• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mid Major MBB Coaching Options

What mid major coaches do you prefer

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

netflixnchildres

Reaction score
The poll allows for multiple selections. Of the 10 candidates below, pick the ones you would be happy/optimistic about if they were hired to replace Danny Manning

Good list. What about Casey Alexander (Lipscomb) or Matt McMahon (Murray St)?

The poll's are capped at 10, otherwise I'd add them and the Utah State and U San Francisco guys that other people like. I struggled between putting John Becker or Casey Alexander in as #10, and after watching their interviews I gave Becker a slight edge.

McMahon has been more successful at Murray State than HOF Wes has been at UNC-G

I grouped the 3 coaches with Wake Forest ties together on the poll. It seems of those 3 there is a preference right now. 32 votes in Ryan Odom>Wes Miller>Russell Turner.

No worries...I hope we don't have to go that low again.

I grouped the 3 coaches with Wake Forest ties together on the poll. It seems of those 3 there is a preference right now. 32 votes in Ryan Odom>Wes Miller>Russell Turner.

I didn't vote for any of them and we shouldn't need to get that far down any list, but Miller>Odom>Turner for me

If we're going mid major, I voted for Musselman, Oats, Grant, Miller, Rhoades and Turner. Musselman is a West Coast guy, though, so even though he has a good resume, I don't know how interested he'd be. Turner has been out there for a while too and would be the least interesting of those 6. Also not sure Rhoades would take the Wake job so quickly after only being at VCU for 2 years. Haven't seen UNCG, but Miller's tenure there is solid. I've seen COC play and like how hard Grant's team plays, especially on the defensive end. So of that list, I'd assume Musselman would be a no, and the timing isn't right to get Rhoades, so of the rest, I'd say Oats, Miller and Grant in that order. Would prefer Marshall or Matta.

No real interest in Grant or Becker whatsoever from that list. No real interest in Turner either.

No real interest in Grant or Becker whatsoever from that list. No real interest in Turner either.

Interesting fact about Becker per Wiki: He set a new America East record as the fastest head coach to reach 100 conference wins, doing so in his 120th conference game, tying Kansas' Bill Self for fourth on the all-time list for NCAA Division I men's basketball. The only other men's coaches in Division I to reach the milestone in fewer conference games are Mark Few (112 games with Gonzaga), Adolph Rupp (116 with Kentucky), and John Chaney (118 with Temple).

Another interesting poll would be "Who Will Be the Wake Coach in 2019-20." See who can best channel their inner Wellman.

In general, I favor mid major coaches who have coached a Top 25 team (who doesn't?). Willing to step back to Top 50ish to open it up a bit more. Priority to a coach who has built the team to that level with his "own" players over someone who just managed/coached existing talent to that level.

I'm sure that narrows my potential list substantially. Attempted to choose the ones from above that I know have met that standard, but may have missed someone.

I'd put that kind of coach on Tier 2 behind a proven P6 candidate like Matta, or Barnes when we went to UT.

The rest of the "lots of wins but never competitive for an at-large bid" guys I would slot into Tier 3 and be disappointed.

Last edited:
Racer, prepare to be disappointed. The 2 big names who might be interested if you threw them enough cash are Matta and Marshall. If Wellman did not pursue Marshall the last time, I don't see why he would this time. I see Matta as a slight possibility if he's in good health and wants it, but I don't see Wellman being able to land him.

Racer, prepare to be disappointed. The 2 big names who might be interested if you threw them enough cash are Matta and Marshall. If Wellman did not pursue Marshall the last time, I don't see why he would this time. I see Matta as a slight possibility if he's in good health and wants it, but I don't see Wellman being able to land him.

Yeah, I understand Tier 1 is unlikely at this point. I hope, with the right package and Wellman less involved in the search, that we can land a Tier 2 type guy who has had some good national success, and is ready to take it a step further with Wake level resources and exposure.

Back