• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman Retiring; Currie New AD

Despite the May 1st date, there is zero chance that Currie is not the one to do initiate the firing and do the hiring search. In some ways, it frees him up to focus solely on that.

This is the best case scenario from one year ago and the reason it was a good thing we didn't fire Manning one year out of a pretty good year (the Collins year). Wellman would have gotten his 5th choice hire as a dead man walking and we'd have four more years of some form of this. It was a gamble. There was no guarantee that Wellman would leave. I'm not sure he's living entirely willingly but it sounds like the health of wife may have made him reconsider the desire to fight to stay the man in charge with forces wanting him out.

Don't know much about Currie, but I am not too worried about hiring Bruce Pearl. You have to take on the culture of your institution a bit and Pearl made Tennessee relevant in hoops and arguably paved the way for Barnes. We'll see how Currie goes about this. Would be awesome if we let Manning go on Monday as well but I doubt it.

I would imagine the May 1 date was picked by Wellman so that if we make a great hire he can claim some credit for it down the line and if it doesn’t work out no one will remember the timing anyway. A way to try to boost his legacy since he’s fucked up the program so terribly. It’s a free roll of the dice.

I think Currie have responsibility for the hire.

No. Definitely not. Wellman doesn’t get to pick his last day. But 60-90 day transitions are more the rule than the exception to enable a seamless transition. My guess is there will be a gradual shift of responsibilities and decision making over the next 60 days. Currie will announce the new hire - it will totally be a part of his, and not Wellmans, legacy.

No. Definitely not. Wellman doesn’t get to pick his last day. But 60-90 day transitions are more the rule than the exception to enable a seamless transition. My guess is there will be a gradual shift of responsibilities and decision making over the next 60 days. Currie will announce the new hire - it will totally be a part of his, and not Wellmans, legacy.

Why did you feel the need to disagree with me when you repeated what I said. I said it will be Currie’s hire but that it’s a free roll of the dice for Ron to try to twist it another way down the years.

Currie was AD of the year in 2013 per his peers. He had a good reputation and was known among his peers.

Realignment as it relates to those five schools that you listed? Yes, I think that was largely made-up.

Huh, I wonder why they needed a grant of rights deal then? You probably felt the same way about Maryland, until they actually left...

Huh, I wonder why they needed a grant of rights deal then? You probably felt the same way about Maryland, until they actually left...

Like I said, I think FSU probably thought about it a bit, hence the grant of rights. But I don't think the ACC was about to fall apart. Outside of FSU, it was pretty much all message board rumors. Pointing to a 200 page thread on a message board doesn't exactly help your point.

What day did you announce the Currie hire ?

posted this week that unrest within UA had reached toxic levels to the point of no return.
It is not a coincidence my last post coincided with this weekend news.

When does the new basketball building open? Is it before May 1, then RW taking a victory lap.

The $18M is not the real number.

Does anyone have any real confirmation of this? Hard to believe even Wellman would have been that stupid, but Dave Glenn continues to refer to it.

If true, this is AD malpractice of the worst order. And it will hamstring any chance of getting a Thad Matta-quality hire.

Weird timing on the announcement though. Guessing they were going to wait until Monday but got scooped by David Glenn so went ahead and sent out the press release?
I like it. Seems like someone involved didn't want Wellman to be able to own/control the narrative.

Yeah I’m not too worried about it. No way a new AD comes in (especially when the search/hire has gone on behind the scenes for a while) and just accepts Manning as the coach for one more year.

... Manning is done this year.

Like to think that, but don't be so sure. From every report, Hatch loves Manning and pushing Wellman out now with Manning getting another year and Currie getting a whole year to do his coach search might be the deal.

Plus here's what we don't know and will never know: the actual terms of Manning's buyout. It might drop by a few million on a date certain over the next year. That is how WVU was able to afford to get rid of Dana Holgersen, his buyout dropped by a cool couple million on January 1st.

Yes, the new AD starting May 1 will have no say in the new head coach. :wtf:

If Danny is fired, the choice will be Currie's. There's no way he'd accept the job without that assurance.

Back