• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman Retiring; Currie New AD

Retire is a nice way of saying Ben Sutton and a couple of others were in Wellman's office with flamethowers telling Ronnie it was his choice.

That is asinine. Our flagship program, the only one that really matters, has been in the crapper for 10 YEARS. Anything and everything else that Ron has done is irrelevant.

Wrong. Wellman was absolutely crucial in making sure Wake stayed in the ACC during conference realignment. There is nothing more important than that, in my opinion.

Yes, he screwed up basketball in a major way, and I’m glad he’s leaving now as it opens up so many possibilities for basketball, but acting like anything else is “irrelevant” is misguided.

Amazing how quickly one Facebook post by a VCU fan can turn into "truth"...

It’s actually comical. This guy is currently coaching his way into the NCAA tournament, but has had time to negotiate a new job behind the scenes. What if they make a memorable run in the Dance? If Texas were to fire him, then the possibility exists. If Currie ignores Oats, I will be quickly soured.

Lotta things need to happen very quickly to make it all work by the end of March.

In simply to say fuck Ron Wellman. This joint press conference better contain some apologies by him and/or some direct "firing" comments by someone else or the Deacon Club can still kiss my ass. If this is some big head in the sand retirement celebration these motherfuckers can all still eat shit and die. Fuck that guy.

It constantly amazes me how much importance some on here place on quotes to the press in a situation like this. Who care what they say, actions and results are infinitely more important in this situation. We have the first big action (Wellman out, Currie in) and now we need a new basketball coach (the next big result). What is said about Wellman during the press conference is of no interest whatsoever to me. I’ll be interested to hear Currie, but I’m way more interested in the results (who’s the next coach).

Wrong. Wellman was absolutely crucial in making sure Wake stayed in the ACC during conference realignment. There is nothing more important than that, in my opinion.

Yes, he screwed up basketball in a major way, and I’m glad he’s leaving now as it opens up so many possibilities for basketball, but acting like anything else is “irrelevant” is misguided.

Honest question, how would Wake have left the ACC during all of the realignment? Based on my limited understanding of the bylaws it’s super difficult to remove a charter member. Don’t ever remember this being a serious thought, but what do I know?

Happy about this for sure. But let's hope the bball coach search is not the cluster fuck the Tennessee football search was.

Well, hopefully Jimmy Haslam won't be involved with the Wake search - or we don't have a Wake version of Jimmy Haslam.

We can’t wait until may 1 to hire a new coach. Which means we’re not hiring one...?

I don’t think this timetable precludes Manning being fired and Currie being heavily involved/driving the search process.

Pretty bad sign. Feels like a way to appease fans while giving Manning another year.

Honest question, how would Wake have left the ACC during all of the realignment? Based on my limited understanding of the bylaws it’s super difficult to remove a charter member. Don’t ever remember this being a serious thought, but what do I know?

I’d like to hear these answers too. I’ve never seen credible evidence that Wake was in danger of getting kicked out of the ACC, so I don’t know why Wellman gets credit from Rafi for avoiding a nonexistent threat. Bear patrol.

It’s been discussed many times here in the past, but the very short version is that right after Maryland left for the big ten there were legitimate discussions of Duke, UNC, and UVA going to the big ten and Clemson, FSU, VT, and Miami going to the SEC, leaving a few schools (including Wake) without a major conference. Wellman (and Hatch) worked to solidify Notre Dame, and most importantly, create the ACC grant of rights deal that kept the ACC together.

Back