• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman Retiring; Currie New AD

Yeah I’m not too worried about it. No way a new AD comes in (especially when the search/hire has gone on behind the scenes for a while) and just accepts Manning as the coach for one more year.

Currie knows everyone else in the AD and will be involved. Manning is done this year.

It’s been discussed many times here in the past, but the very short version is that right after Maryland left for the big ten there were legitimate discussions of Duke, UNC, and UVA going to the big ten and Clemson, FSU, VT, and Miami going to the SEC, leaving a few schools (including Wake) without a major conference. Wellman (and Hatch) worked to solidify Notre Dame, and most importantly, create the ACC grant of rights deal that kept the ACC together.

Yes. One of the possible scenarios during the major conference realignment was that the ACC could be left with very few members, with most of the schools leaving for other conferences. Wake was not on the invitation lists of the other conferences. Wake needed the ACC to stay together. Wellman and Hatch were key players that solidified the ACC, as noted above. That was important to the future of Wake athletics.

I wonder if Wake talked to Buddie at all or if Currie was target #1 from the outset.

I wonder if Wake talked to Buddie at all or if Currie was target #1 from the outset.

If we wanted the Wake connection, there were three good candidates out there...Currie, Buddie, and Michael Kelly at USF. I think any of the three would have been good hires. Where else are we going to go to look for someone? It is not as obvious as the candidates for bball, for example. So to have three more than qualified guys with Wake connections...that's a good thing.

Currie is the type of guy that until the Tennessee scandal stuff, we wouldn’t have had a chance of landing, so to me that’s a positive use of course past connections.

His record of going after retread coaches (Weber, Doeren, etc.) is a bit worrisome, definitely suggests going the Shaka, Matta, Cronin route. Just hope it doesn’t end with someone like Frank Haith or Andy Kennedy.

Weird timing on the announcement though. Guessing they were going to wait until Monday but got scooped by David Glenn so went ahead and sent out the press release?

Yes. One of the possible scenarios during the major conference realignment was that the ACC could be left with very few members, with most of the schools leaving for other conferences. Wake was not on the invitation lists of the other conferences. Wake needed the ACC to stay together. Wellman and Hatch were key players that solidified the ACC, as noted above. That was important to the future of Wake athletics.

I don't think that scenario was nearly as likely as some of you are suggesting. There was some noise around FSU, not much around Clemson, and even less around UVA, UNC, and Duke. The whole deal was mostly a just a bunch of noise created by WVU fans desparate to see the ACC fail after we thumbed our nose at them multiple times over.

I also think that Hatch gets most of the credit for the ND deal vs Wellman. Even if Wellman played a major role, Hatch's relationships would have been what enabled the whole deal. Replaced Wellman with another AD and good chance the outcome doesn't change. Replace Hatch with another president, and it's likely a different story.

Last edited:
If we wanted the Wake connection, there were three good candidates out there...Currie, Buddie, and Michael Kelly at USF. I think any of the three would have been good hires. Where else are we going to go to look for someone? It is not as obvious as the candidates for bball, for example. So to have three more than qualified guys with Wake connections...that's a good thing.

Odds were good the next Wake AD would be a Wake guy. Most of them have been. Wellman (Bowling Green grad) has been the exception.

Currie is the type of guy that until the Tennessee scandal stuff, we wouldn’t have had a chance of landing, so to me that’s a positive use of course past connections.

His record of going after retread coaches (Weber, Doeren, etc.) is a bit worrisome, definitely suggests going the Shaka, Matta, Cronin route. Just hope it doesn’t end with someone like Frank Haith or Andy Kennedy.

New AD goes back to Tulsa to hire Manning’s replacement to again be Manning’s replacement.

I don't think that scenario was nearly as likely as some of you are suggesting. There was some noise around FSU, not much around Clemson, and even less around UVA, UNC, and Duke. The whole deal was mostly a just a bunch of noise created by WVU fans desparate to see the ACC fail after we thumbed our nose at them multiple times over.

I also think that Hatch gets most of the credit for the ND deal vs Wellman. Even if Wellman played a major role, Hatch's relationships would have been what enabled the whole deal. Replaced Wellman with another AD and good chance the outcome doesn't change. Replace Hatch with another president, and it's likely a different story.

You think realignment was mainly WV fan chatter? Maryland left the ACC, the entire Big East dissolved. Further realignment was very real, but it ended for the ACC with the grant of rights.

You think realignment was mainly WV fan chatter? Maryland left the ACC, the entire Big East dissolved. Further realignment was very real, but it ended for the ACC with the grant of rights.

agree. the ACC made a move because they knew it was a "eat or be eaten" world at the time.

i'm going to wear a wake shirt out today and not be embarrassed by it. :)

Realignment as it relates to those five schools that you listed? Yes, I think that was largely made-up.

I would imagine the May 1 date was picked by Wellman so that if we make a great hire he can claim some credit for it down the line and if it doesn’t work out no one will remember the timing anyway. A way to try to boost his legacy since he’s fucked up the program so terribly. It’s a free roll of the dice.

I think Currie have responsibility for the hire.

The news is a scoop by a reporter. Probably screwed/pushed up the timing of the official announcement.

Back