he first got to VT but he may want to try elsewhere if he thinks the program has topped out at Tech.

I still think Mike Young is a viable option. Wofford currently ranked in the top 25.

Back