• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman Retiring; Currie New AD

Like I said, I think FSU probably thought about it a bit, hence the grant of rights. But I don't think the ACC was about to fall apart. Outside of FSU, it was pretty much all message board rumors. Pointing to a 200 page thread on a message board doesn't exactly help your point.

Many thought Maryland to the Big 10 was a message board rumor until it actually happened. Deacon fans were in South Bend and the football team was taking a beating. The basketball team was down to Iona 43-5. And Maryland announced it was leaving the ACC. Not a good day.

I like dealing in facts, and the facts are that conference alignment was occurring, Wellman was the AD, the ACC remained intact, and Wake is currently in the ACC. That’s what matters, and in my opinion, that is extremely important from Wake’s perspective.

i'm going to wear a wake shirt out today and not be embarrassed by it. :)

Just wore my sweatshirt to Costco.

Saw a UT Vols fan in all orange. No comment.

The guy that gave me a food sample said, “Wake Forest? Those guys have a pretty good football team!”

Perspective on how far hoops has fallen.

Does anyone have any real confirmation of this? Hard to believe even Wellman would have been that stupid, but Dave Glenn continues to refer to it.

If true, this is AD malpractice of the worst order. And it will hamstring any chance of getting a Thad Matta-quality hire.

The $18 mil is real. From a BOT

Many thought Maryland to the Big 10 was a message board rumor until it actually happened. Deacon fans were in South Bend and the football team was taking a beating. The basketball team was down to Iona 43-5. And Maryland announced it was leaving the ACC. Not a good day.

I like dealing in facts, and the facts are that conference alignment was occurring, Wellman was the AD, the ACC remained intact, and Wake is currently in the ACC. That’s what matters, and in my opinion, that is extremely important from Wake’s perspective.

If you like dealing in facts then why are we arguing? There are no facts that suggested anyone, apart from MD and FSU, ever seriously thought about leaving the conference. There are no facts that suggested the failure of the ACC was ever imminent.

Realignment as it relates to those five schools that you listed? Yes, I think that was largely made-up.

WFU Lurker, absolutely right. The ACC dissolving was never, never, ever a possibility (and I worked for the ACC for a while). This is Kennedy assassination conspiracy stuff. Come on. Guys, do some homework. The situation of the Big East -- NO FOOTBALL SCHOOLS -- was utterly different from the ACC. Show me one -- just ONE -- reliable source for this BS. All a bunch of conspiracy nonsense.

BTW, and pertinent to the thread, great news on the AD front. Of course this means Automaton II is gone. Now hire Wes, and get going!

WFU Lurker, absolutely right. The ACC dissolving was never, never, ever a possibility (and I worked for the ACC for a while). This is Kennedy assassination conspiracy stuff. Come on. Guys, do some homework. The situation of the Big East -- NO FOOTBALL SCHOOLS -- was utterly different from the ACC. Show me one -- just ONE -- reliable source for this BS. All a bunch of conspiracy nonsense.

BTW, and pertinent to the thread, great news on the AD front. Of course this means Automaton II is gone. Now hire Wes, and get going!

We're excited on here to see Wellman go and your suggestion is that the new AD should hire Wes? Holy shit...that would be a colossal disappointment.

If you like dealing in facts then why are we arguing? There are no facts that suggested anyone, apart from MD and FSU, ever seriously thought about leaving the conference. There are no facts that suggested the failure of the ACC was ever imminent.

It’s a fact that conference realignment was occurring and a fact that Wake is now in a much better place. You seem to think that further ACC realignment wasn’t going to occur - that’s not a fact.

Are you happy about where Wake stands in regards to conference alignment? I am.

It’s a fact that conference realignment was occurring and a fact that Wake is now in a much better place. You seem to think that further ACC realignment wasn’t going to occur - that’s not a fact.

Are you happy about where Wake stands in regards to conference alignment? I am.

It isn't a fact that it was going to occur either.

I'm happy with where Wake is, of course. I am not going to give credit to Wellman for that unless there are some actual facts that suggest he deserves it, other than that he was employed by Wake at the time. I'm sure that in a few years we will get some documentary or something on all the realignment drama and maybe that will actually show that Clemson, UNC, UVA, and Duke were moments away from leaving the conference when Wellman swooped in and convinced Notre Dame to partially join the conference. I don't think the fact pattern we have today suggests that's what happened though.

Maryland to the Big Ten came out of nowhere. There were no board rumors. It was a complete shock.

Nobody else wanted to leave the ACC and they don’t really offer the markets the Big Ten was looking for.

I could maybe see the SEC wanting UNC and Duke but no way they were leaving. We can’t forget Maryland has been a bunch of malcontents for years.

Last edited:
The $18 mil is real. From a BOT

If this is true, it will eventually leak. And if it’s true, Wellman’s legacy will be tarnished for good, irrespective of the damage he did to our flagship sport over the last 10 years.

Good riddance. Welcome, John!

Maryland to the Big Ten came out of nowhere. There were no board rumors. It was a complete shock.

Nobody else wanted to leave the ACC and they don’t really offer the markets the Big Ten was looking for.

The Big 10 wanted UVA (to pair with MD) and UNC/Duke for many reasons (including the Big 10 Academic Alliance). Those schools were interested because the Big 10 money was real (see Maryland’s $50 million buyout).

I look forward to sending in my Deacon Club money the first day that Wellman is gone.

Back