• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman Retiring; Currie New AD

One thing that gives me hope - would Currie really take the job knowing he’d be stuck w Manning for another year? That would be a huge albatross to have to carry as you start off your “dream job”, right? All the good wishes will go down the shitter real quick if we’re stuck with another year of this dumpster fire.

Yeah. A few months ago, a former poster did the math and posted on Facebook you could give every P5 scholarship football player a $10,000+ stipend just from the money spent on buyouts.

Oooff. Amen to that. Between that and administrative bloat, there's no reason to not be paying P5 and mid-tier conference FB & BB players a stipend that ranges from $10-20K. There's an incentive to hang in a little longer if you're a "tweener" on a draft board or need a senior year (cough Crawford cough) to prove your NBA potential. Although I'm sure he's making more playing on the Gaza Strip. I'd actually be down for a % take on school AD revenues to help these student athletes finance their futures. It's an investment in potential after all.

Man, we are all over the place. Sorry. I'll yield the floor. Guess I'm too fired up about cha cha changes!!

One thing that gives me hope - would Currie really take the job knowing he’d be stuck w Manning for another year? That would be a huge albatross to have to carry as you start off your “dream job”, right? All the good wishes will go down the shitter real quick if we’re stuck with another year of this dumpster fire.

Yes, he would. Wellman was at Wake for 27 years. I’m sure Currie is thinking along a similar timeline, so one year is nothing. Besides, no one is in danger of thinking that Manning is Currie’s guy, even if Manning miraculously gets another year.

Excerpt from an e-mail I sent today to the Deacon Club:

In light of today’s long overdue announcement, I would like to rejoin the Deacon Club after not renewing last year, in protest of the embarrassment our men’s basketball program has become under the current administration. Moreover, I intend to rejoin at a level 5x my previous level.

In light of today’s long overdue announcement, I would like to rejoin the Deacon Club after not renewing last year, in protest of the embarrassment our men’s basketball program has become under the current administration. Moreover, I intend to rejoin at a level 5x my previous level.

There’s a sucker born every day.

What if Currie hires a donk?

d55a1c4d751f9b58398a7bbc7e22ce07.gif

My thoughts (other than the above):

I've doubted the Manning buyout figure since I first saw it. Makes no sense in any respect I can reason. The extension may well have contingencies in it which favor the university...perhaps performance-based? $18 million is just a ridiculous sum of money.

I never saw a big boss man that *everybody* liked. Currie has plenty of folks in his experience to whom he's said things the receiving party didn't especially want to hear. People (like this) that feel 'wronged' seem given to talk a lot about it. Ever notice that?

I would not be the least bit surprised to know that a basketball coaching search is already well underway. I'd say there's already a "short list" and contacts made. It just might be that there are a couple who are seriously strong candidates, and willing ones. We'll know by the second week in April, I'm guessing.

Long past time that this change be made.

I wish Mr. Wellman a healthy and happy retirement.

d55a1c4d751f9b58398a7bbc7e22ce07.gif

My thoughts (other than the above):

I've doubted the Manning buyout figure since I first saw it. Makes no sense in any respect I can reason. The extension may well have contingencies in it which favor the university...perhaps performance-based? $18 million is just a ridiculous sum of money.

I never saw a big boss man that *everybody* liked. Currie has plenty of folks in his experience to whom he's said things the receiving party didn't especially want to hear. People (like this) that feel 'wronged' seem given to talk a lot about it. Ever notice that?

I would not be the least bit surprised to know that a basketball coaching search is already well underway. I'd say there's already a "short list" and contacts made. It just might be that there are a couple who are seriously strong candidates, and willing ones. We'll know by the second week in April, I'm guessing.

Long past time that this change be made.

I wish Mr. Wellman a healthy and happy retirement.

Let us all wish Ron a well deserved retirement. And may his wife's health improve so they can enjoy it.

That's my point

He's given big contracts, but giant ones with off market guarantees and buyouts is not what he's done at all

And if we're firing Danny then I doubt we're eating $18mm to do it

But he has given those contracts. Just not to a coach as horrible as Manning. I don’t think the number is particularly important. Any number is too much. What was the purpose of any guarantee?

Maybe the $18 million was approximately the grand total Danny could make if he finished the contract and earned the incentives.

The idea that we would lock in to some 8 digit buyout based on one marginally successful season was completely illogical. I know some of you hate Wellman, but he isn't an idiot, and he doesn't make these decisions unilaterally anyway.

That makes sense.

Didn’t we recently learn Dino’s buyout? Am I making that up?

It’s been known for years - it’s all in the 990s. Off the top of my head, it was paid off in 1 year and was around $1.5 to 2 million.

As the article clearly states, it was an on and off rumor for months. There had been some degree of speculation for years because of the dire financial situation that Maryland athletics was in and the Big 10’s stated interest in expansion.

Ph, just last week you suggested it would take months, or longer, for us to hire a new AD. Please understand my skepticism of your takes.

Ph and TheReff were the people who were pushing the "ACC gets raided" scenario the hardest.

I don't think it will be 4 conferences with 16 teams. That was Reff.

I explained what I thought was more likely than what Reff said. I think there will be 4 power conferences we'll be left out of the big money and guarantees like the Big East. I explained how that could happen. Do you agree or disagree?

Welcome to last year. Now the ACC is more likely to be the conference left out.

You're thinking regionally. Anyway, the most likely worst case scenario is that we get poached and become the new Big East with a tenuous spot in the new configuration.

UVa and GT go to the Big Ten much like MD left. Big XII poaches FSU and Clemson along with Boise State and Louisville to get to 16. PAC-12 stays pat. ND stays Independent.

ACC has 4 pre-expansion teams left (Big Four) and is mostly former Big East and CUSA schools and has to meet certain criteria to get an auto bid into the new postseason.

Uggggg, we're gonna regret this

This. Yes - Welman�s acolyte will be another disaster. Thank you Nathan Hatch. Show me any other University President�s hiring statement for an AD where he/she mentions the new AD�s previous firing. What a disaster.

�John and I have talked at length about his time as Athletic Director at Tennessee," said Hatch. "His abilities as a leader were put to the test through what was clearly a trying period for him personally and professionally.�

Ron Wellman is only a "disgraced AD" among the Wake fanbase. No one outside of the Wake family understands the frustrations and anger he has caused because no one really gives a damn about Wake basketball.

Back