• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mid Major MBB Coaching Options

What mid major coaches do you prefer

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That doesn't make him a better candidate.

I am not a Grant guy, but I don't think there's exactly a gaping chasm between him and Otzelberger. Otzelberger took over a good program and kept them at that level. Grant took over a shit program (albeit one that has had some success in the past) and built it back up. Grant hasn't taken CoC to quite the same level as Otzelberger has SDSU, but he does have much stronger regional ties which some people value quite a bit..

To me, Otzelberger is just above the line and Grant is just below the line, but I understand why people would have that reversed.

I am not a Grant guy, but I don't think there's exactly a gaping chasm between him and Otzelberger. Otzelberger took over a good program and kept them at that level. Grant took over a shit program (albeit one that has had some success in the past) and built it back up. Grant hasn't taken CoC to quite the same level as Otzelberger has SDSU, but he does have much stronger regional ties which some people value quite a bit..

To me, Otzelberger is just above the line and Grant is just below the line, but I understand why people would have that reversed.

Pretty much this, and he's from the upper midwest and northwest. He's just had 3 nice years taking over a decent program. Very similar to Danny's thin resume at Tulsa. I guess I'd be fine with Otz too, but he's in that same realm with Grant, Miller and Turner. To me, Musselman is the most interesting name on this list because he's had success at a higher level conference than the others. But he's a west coast guy who has also been in the NBA. I just don't see him being interested in our reclamation job over where he is now. If anything, I see him jumping back to the NBA in the next few years.

Buzz is a southwest guy. The fear of VT fans is that if the right opening comes up in TX or OK, Buzz might leave. He has offered a number of kids from that area so a reasonable inference is that creating relationships and keeping his name out there are secondary goals if he can't convince them to come to Blacksburg. The cupboard at VT is looking bare for next year if NA-W turns pro and/or Blackshear takes the grad transfer route (if he's eligible for that; he's been on campus long enough that he might have accrued enough credits). It won't be as much of a rebuilding project as he had when he first got to VT but he may want to try elsewhere if he thinks the program has topped out at Tech.

Is NAW thinking of leaving? I follow Tech, though I'm not as clued in there as I am with UVA when it comes to hoops. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a good player, but he's not as good as Brogdon, and Brogdon went in the early 2nd. I think Hunter at UVA is gone because his projections are the mid-late 1st. I also think Ty Jerome has NBA game, but I don't see him jumping this year. I also don't see why Blackshear would leave for his senior year. I get that Buzz has SW roots, but he's building something nice at Tech. He loses Robinson but has some good recruits coming in next year. He's getting paid well, and he's at a football school where he could have a couple of lean years in a row and be in no danger of losing his job. If Zona opened up, that would be appetizing. But Oklahoma has been awfully mediocre for a while now. And Texas has now been mediocre for several years. Texas' recruiting fell off Barnes' last few years, and they're paying Shaka good money for mediocre results. The expectations at UT are always higher than their hoops history would justify - it'd be good money for a while but likely fools gold in the end.

Is NAW thinking of leaving? I follow Tech, though I'm not as clued in there as I am with UVA when it comes to hoops. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a good player, but he's not as good as Brogdon, and Brogdon went in the early 2nd. I think Hunter at UVA is gone because his projections are the mid-late 1st. I also think Ty Jerome has NBA game, but I don't see him jumping this year. I also don't see why Blackshear would leave for his senior year. I get that Buzz has SW roots, but he's building something nice at Tech. He loses Robinson but has some good recruits coming in next year. He's getting paid well, and he's at a football school where he could have a couple of lean years in a row and be in no danger of losing his job. If Zona opened up, that would be appetizing. But Oklahoma has been awfully mediocre for a while now. And Texas has now been mediocre for several years. Texas' recruiting fell off Barnes' last few years, and they're paying Shaka good money for mediocre results. The expectations at UT are always higher than their hoops history would justify - it'd be good money for a while but likely fools gold in the end.

Aggie fans want him and are convinced he would come. He did spend a little time there as an assistant.

NAW is a consensus top 20 pick.

NAW is a consensus top 20 pick.

This is why I'm not an NBA scout. I just don't see him as better than Brogdon and couldn't understand back then why Brogdon lasted until round 2 - I was so hoping San Antonio would take him in the late 1st. I get the love for Hunter. He still needs to improve his handle and expand his shooting range, but he's got a nice shooting form, and I think he'll ultimately be a much better pro than Justin Anderson is at a similar size because, even though he's not as athletic as Anderson, he's a better scorer.

Do regional ties matter at all? Tony Bennett's closest ties to Virginia were Wisconsin, and he seems to be doing just fine.

I'd say sometimes it makes a difference, especially when you're used to recruiting 1 area. In Bennett's case it hasn't mattered, and he's recruited all over and outside the country. But in VA football, Mendenhall, who had sustained success at BYU, has not replicated that here and isn't recruiting the state of VA well at all. The only reason they achieved mediocrity this past year is they went out and got a JUCO QB, which they hadn't done in the past.

Just can't compare football and basketball recruiting. Completely different beasts, worlds, universes, galaxies, etc.

I think VT fans should be comforted by Buzz's comments to ESPN after the game, talking about a bad no-call in 2014-15 and really expressing a lot of positive emotion for the program. I hope it was more than just the excitement of the moment. You have to love his question to the lady reporter at halftime - "is that jacket velour...?" Hard to imagine any other ACC head coach coming up with that at that time.

Assuming this poll is done the top 5 in order turned out to be:

1. Nate Oats
2. Eric Musselman
3. Mike Rhoades
4. Wes Miller
5. John Brannen/Earl Grant (tie)

Would the majority here be happy if the people with final say in hiring had a list that matched this one, in this order? I'd be happy with this list plus the potential home run big names like Matta, Prohm, and Cronin.

Back