• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman Retiring; Currie New AD

I don't believe the buyout being reported

If it's true it is probably why Wellman is being fired

Isn't your math wrong? His extension may have been six years but we don't even know what his AAV is over the entire length of the deal. You would have to surmise, through logic that the full value is well above $18M for the entire existing contract.

But you're "refusal" doesn't make it fact. Fact is, we STILL don't freakin' know.

You’re right. I don’t have the facts. Nobody does.

But we do know the salaries of most of the coaches in the ACC (and all of D1)... And Manning probably isn’t making $3mil a year. That’s a short list.

$18mil buyout is not a fact, either. I can choose not to believe it.

But as I’ve said, I’m sure it’s higher than we’d like it to be.

Yes. Goodman broke it and Glenn reported it again last night three months later. Seems to suggest it’s legit. Clearly Glenn has sources who could correct it.

Glenn didn’t say anything about the validity of the $18mil buyout... He just said it had been previously reported (referring to the Goodman tweet). I don’t think that makes it any more accurate. The Wake AD has never made statements regarding buyouts or contract info.

What is the criticism?

I know there was a rift between Currie and Frank Martin, but I don’t know details.
Arrogant, didn't get along with most coaches not just Martin

Great fundraiser, difficult personality to work for

Arrogant, didn't get along with most coaches not just Martin

Great fundraiser, difficult personality to work for

Well that could be why he looks like a pissed off Don Draper in every picture from the last 16 hours of articles.

You’re right. I don’t have the facts. Nobody does.

But we do know the salaries of most of the coaches in the ACC (and all of D1)... And Manning probably isn’t making $3mil a year. That’s a short list.

$18mil buyout is not a fact, either. I can choose not to believe it.

But as I’ve said, I’m sure it’s higher than we’d like it to be.

I sure hope you are right. Logically, I'm inclined to believe that it isn't worth that much. But there is too long a history of completely retarded, sorry, boneheaded decisions in our AD for the past decade. And like folks have said, if it IS true, likely the main reason Ron is being forced to retire. However, the more we learn about the situation, the more unsettled I become since we still have key players involve who have been complicit in a lot of damaging BS.

At any rate, I was just looking for some more clarification and info since #sauces seem to be crawling out of the woodwork. But it seems just as many folks who aren't necessarily pushing an agenda are saying it IS true vs those who say it isn't. I wish logic would dictate, but if it did in our AD, would Dino ever have been fired after being renewed to begin with?

#nottodredgeupmoresidebardebates

Wellman did dumb stuff but huge, guaranteed contracts that we can't get out of is not consistent with anything else in his tenure

Wellman did dumb stuff but huge, guaranteed contracts that we can't get out of is not consistent with anything else in his tenure

Clearly we can get out of this one. He gave a huge contract to Grobe that he coached through. He gave a contract to Dino that we bought out over years. He gave a big contract to Clawson and he gave this contract to Manning. It’s completely consistent. It’s just Manning is a particularly bad coach.

So, assuming Danny is done, Currie makes a big splash and Ron is subjected to sitting by idly to watch how it's supposed to be done, and we get a consensus big name hire (Matta, Shaka, someone of that ilk, or at the very least a Nate Oats), should we be magnanimous and allow our beloved R(no)Chill to stay? After all, he's firmly been in the #FireWellman camp for a long time and we can all agree that the last 9 years are all worth forgetting.

As long as he's willing to admit he's wrong about the importance of coaching as it relates to effective defense and says how much he loves Dave Odom, I think he should get to stay.

Don’t we start getting paid good money from the ACC Network this fall? Will two years of these payments pay for the buyout? Anybody?

Clearly we can get out of this one. He gave a huge contract to Grobe that he coached through. He gave a contract to Dino that we bought out over years. He gave a big contract to Clawson and he gave this contract to Manning. It’s completely consistent. It’s just Manning is a particularly bad coach.

It also speaks to what a waste supporting organized athletics is, no matter what level. The sheer amount of money being thrown away on contract buyouts is enough to make anyone cringe and long for simpler days and less lucrative TV deals that seem to control all knee-jerk decision making in the world of college athletics. It's not just inflation that has made NCAA athletic competition such a monolithic multi-billion dollar industry. At least at the pro level you can blame free agency for taking stupidity and overpayment to a whole 'nother level. But I digress.

Chill would need to transition to the AD office in my opinion and fundraise. He could do that for a year while Brandon fininshes his college career and then he could go find another assistant job somewhere else if he still wants to coach. I am no so certain he couldn't become a good assistant. I thought he was a good recruiter, he just needs to be working for a good head coach. He has really struck out when it comes to learning to coach from a mentor.

You simply can't keep him on the staff after his current run, but I think the AD dept would be well advised to offer him some sort of role if he desired to stick around for Brandon's last year of college basketball.

Yeah. A few months ago, a former poster did the math and posted on Facebook you could give every P5 scholarship football player a $10,000+ stipend just from the money spent on buyouts.

I'm hearing $3.5.

That sounds about right to me. Found an article on 2018 salaries:

Danny Manning - Wake Forest
Wake Forest is near the bottom of the ACC standings this year, but with one of the top recruiting classes coming in next season, Manning is probably still worth every bit of his $1.7M salary. Terms aren't known on his latest deal, but Manning signed a six-year extension to stay through 2024-25 in late 2017.

School pay: $1,748,878

Total pay: $1,748,878

Max bonus: N/A

Buyout: N/A

https://www.syracuse.com/acc/index.ssf/2018/03/highest_paid_acc_college_basketball_coaches_2018.html

I think you can reasonably assume that Manning had up to $250,000 in bonuses built in to the contract, so the max value per year would have been around $12m for the life of the extension. We have already chopped down two years, which puts him at about $7m owed in salary plus the potential bonuses. 3.5 would be almost exactly the reported owed salary which seems like a reasonable buyout for both sides.

I am sure the money guys are just tired of hiring people and then paying a buyout almost immediately after extensions. Seems like you should almost give the coach a 6 year contract right off the bat and let them know that no extension will be discussed until year 4. This allows you to actually get a fair evaluation of a coach without having to make a decision in year 3. Give them a full recruiting cycle and make the call to cut bait or swim. It should be obvious at that point. Manning was a tough case because year 3 he actually had a good (and fun) year. We were entering year 4 with a good recruiting class on the books and Manning pressed that leverage into an extension. If the original contract would have been 6 years, there is no way an extension would have been given. We would have waited until this year or outright let him go in the offseason when our players ran away from the staff like the plague.

Back