• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman Retiring; Currie New AD

What do you expect him to say? He’s not going to fire him until after the season. The fact that Manning hasn’t been mentioned in any of this stuff today is a clear indication that he isn’t part of the future.

If Currie doesn't start until May 1 who is going to fire Manning?

And on the buyout, if anything remotely close to what has been rumored is true, we need a MAJOR overhaul of our AD processes.

We'll all know soon enough. No need for folks on either side of the debate to get bent out of shape.

Eh, my enjoyment of the ACC Tourney will be greatly enhanced if I'm more certain that at the end of it is the hope of a fired DM. I mean, with today's news March is already looking brighter and better.

What do you expect him to say? He’s not going to fire him until after the season. The fact that Manning hasn’t been mentioned in any of this stuff today is a clear indication that he isn’t part of the future.

Not really what I'm saying. Danny could be "fired" already but doesn't know it yet.

But I'm talking about the possibility of already having a replacement lined up and not having to launch a search committee process while Ronnie is still hanging around. Plus, money is going to be an issue if we're on the hook for $18M and tkt sales are in the toilet. Where is the money coming from to hire a Thad Matta or Shaka Smart. I like hearing that type of rumor but chances are we're doing a search, but at the very least, let's hope Currie is leading that despite his "official" start date being May 1.

And on the buyout, if anything remotely close to what has been rumored is true, we need a MAJOR overhaul of our AD processes.

Exactly THIS. Thank you Turd. Something's not adding up. This buyout might keep us in the shitter for 5 more years.

I thought the timing of this news was an indicator that more than just an AD coup d'etat was executed behind the scenes, such as lining up a coach already. But that buyout keeps rearing it's ugly head as many keep coming here saying it IS legit. That scares me and, if true, really puts a damper on the excitement surrounding a "fresh start." And then to read this from Currie, in Les' interview:

“I would say that the good Lord gave us two eyes, two ears and one mouth for a reason. It’s time to do a lot of listening, observing and learning,” Currie said when asked about his approach in evaluating the various programs in the athletic department. “There’s a lot of great things going on at Wake Forest. I need to make sure that rule number one is to not mess it up. I’m coming in to get to learn some folks and we’ll continue to chart an aggressive course moving forward.”/QUOTE]

Hopefully this is just normal public-face, AD-speak in these situations as it doesn't necessarily address Manning directly, but it was put in the article right after a mention of the BB program and their prospect of a third 20-loss season in 5 years. This gives me great pause and my excitement for already having a home-run hire (a la Matta) has really been diminished now.

Please, someone give me more hope. This buyout CAN'T BE TRUE!?? CAN IT?

Seems the opposite to me. It seems the timing is made exactly to let the coaches know the job will be available and that there will be a new AD. If a coach was already lined up, why the need to do it before the end of the season?

This

The Big 10 wanted UVA (to pair with MD) and UNC/Duke for many reasons (including the Big 10 Academic Alliance). Those schools were interested because the Big 10 money was real (see Maryland’s $50 million buyout).

Good lord. At no point were UVA, Duke or UNC "interested" in leaving the ACC - for the Big 10 or anywhere else.

As the article clearly states, it was an on and off rumor for months. There had been some degree of speculation for years because of the dire financial situation that Maryland athletics was in and the Big 10’s stated interest in expansion.

Ph, just last week you suggested it would take months, or longer, for us to hire a new AD. Please understand my skepticism of your takes.

Because that’s how most processes go especially for a longtime AD. We are replacing a disgraced AD with an available disgraced AD who is an alum. That doesn’t happen very often because most universities hire an AD who is currently employed as an AD.

You guys are insane if you think this makes it LESS likely that Manning is gone. WGAF who fires him? I’m sure both Currie and Wellman will be present at the press conference. They can flip a coin for who speaks. As others have noted, Currie will be on board immediately with some other title... But make no mistake about who is in charge now.

I doubt Currie has a behind the scenes hire already, but it’s going to be his search since it will be his coach.

As we saw with the UT coaching search, he likes to text. I’m sure his phone is currently active on that front.

He will be fired in the next 10 days.

Agree with your statement but may be as long as 30 days. Who knows for sure. Likely Currie will be in close proximity to Wellman beginning tomorrow and have final say on Manning's future. Shah will be involved also. I for one have been anticipating this day for over 10 years!

$18M contract buyout is an obstacle but not insurmountable as settlement at a lower figure can be negotiated. WFU probably has very capable legal beagles who will be able to reduce that settlement.

Manning will "resign" and be generously compensated. It has likely already all been worked out. And Currie has already started work

Yep. Wellman did it on his own or people signed on. Either one is a major problem.

Seems the opposite to me. It seems the timing is made exactly to let the coaches know the job will be available and that there will be a new AD. If a coach was already lined up, why the need to do it before the end of the season?

Yeah, that makes sense, but first we receive speculation about the possibility of a lot more going on BTS, then we find out through Les' article that his start date is May 1. Plus the buyout.

But you're logic about signaling to prospective coaches that "(interesting) things are afoot at the Circle K." Why does this need another two months? Wellman has had 27 years. Move aside.

Hopefully you're right and the process starts in earnest on March 12th, the day after Danny is shown the door at the ACCT. Still though, would be a lot nicer to think this is all finished business and the "transition date" is just in deference to Ron and allowing him to save some face on the way out.

Timing is everything on these coaches hires. But more than anything, I'm concerned about lack of resources and commitment to paying what is necessary to get the best coach possible.

Agree with your statement but may be as long as 30 days. Who knows for sure. Likely Currie will be in close proximity to Wellman beginning tomorrow and have final say on Manning's future. Shah will be involved also. I for one have been anticipating this day for over 10 years!

$18M contract buyout is an obstacle but not insurmountable as settlement at a lower figure can be negotiated. WFU probably has very capable legal beagles who will be able to reduce that settlement.

Uggggg, we're gonna regret this

Because that’s how most processes go especially for a longtime AD. We are replacing a disgraced AD with an available disgraced AD who is an alum. That doesn’t happen very often because most universities hire an AD who is currently employed as an AD.

As I posted above, NCSU took about a month. VT took a couple, but that was more of a surprise (Weaver retired with Parkinson’s and died about 1.5 years later). This was a different situation, obviously, but when you have a candidate like Currie, what is the point of waiting. Clearly this didn’t just happen this weekend.

And I don’t know that I’d go as far as “disgraced” to describe either Wellman or Currie.

posted this week that unrest within UA had reached toxic levels to the point of no return.
It is not a coincidence my last post coincided with this weekend news.

Posted this 2/13. Talked to a long time high level DClubber today who said Wellman recently asked for an extension and was told you are 72, and turned him down. Some good sign So glad I owe my source a cold one!!

Ron Wellman is only a "disgraced AD" among the Wake fanbase. No one outside of the Wake family understands the frustrations and anger he has caused because no one really gives a damn about Wake basketball.

“There’s a lot of great things going on at Wake Forest. I need to make sure that rule number one is to not mess it up. I’m coming in to get to learn some folks and we’ll continue to chart an aggressive course moving forward.”

I'd seriously question Currie's ability if he's got Wake hoops on the 'not mess up' list. That's why its a plus he's a Wake grad and saw the nearly two decades of success before this lost decade.

He was the AD at K-State, can't be overly excited about a Kansas Alum running our flagship sport. :)

If DM has had any amount of success this year the new AD could play a wait and see game. Not sure how waiting a year would allow you to line up a different or better coach, it just become the same issue we have this year and just a year later. Small number of coaches in the booth or out of the game that would qualify, other than that it's prying a guy away from his schools and beating out others for him.

I wonder if Bruce Pearl has any interest in coaching in the ACC.

Well, Pearl was fired by TN had several NCAA issues, so much so that he was given a 'show-cause penalty' for lying to the NCAA. Not sure that background would be a great match for Wake.

Back